Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
sebdea
sebdea began at the beginning.

Device: none
What's wrong with this conversion

Hi,

There are several posts I write asking around questions how to better convert ePub to Kindle. Yet I got no clear answers nor a link to a better software to convert or to lay out books for Kindle.

Therefore I am stuck with Sigil and Calibre.

So, let's take those two files:

[link to copyrighted books deleted]

Could someone tell me what exactly is wrong? What I've done wrong? The book looks good on ePub but it looks so awful as mobi file.

I've tried to keep it simple, just tables and all the styles are within Sigil.

Are there any paid software that are doing a better job than Calibre when converting ePubs to Kindle?

After I google for an answer I get stumbled by Calibre all over internet as if it is the best option. Well it is not working for me at all, except the case I am the one to blame for not working properly. I can admit that too.

Any feedback or link to a real converter or a tip of what I am done wrong would be very appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Last edited by HarryT; 09-03-2012 at 12:12 PM.
sebdea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
If you ever post a link to a copyrighted book again, without the permission of the copyright holder, you will be immediately banned from MobileRead without further warning or notice. This is your one and only warning. Please take it seriously.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
sebdea

Dear Harry with all due respect, those books were done (typesetted and converted by me). The client asked me to solve the issue with the Kindle. So, yes. I do have all the rights to post them and ask for technical advisory or help. So, please be so kind and leave the links again, back where they were. Without seeing the html code how am I supposed to get help?

If you consider that some screenshots would help me better than the real code, OK. So be it. I'll do some screenshots and post them. Meanwhile I would very appreciate some real help instead of threats.

Sincerely yours,
Sebastian
Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you are posting links with the copyright holder's permission, please state that in your post - we get a lot of people posting pirated books and have to take this matter very seriously, because it could get MobileRead into legal trouble. But are you sure you want to be posting copyrighted books openly on the Internet? Your client isn't going to be best pleased about that, is he? You can bet that any book that an open link is posted to is going to be all over the pirate sites within hours. I'd urge you to think twice about doing that. Please confirm whether or not you want the download links restored - this really doesn't seem like a terribly sensible thing to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
sebdea

Perhaps you are right about piracy. I will post some screenshots. I am indeed in big need of an advice so I completely disregard this issue.

Thank you.

I'll get back with some images.

With great respect,
Sebastian
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Not that I can really be of any help with your actual formatting problems (I'm not deeply into ebook formats), but:

You could produce a variant of the file which only contains 2 or 3 pages, and link to that one. This should be ok for the author, yet would still allow people to take a closer look. On a side note, this may not be the best forum for your request. You will probably find more experts in the "E-book formats" subsection of MR.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
sebdea

I come back with some details. After hours of browsing internet and read tones of posts I got the perfect result converting my ePub to AZW3 file. The result is perfect. Magic I might say. However, I run into another issue. How on Earth shall I upload an AZW3 file on Amazon? The client says he managed once but then he got some restrictions and cannot upload the file. I will send a request to their technical support service.

Anyway, until I figure that out, in my humble opinion to convert an ePub file full of tables into a nice Kindle file, AZW3 is the best option. MOBI is a nightmare format. It works perfectly for simple plain text. Not to mention how stupid is when interpreting *.png files. In MOBI format all *.png files will end up with a white background, while in AZW3 they will stay transparent.

For a better understanding (and this time I will not break any forum's rule nor a copyright law) I will post couple of screenshots to see how perfect a book is looking in AZW3 (AZW3-conversion.png) and how bad is in MOBI (MOBI-conversion.png).

My apologizes for administrator of this forum for breaking the rule. I am sorry. I'll be careful next time.

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AZW3-conversion.png
Views:	360
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	93658   Click image for larger version

Name:	MOBI-conversion.png
Views:	280
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	93659