Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 12:22 AM   #1
LivreGuy
LivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura HD | Kindle Paperwhite
Unable to Detect Any WiFi Networks

I'm looking for some help in getting my Aura HD to connect to WiFi.

I received my Aura HD as a gift back in 2014 and happily used it until recently. For some reason, the eReader no longer detects WiFi networks. I've tried connecting to three different networks (home, work, hotspot) but not a single network found. All of my other devices are able to detect these networks without a problem.

I contacted Kobo customer assistance, and they guided me through a factory reset. After that didn't work, they told me there was nothing more for them to do and that they couldn't help me any further.

I'm bummed because I'd really like to be able to use Pocket and borrow library books.

I've done some searches here on the forums but I haven't found any threads addressing this issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

LivreGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I’m sorry about your WiFi troubles. Doesn’t sound fun at all! In fact it sounds more like a hardware problem (maybe a loose wire/cable/connection or defective WiFi receiver) in your Aura HD... I’m afraid I can’t offer any useful advice.

However, if you do magically get it working... I don’t think the Aura HD would support library book borrowing straight from the device, even with the newest firmware. The OverDrive integration is only for current models. (Library borrowing does still work through ADE, but of course you don’t need WiFi for that.)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:50 AM   #3
LivreGuy
LivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animalsLivreGuy is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thank you for your response. It has been frustrating. I feel like Kobo customer assistance gave up on my problem without trying very hard, which was disappointing. I decided to purchase a new Kindle Paperwhite, but will keep the Aura HD for my son. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a future firmware updated will fix the problem.

Thanks for letting me know about the overdrive feature.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Unable to Detect Any WiFi Networks

Yes that can be really frustrating when customer service seems to give up too soon. They don’t always know all the ins & outs either, which isn’t any help.

I’m sorry to hear you went for Kindle. Was the Clara HD not an option? (Clara would’ve worked with OverDrive, and having the library book synced to your Kobo account via the Clara would’ve meant it would sync to your Aura HD too... once/if WiFi worked of course.)

There has just been a new firmware release, version 4.12.12111, which has WiFi improvements. I still think your issue sounds more like a hardware problem (maybe try opening the device up and see if you see any obvious fault?), but updating to the new firmware wouldn’t hurt, just in case:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313381
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #5
LivreGuy

I did look at the Clara HD and the other Kobo offerings which are all very nice. I decided to get a Kindle for a couple of reasons. Having owned a Kindle in the past, I already have a number of Kindle books and audible audiobooks. So in a sense I am returning to Kindle. I'm also a bit disappointed that my Aura HD is not fully functional. I really didn't expect the wifi to fail after four years. I suspect I'll still use the Aura HD but not every day.

I agree it could be a hardware problem. I'll try updating the firmware on the chance that it helps. Thanks so much for your advice!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Before you give up, Try toggling in then out of aeroplane mode
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote