Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think everyone knows by now that I am not a fan of DRM. That being said, if I have to live with DRM, then eReader would be my choice. In fact, I sent an email to Ectaco asking them for eReader support. I think would be a good idea if others did as well.
Bill,

Their web site comparison to the Sony and Kindle says this:

Cost of titles FREE. Ask us what you need and we will run Internet search for you FREE

Have you sent them an email and asked them to find you any books? Like a Patterson or Steven King. Do me a favor and make a request. Heck, request a Harry Potter book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Bill,

Cost of titles FREE. Ask us what you need and we will run Internet search for you FREE

Have you sent them an email and asked them to find you any books? Like a Patterson or Steven King. Do me a favor and make a request. Heck, request a Harry Potter book.

BOb
I'd be interested to find out what would happen as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Zelda,

On your announcement thread you said they will support DRMfree mobi. Where does it say that? All I see is:

Quote:
Ectaco announced that the jetBook eBook reader will support both - most popular in US MobiPocket format and open EPUB format in Q1,2009.
BOb
Old 10-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #19
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Do we really need another "Me Too" device like this one? What point of difference does this device bring to the market? What will make people buy this over other existing devices?

The V3 already is ahead of the jetBook in supported formats and extensibility.

TFT display? No thanks - E-Ink, despite its shortcomings is fine. 5" display? I'll pass.

Aesthetics and ergonomics: I wonder if it is possible to fit more buttons on such a small device? Having such a clutter is really going to discourage prospective first-time e-reader buyers from making a purchase - they'll think that e-readers must be very complicated to use. How many buttons does an ipod have? Has this affected their acceptance in the market? You betcha it has. Why are interfaces for e-readers so different to interfaces for MP3 players?

It is easy to dismiss the appearance of the device with comments like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but there are nevertheless good solid reasons for making design decisions that affect both perception of the device and usability. And I don't think the designers of the jetBook considered any of these.

While we need devices that support open formats common across all devices, we don't need another poorly thought out device that is destined to fail in the market place.

At least this almost makes the V3 look good.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Zelda,

On your announcement thread you said they will support DRMfree mobi. Where does it say that? All I see is:

Quote:
Ectaco announced that the jetBook eBook reader will support both - most popular in US MobiPocket format and open EPUB format in Q1,2009.
BOb
oops, sorry, my mistake ; i could have sworn i read DRM-free in the press release. i've corrected my post.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #21
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Do we really need another "Me Too" device like this one? What point of difference does this device bring to the market? What will make people buy this over other existing devices?

TFT display? No thanks - E-Ink, despite its shortcomings is fine. 5" display? I'll pass.

Aesthetics and ergonomics: I wonder if it is possible to fit more buttons on such a small device? Having such a clutter is really going to discourage prospective first-time e-reader buyers from making a purchase - they'll think that e-readers must be very complicated to use. How many buttons does an ipod have? Has this affected their acceptance in the market? You betcha it has. Why are interfaces for e-readers so different to interfaces for MP3 players?

It is easy to dismiss the appearance of the device with comments like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but there are nevertheless good solid reasons for making design decisions that affect both perception of the device and usability. And I don't think the designers of the jetBook considered any of these.

While we need devices that support open formats common across all devices, we don't need another poorly thought out device that is destined to fail in the market place.

jetBook is very easy to use: I didn't read the manual when I started to operate it. Main menu has just 4 sections: Books, Audio Books, Pictures and Setting and OK button located under screen to choose the right section. After it you can operate the same way as you operate on your PC.
You can make Catalogs and subcatalogs, add and delete books, make search by keywords, changes fonts, rotate the screen - everything is very simple.
You can read this review to get more details:
http://www.techusers.org/2008/07/27/...book-review-2/
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Bill,

BOb
There are a few bits of that comparison page that aren't quite accurate for the Kindle and the Sony. Why on earth are they using the PRS-500 for comparison over the 505?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #23
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Well, lets see. Portability, better dictionary support that some of the other major players. Quicker page turns (for non PDFs... PDF page turns take about as long as eInk Page Turns).

Quote:
I can believe it is ahead in supported formats, but why do you say its ahead in extensibility? It can have its firmware upgraded.

Quote:
To each their own. I have found the TFT display to be fine. The lack back lighting reduce eyestrain to the same level as the E-Ink devices; contrast is better on eInk, but this device supports more 16 level grey scale as opposed to 4-8 on the 6" eInk units.

As for 5", I find it more that sufficient for most reading. The device fits in the pocket of my jeans and my jacket pocket. Ultimately, I doubt that anything larger would. So I expect if I was to replace it in a few years with an eInk unit, I would want a 5" screen size. That being said, if you do most of your reading at home, 6" or even 8" might be more desirable.

Quote:
This seems like a rather interesting complaint to make when one considers the fact that man ebook readers have a similar number of buttons and some have quite a few more! Granted the simplicity of the ebookwise is nice, but being able to do text searches on the book is nice as well.

Quote:
You know, having had the device for a couple of weeks now, I would have to say that the device is actually very easy to use. It is easy to hold without accidentally turning pages, and all the buttons you complain about make it very easy to navigate through the various features of the device.

While I think it is fair to say that the initial format support should have been better on this device, I will say this; it works. The main issues I have with it have less to do with the reading experience and more to do with how it interfaces with the Mac (Which I will cover in another week or two when I write up my full review).

It is easy and fun to read books on the jetBook; this is not to say that it is not easy and fun to read on the other readers as well but that being said, trashing a device you have obviously never used for reasons like usability is frankly silly.

Quote:

Well the market place will decide what will succeed and what will fail. That being said, they support the only truly open format out there (good old ASCII txt files) and are working on supporting the "open" format that the Publishers support (ePub). Not all of the other devices can claim that can they?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
TFT display? No thanks - E-Ink, despite its shortcomings is fine. 5" display?
Why no thanks? The display on the jetbook is readable and fast. The 5" size really doesn't make that much different.

Quote:
I'll pass.
You should be happy that you have a choice. Don't make the choice for others... that's their job.

BOb
Old 10-29-2008, 04:07 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some people just plain don't like eInk displays and prefer LCD. To each their own.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Why no thanks? The display on the jetbook is readable and fast. The 5" size really doesn't make that much different.

You should be happy that you have a choice. Don't make the choice for others... that's their job.

BOb
While it hasn't been mentioned specifically for the JetBook there are other products using the same hardware that support animation using SWF (shockwave flash).
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #27
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who are these "many professionals", please?
ECTACO employees.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #28
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
ECTACO employees.
Maybe Mike Cook who took over as the Project Gutenberg Newsletter Editor in November 2006? Read below
http://www.pg-news.org/20080811/ecta...-ebook-reader/
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote