Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
BadDeath
BadDeath began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Unhappy H2O bricked?

Hey there!

I just tried to update my Auro H2O via Wifi to the new 3.12 software version. It showed the update screen with its animation and everything looked normal. So the Kobo rebooted and showed something "random".
I tried to restart it after a few minutes (just to ensure that I don't interrupt the update process) and now I guess, it's bricked!

If I press the power button, the light near the button turns on, the screen flashes one/two times white-dark-white, but withtout any screen content. The same with the reset hole.

Any ideas how to rescue him, without opening or use of warranty?

Thank you very much!
BadDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The first thing to do when this sort of thing happens is to charge it. Even if it was full when you started, it is likely that the battery has been drained a lot. Charge if for a couple of hours and try again.

After that, you can try a factory reset. For a H2O, this is done by:

- Start with a charged battery
- Hold the power button down for at least 20 seconds. This is to ensure the device is completely off.
- Turn it on and quickly tap both bottom corners of the screen at the same time. Tap a few times until something happens.

If that doesn't work, try again but extend the times a bit.

If that doesn't work, then talk to Kobo and claim the warranty.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
BadDeath
BadDeath began at the beginning.

Ok, I tried this now for serveral times - with alternating tapping and simultaneous - with and without power cord. No reaction...

Any other ideas? Maybe to copy an old image on external SD card in hope the device will use this as an "update"? I'm a bit desperate, now

but thank you for your help
BadDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
Cesco
Connoisseur
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura 2-Aura H2O-K1-LibraH2O
Look here, maybe can help you:

http://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/artic...r-kobo-ereader
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
The happening of the problem only lies in the system update process is canceled.

Now,
While I use a USB cable charging process, the power light is flashing.
Both the initial charge, and the initial boot, the screen is flashing white and black, and then there are the blank screen.

Through the USB cable to connect the computer, the computer can not find H2O DEVICE DISK.

So i can not use manual methods to restore factory Settings.
But
“- Turn it on and quickly tap both bottom corners of the screen at the same time. Tap a few times until something happens.”
the screen twice white and black,then the power light is flashing.

If anyone I encountered this kind of problem for KOBO aura H2O?

I must return to factory maintenance device?

thanks

Last edited by sbwtxj; 02-01-2015 at 06:07 AM.
sbwtxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
Manual factory reset
Manual factory reset processes:

Reset #1 - For use on a device that can be powered on
1.Ensure that the device is turned on
2.Straighten a paper clip
3.Open the water proof door at the bottom of the device
4.Very quickly perform 4 basic resets by clicking the internal reset button 4 times
5.A screen will appear asking if you want to perform a factory reset
6.Tap the checkmark icon. You may have to put the device to sleep then back on in order for the screen to respond to touch
7.Complete the device setup after the reset completes

Reset #2 - For use on a device that can or cannot be powered on
1.Press and hold the power button for 5 to 6 seconds to turn it off
2.Press and hold the power button
3.With two fingers, simultaneously and repeatedly tap the bottom corners of the touch screen
4.Continue to tap the corners repeatedly until the device begins to reset
5.Complete the device setup after the reset completes

i use step 2 to life! thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
sbwtxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
Tyger
Tyger began at the beginning.

Device: kobo N416
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The first thing to do when this sort of thing happens is to charge it. Even if it was full when you started, it is likely that the battery has been drained a lot. Charge if for a couple of hours and try again.

After that, you can try a factory reset. For a H2O, this is done by:

- Start with a charged battery
- Hold the power button down for at least 20 seconds. This is to ensure the device is completely off.
- Turn it on and quickly tap both bottom corners of the screen at the same time. Tap a few times until something happens.

If that doesn't work, try again but extend the times a bit.

If that doesn't work, then talk to Kobo and claim the warranty.
Does one hold the power button down while tapping the bottom corners of the screen?
Tyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Does one hold the power button down while tapping the bottom corners of the screen?
Yes, you do. You found a very old version of the instructions. When I have posted them since, I have been clearer. I have just added the instructions to the Wiki.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
Tyger
Tyger began at the beginning.

Device: kobo N416
Thank you, so much!! It worked.
Tyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:09 AM   #10
camelriders
Enthusiast
camelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H20
For what it's worth I recovered my H20 using reset #2 from above and all I had to do was power on the device and tap in the corners a few times, I did not have to hold down the power button while tapping in the corners.

Good advise, thank you.
camelriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
khaavren
khaavren began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Talking Thank You!

The manual (hold pwr while tapping bottom corners) method worked for me. I thought my device was totally bricked. Thank you!
khaavren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #12
Szyhawk
Szyhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Talking

The 2nd option worked for me as well.

My technique with the tapping was to hold down the power button with one hand (left, in my case) and using the ‘Texas Longhorns’ hand sign 🤘( with my right hand), I tapped the bottom corners at the speed of the amazing Beatles song Helter Skelter. (U2 version might be too slow?) I stopped as soon as something happened, which was after about 3-4 seconds. This worked perfectly on the first try!

Thanks for your help Davidfor, the wiki is very helpful.
Szyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:54 AM   #13
Aurel143
Aurel143 began at the beginning.

Hello all.
I have found one day my Kobo H2O bricked, the screen stucked on sleep screen and the only reaction I can get now is a 10s switch-on of the power button LED each time I "long-press" the button.
It occured some days after updating to last official firmware (through integrated Kobo's update manager) yet, right after the update, eveything was working well.
I have charged it for hours and hours, tried both reset methods but nothing worked.
Do you guys think I can try something else before I throw it away ?
Aurel143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel143 View Post
I have found one day my Kobo H2O bricked, the screen stucked on sleep screen and the only reaction I can get now is a 10s switch-on of the power button LED each time I "long-press" the button.
Your internal SD card might have failed or unseated itself somehow.

If you open the device *very* carefully the card can be replaced but you lose the waterproof property of the device (if you meant the original H2O)

some old posts:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...66#post2998466

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...84#post2998984

- the display is fragile so you have to be very careful when opening it
- the front bezel is what makes the IR touchscreen work, so you also cannot bend or damage that
- when putting it back together, the front bezel has to be aligned perfectly for touch to work again (it has these little notches in the corners that go into the mainboard of the device)
- I cut a hole in the back for direct sd card access without opening it a second time ;-)

Last edited by frostschutz; 04-30-2022 at 05:31 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:03 PM   #15
Aurel143
Aurel143 began at the beginning.

Thank you. You were right, the SD card was simply dislodged... Not a great design!
I have however bent the corner of the screen... I am a bit mad at me for this mistake you warned about. Advice for next candidates: don't think the bezel will come off easily. Make sure you insert a knife/opening all around of the device. Repeat until the glue is damaged enough so the bezel can be removed easily.
Aurel143 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, h2o, update failed