Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Question Kindle NT and some questions

I just got my kindle and trying to work it out.

1.Firstly, how to delete all collections?

More questions to come Probably

2. New questions. What does dithering, pan to next page does? I am looking at pictures now and trying to figure out what they do. I also see that you cannot zoom in for pictures. That's a shame.
I enable/disable both these options and see no changes...
I couldn't even find a word dithering in users guide which is strange.

3. It also seems to be possible to view pics which don't fit in the screen, you see the bottom by using the 5 way controller. It kinda makes you think that zooming in a picture should work - you could use 5 way controller to see all the picture.

So if anyone reads comics on kindle, tell me how you optimize it.

4. Also is it possible and how to go to a specific page in home screen? I mean if I have 40 pages, can I go straight to page 24? Or do I really need to press next page 24 times?

5. Is it possible to make default settings for reading. For example for pdfs always landscape and darkest font?

6. Using search in home screen. When it gives results the ones with the word in the title are first. I use search to find a book. How to open it? Not the location - since it can be on page 31 in the book, but normally open a book? Even kindle user's guide opens this way on location 31 and not in the beginning or the last read page.
I am searching for a book, I find it and I want to open it and not some location. SOLVED. See comments below (#6 reply).

Last edited by Noughty; 11-25-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

You can actually make picture files into a book. Convert to cbz and use calibre to convert to mobi. It reads like a book, all functions available for a book work for this file too. You can even zoom in a fraction - to have it completely full screen.
The most useful could be screen rotation. If your pictures are landscape you can actually view them in landscape mode.
Words per line actually affect the picture size, unfortunately you can only decrease it.
So from font functions only rotation and words per line actually do something.

It also makes it neater since you can add title, author to the file instead of seeing just a filename in home screen.

Pdf would allow zoom in but it can be too messy if it's Japanese comic of the way to read it. It can be split on the wrong part if it's in landscape mode. Best probably just zoom in in portrait mode.
It would work best if moving on the page was gradual instead of moving to the next part and not showing the previous part since the image gets split at wrong places.

Last edited by Noughty; 11-23-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Noughty
Addict

7. Is there a way to see to which collections a book belongs to? Or only going to add to collection and going through all the list?

I couldn't be any more disappointed in kindle browsing capabilities than I am now. It's a complete failure in this department. I can't even think of what it does support in browsing (no blurbs, no collections info, no book search, no go to page in book list).
Old 11-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
7. Is there a way to see to which collections a book belongs to? Or only going to add to collection and going through all the list?

I couldn't be any more disappointed in kindle browsing capabilities than I am now. It's a complete failure in this department. I can't even think of what it does support in browsing (no blurbs, no collections info, no book search, no go to page in book list).
The Kindle uses Locations instead of pages most of the time. Some Amazon books do have pages though and you can use the Go To feature while you're in a book from the Menu or you can hit the right arrow key while on a book in the book list and choose Go To Location to navigate to a specific place in your book.

If you want to see what books are in your collections I suggest using the Kindle Collections plugin on Calibre or add your own Custom column in Calibre to keep track that way manually.

It does have book search. You can search in a book, outside a book, your archive...etc. Just hit the Keyboard button and enter your search.

To delete collections, while in the collection you want to get rid of hit the menu key and you will see that option.

Okay to start at the beginning of a book, choose the book from the book list and press the right arrow key and choose Go to beginning.

To answer #4 No there's no way to move forward other then pressing the next button while in the book list. I wish there was! I use the search feature to find what I am looking for.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-25-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Noughty
Addict

I explained the book search and it's problem. It opens on location and not on last place read or beginning. So basically it searches just content of the book. I said you cannot even find kindle guide, it opens on 31 location or something. So if you were reading anywhere before that you lose the place you stopped reading. I'd like an option to actually open a book and not location. Think about anthologies or some half read and forgotten books. You use search to find them and good luck finding where you finished if it doesn't open in the beginning. It will open on some 120 location and if you read less you need to slowly go back and guess where you stopped.

The search in book content works fine.

I know kindle uses locations, pages just sound better and is shorter, I'm more used to it. It doesn't change the facts

I want more functionality in kindle not in calibre. I already have to browse my books on calibre and not on kindle. I can see all metadata in caliubre (not in Kindle) so no need for the collections column. I also make collections with calibre so it's not hard to know in which collections book is if I see meatadata.

About deleting I was talking about deleting all or multiple collections. I know how to delete one collection.

I don't mean to sound like I don't like Kindle. I gave it a good review and rated 4 stars. The biggest complain is the browsing of books. Better zoom in option would be nice too but I knew about it and was prepared for it.

Last edited by Noughty; 11-25-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I explained the book search and it's problem. It opens on location and not on last place read or beginning. So basically it searches just content of the book. I said you cannot even find kindle guide, it opens on 31 location or something. So if you were reading anywhere before that you lose the place you stopped reading. I'd like an option to actually open a book and not location. Think about anthologies or some half read and forgotten books. You use search to find them and good luck finding where you finished if it doesn't open in the beginning. It will open on some 120 location and if you read less you need to slowly go back and guess where you stopped.

The search in book content works fine.

I know kindle uses locations, pages just sound better and is shorter, I'm more used to it. It doesn't change the facts

I want more functionality in kindle not in calibre. I already have to browse my books on calibre and not on kindle. I can see all metadata in caliubre (not in Kindle) so no need for the collections column. I also make collections with calibre so it's not hard to know in which collections book is if I see meatadata.

About deleting I was talking about deleting all or multiple collections. I know how to delete one collection.

I don't mean to sound like I don't like Kindle. I gave it a good review and rated 4 stars. The biggest complain is the browsing of books. Better zoom in option would be nice too but I knew about it and was prepared for it.
Do you search in the book list to find your book then hit the right arrow key and choose Go to beginning to get what you want.

The Kindle is known to open straight to the first read mark which is usually the first chapter in a book. This is a mobi format feature. I actually miss it when reading a epub.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Noughty
Addict

Ok, thanks. That will solve that issue. After that you can choose to go to last read page (even kindle says page not location).

That's why I pointed out everything here. Maybe some issues can be solved or I just don't know how to do it.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Noughty
Addict

How go to last page read actually works? I am reading the 14 chapter, I accidentally went to the beginning of the book. How can I get back to the place I stopped reading. Choosing the go to last page read opens the beginning. For syncing to the last page read I need wireless which doesn't work with kindle at my place.
Shouldn't go to last page read open the furthest page you were on? And not the most recent. What if you want to check something you read, to remember something etc.

Last edited by Noughty; 11-29-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
How go to last page read actually works? I am reading the 14 chapter, I accidentally went to the beginning of the book. How can I get back to the place I stopped reading. Choosing the go to last page read opens the beginning. For syncing to the last page read I need wireless which doesn't work with kindle at my place.
Shouldn't go to last page read open the furthest page you were on? And not the most recent. What if you want to check something you read, to remember something etc.
Provided you have not done too many things, you can keep pressing the back button (far left button below the screen) until you get back to where you were. The back button undoes each previous jump in location.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Noughty
Addict

Thanks. I was hoping that it was just some error, I guess it is supposed to work that way
Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thanks. I was hoping that it was just some error, I guess it is supposed to work that way
Why the frown? Just keep hitting "back" until you get where you were.

What if you skip to the next chapter, or go to an appendix, bibliography, or index at the end? Do you want that to be your farthest page read?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote