Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 02:10 AM   #106
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
GET OVER IT.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton
One of the neat things about ebooks, and digital/digitally printed physical goods is that there does not need to be any more retailers.
This became true with the advent of ecommerce generally, and yet retailers are still a massive part of the marketplace. This is not for nothing. I don't want to hunt down every product from every manufacturer/producer (Certainly not the big ones -- little ones can be more customer friendly and responsive though) individually with new accounts and passwords at each location. I want Amazon and Walmart et al to buy in bulk, present everything in one place and pass some savings on to me. I want the retailers to use sales as retail advertising so I can further lower my costs by delaying certain purchases until sales occur.

eReader/Fictionwise was great at this with ebooks -- and they helped create an ebook market long before the big players even knew ebooks existed. Their big discounting made my ereading habit and conversion from the used pbook market possible. Without that, I might still be reading paper for cost reasons alone. As it stands, my ebook spending has frozen as I try to find a way to fill my entertainment hours on the same budget. I'm not just going to buy half as many ebooks for the same yearly cost and go on like that's okay. I'm going to adjust spending and that will almost certainly mean less goes to the big 6.

Individual publishers have less incentive to discount than a retailer whose discounts draw an audience to a library from many different publishers (this is even more true for a superstore like amazon where a discount on any segment of products potentially increases sales of all other categories of goods from movies to games to clothes etc). I'd be thrilled if I could get my books under agency for the same price as I did under retailer discounting -- but the reality is that that just won't happen (sorry Kali, but the big publishers just don't want price responsiveness or democratization, they want barriers and windows and control). Retailers are essentially a market voice that aggregate individual consumer voices to pressure prices lower. Agency pricing as it operates today silences that voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton
I agree, If what we want is a direct to reader market, and we all want that right?
Also no. Indeed, I'd rather see publishers fall by the way side than retailers, but in the end, I find some middlemen useful.

Why can't you state your opinion for yourself instead of trying to presume or demand universal agreement? I can respect that you don't value what retailers add to the equation (which for me equaled a savings of about 50% off retail for my entire elibrary), and I'd be happy for you to have the right to overpay for books as much as you'd like, so what makes it so hard for you to respect that I do value retailer expertise and practices and prefer to get the most bang for my buck?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #107
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Yes. And lots of prices go down about a year after the ebook release. That is also the reality.
To a figure higher than without Agency pricing?
Do the Larsson books cost more or less this week than last?
They have been out a lot longer than a year.
That is the reality for consumers, Agency pricing == higher pricing.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #108
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, one possible reason for Random House switching to the Agency model can be seen in yesterday's Apple event, Random House books are now available in the iBookstore.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #109
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I in no way advocate piracy, but I can see where the people who use the Darknet are coming from.

I bought an ebook reader because the books were a little cheaper. This meant that I could buy books from new authors that sounded good. Now with the prices the same or even more as paper books I'm back to only reading books by authors I know I like.

Why are they doing this to loyal costumers? It's like they're begging for the books to be pirated.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #110
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Oh, one possible reason for Random House switching to the Agency model can be seen in yesterday's Apple event, Random House books are now available in the iBookstore.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I wish Jobs would hurry up and kick the bucket....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #111
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but I wish Jobs would hurry up and kick the bucket....
I don't think that there is a right way to take that!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #112
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't think that there is a right way to take that!
Probably true, but I really don't wish him harm, he's going through some really tough issues, but he's also the one (still) at the helm of the Apple Business Model which I despise.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #113
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I expect that this is the first step on the road to instituting agency pricing for pbooks, too. If we accept the rationale for agency pricing of ebooks (i.e., to prevent the devaluing of the content by selling at too low a price), then it stands to reason that pbooks are next. After all, what is being sold in pbooks is the content, not the covering, and supposedly there is no content difference between p- and ebook versions. Consequently, selling of the pbook for less than the ebook price devalues the pbook content.

Agency selling of pbooks could also solve some other problems that publishers face, particularly returns and overlarge print runs that result in remainders and a large secondary market.
If there was agency pricing of pbooks then maybe that would help the few independent and chain bookstores left.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #114
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
I in no way advocate piracy, but I can see where the people who use the Darknet are coming from....
Not really. Any sufficiently popular book, song or movie will be pirated instantly, regardless of price, availability, DRM or any other unpopular corporate tactic. The frustrated consumers are vastly outnumbered by the ranks of those who just want Free Stuff.

The most reliable indicator of how frequently a title will be pirated is how popular it is.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #115
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
To a figure higher than without Agency pricing?
*sigh* OK, again....

• Amazon attempted to set a $10 price point.
• Other vendors (notably Sony, then B&N) did not match those prices consistently, and often had books that were over $10.
• Amazon also did not strictly adhere to the $10 price point.
• Consumers often blasted Amazon mercilessly for any book over $10 -- including trashing titles in the reader reviews and attempting "$9.99 boycotts" -- which indicates to me that the issue is the price, not who is setting it.

A few blasts from the past, before agency pricing existed....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53942
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54338
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32583
http://inkmesh.com/blog/2009/11/30/a...ebook-pricing/

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul
Do the Larsson books cost more or less this week than last?
Again: I did not say that "absolutely no book prices go up with agency pricing."

I'm saying that while it is true that some ebooks are more expensive, others are at the same price as before.

The statement "agency pricing = more expensive" indicates that there is an across-the-board price increase, which is simply not the case.

Thus it is partly true that agency priced books are more expensive. I am not saying that the statement is "false," or "wildly outrageous," or that "no prices changed," or "all prices went down," or "Random House gives out free puppies with every download." I'm saying that the perception exaggerates the impact of the price increases, and is thus moderately inaccurate.

This, by the way, is rather normal -- as people tend to react much more strongly to a perceived loss ("the book I want is $2 more now") than to a perceived gain ("the book I want is $2 less now").

Capisce?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #116
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i completely understood you from your first post, kali, if that helps xD;
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #117
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Again: I did not say that "absolutely no book prices go up with agency pricing."

I'm saying that while it is true that some ebooks are more expensive, others are at the same price as before.

The statement "agency pricing = more expensive" indicates that there is an across-the-board price increase, which is simply not the case.
Do you think the average RH eBook price is higher or lower now than last week?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #118
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
I in no way advocate piracy, but I can see where the people who use the Darknet are coming from. [. . .]
Why are they doing this to loyal costumers? It's like they're begging for the books to be pirated.
Yes, you'd think they'd have learned from the music industry. Make your easily pirated material too expensive and inconvenient for customers to tolerate, and what do they think is going to happen?

Quote:
"$9.99 boycotts" -- which indicates to me that the issue is the price, not who is setting it."
Don't get me started. Some vocal minority has a problem with the concept of market pricing and the meaning of a boycott. For those people, they seemed to actually convince themselves that their issue was NOT price (which it obviously was), but some kind of odd, misapplied principle.

Oops, I guess I started.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #119
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Not really. Any sufficiently popular book, song or movie will be pirated instantly, regardless of price, availability, DRM or any other unpopular corporate tactic. The frustrated consumers are vastly outnumbered by the ranks of those who just want Free Stuff.

The most reliable indicator of how frequently a title will be pirated is how popular it is.
This is true. But at the same time, the consumers are the ones who make the industry profitable, not the typical pirates who pirate regardless. If you piss off your consumer base and they turn to piracy, it doesn't matter if they only make up a relatively small percentage of pirates overall. Not to mention that it has the added effect of making piracy more legitimate in people's eyes, which is the real long-term danger.
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #120
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Curious... so the revenue stream of popular (aka well-bought) titles is seemingly correlative to the degree to which it is pirated.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote