Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #46
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This looks like its turning into a competition of the gadget addicted, so I think I will nip it in the bud. My collection of gadgets that can read ebooks:

Dell Inspiron 710m
Nokia 770
Nokia N800
Bookeen Cybook
Amazon Kindle
Archos 705
JCNIP M218A
Ebookwise-1150
Compaq 286 Portable
TI-83
TI-89
HP Jornada 720 (coming soon, can run Mobipocket)
HP Jornada 820 (ditto)

And this list doesn't include the things that aren't portable, because they're not really gadgets.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #47
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
... so Adam don't hold an AA meeting at the local pub and don't try to cure a gadget addiction at MobileRead.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #48
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
pff, don't laugh, i think my dad still has his. (and will still explain to you why it was technologically superior !!)
Are we married? My Father-in-law is just the same way with his Betamax.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #49
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I'm already paying as much into my 401k as my company will match, and I have another portion going to a high yield savings account for "Emergency Money/Unexpected Expenses".
Since you're young, I'll give you the same advice that I've given my kids. (Maybe you'll pay more attention than my kids have!) Put back enough money to live on for 3 months. That money cannot be used for anything except to pay your living expenses in the event you lose your regular income. Don't borrow from it for any reason. My oldest had to have a hernia repaired. Since he was a mechanic, he couldn't go back to work for 6 weeks -- but his employer only covered one week of paid "sick leave". He still needed to pay rent, car payments, etc. Even though he had a **GOOD** job and was making a really good salary, Mom & Dad had to help him out 'cause he didn't have any savings. Fortunately it was just him and not him plus wife & kiddies.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #50
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, back when I was just out of university with an MBA there were many, many applicants for each job. The employers could take their pick of the litter. The rule of thumb then was to have a reserve fund equal to one year's salary. It was also called a f*** you fund by a lot of people.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #51
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
curbing the addiction

Hi,

After I got the Kindle, I looked around and realized I too share in the madness: wii, 2 reader (kindle and prs500) - 2 ipod nano household, 3 palms, macbook, Asus eee, a couple of old Dells, etc.

At least we don't have cell phones.

My advice echos others:

-listen to your significant other for reality check (marriage tempers finances)
-refrain from impulse buying when hungry, excited or bored
-pay by debit or cash aka pay credit card after every purchase
-another thing I found that works is wait 1 month or more with no forum visits about the product. At least you can hold off until the next best thing comes along.

I really wanted an ipod touch for the jailbroken apps -portable vim, but I waited instead and the craving went away. I also asked what would the gadget bring to my life other than a few hours pleasure that could be spent on existing gadgets I already have. Beside I think a new touch or tablet will be out next year. At least one can prolong the addiction.

I admit though the Kindle is a good fit for me despite the high cost.

My Asus eee doesn't get as much attention because the battery time is so low (~2hrs if lucky) and still hefty weight.

I can finally get lynx like text browsing like my old Palm VII which costs $399 and had a $10 monthly plan back in the web clipping days. Moreover, read books without eye strain.

There's not much else they can come up with unless a new e-ink tablet comes out where electronic paper is truly realized. No Livescribe or heavy 2 pounder 'ultralight', just a writable, searchable 10oz e-ink pad.

Then that will be my very last gadget, i promise
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #52
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Are we married? My Father-in-law is just the same way with his Betamax.
if we are, you're really not keeping up with your share of the housework.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #53
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if we are, you're really not keeping up with your share of the housework.
My Dear Zelda, have you forgotten that Dust Bunnies are now a protected species? I have talked to the rest of the mess in the house and it seems quite happy where it is. Since it is now my turn to cook we are going on a raw food diet.

Adam, I am thinking that while you say all the right things about you gadget addiction you have yet to believe it in your soul. Therefore, I believe that a cure may not be possible until you have overdosed on gadgets. What you need to do is to get a Post Office box and have each of us send you one or more of our gadgets. At some point -- when you cry "No more!" -- you can turn the corner and start on the long road to recovery. (Yes, you may use a GPS.)
Old 04-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #54
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Woops Rwood;

Don't start on GPS devices. I have about 30 or more of those. eBook is a new hobby, GPS was the previous one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #55
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Woops Rwood;

Don't start on GPS devices. I have about 30 or more of those. eBook is a new hobby, GPS was the previous one.

Dale
Oh, really? I won't ask which one is your favorite, but can you name your top 5 best devices?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #56
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Oh, really? I won't ask which one is your favorite, but can you name your top 5 best devices?
Most are made by Garmin but I don't have any of the latest snazy new ones. that is why my book is starting to get old. Mine are mostly handhelds while most people today seem to be after vehicle ones.

For non-mapping I like the Garmin foretrex 101 - it is simple and small.
For mapping I tend to take my Garmin iQue (I have two, a palm and a ppc) but they aren't really that rugged for hiking backpack use.

For car use I like the cobra 5" screen with traffic coverage but the PDA's do a better job except for the display. My maps are starting to get old so I need to buy new maps for to make a fair comparison. Tom Tom is a nice unit as well. I have one of those but my TomTom has a poor screen contrast for car use. Some of the new ones are better I hear.

I also have a bunch of Bluetooth units. I like my Ublox the best in that category. For fishing I like my Garmin Vista for my pocket. For mounting a boat it wouldn't be suitable.

I have a couple of Magellans. Some of their products are good and some not so good.

Like everything else there is no jack of all trades device. You can read the reviews on my web site.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #57
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
A female gadget lover? I need to find me one of those

I tend not to keep things around too long after they've outlived their usefulness. But then again, I have a very large container filled with spare parts and cables. You never know when you might need an AGP video card...

Adam -

I've been married longer than you've been alive besides being old enough to be your mom.

I have an AGP and a PCI video card stashed away, you never know. All I need are motherboards and CPUs, I have enough current parts to build multiple PCs. DH thinks I'm slightly nuts but he's the one with the nice Cisco router collection. We have an agreement, I take care of everything on the PC end and he takes care of the networking.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #58
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Whoever dies with the most toys wins. You certainly got me beat. Wait... Do only operating devices count?

BOb

These are the operating devices! Non-operating include multiple gaming platforms, a gaggle of PDAs and innumerable cell phones. Non-operating PCs tend to be cannibalized for spare parts.

You have to remember this list was for four people so it's not quite as bad when looked at that way.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #59
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Oh, I didn't count the computers and game systems used by the other three members of the family. (Three generations of Nintendo systems: NES, SNES,Game Cube. Plus a playstation. And three additional PCs.)

And my very basic sewing machine may not count as a gadget, but those fancy ones that do sew-and-trim serging or computerized embroidery certainly do! (I lust after one of those, I do... but I've never had the spare cash at the right time to get one.)

I was noticing while visiting a friend recently that he still has his Betamax hooked up. I wasn't buying gadgets when the Beta was available, and have never been prone to spend money on "TV" stuff. I think my oldest gadget is probably a Casio mini-keyboard that also functioned as a calculator (and was used as such in one physics test in high school when my TI-88 ran out of batteries), but that assumes that whichever daughter borrowed it still has it and didn't toss it in our last move.

We could talk about kitchen gadgets, too.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote