Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Best to avoid draining battery completely ?

Hi guys n' gals,

I was wondering if it's harmful to the Kindle's battery to be drained near/completely of power ?

My laptop battery has lost like 90 % of its capacity because I thought it worked like an old battery.

So should one avoid draining the battery too low before recharging ?

Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
From what I understand, yes. Recharging before it gets past 25% or 50% depleted is supposed to be better for the battery. Someone else may have more detail.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
The Kindle battery has no memory so it should be fine to drain it or not to drain it.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

So the battery used in the Kindle is like the ones used in mobile phones, right ?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
aspen806
aspen806 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I usually wait until the message pops up telling me to charge it.
aspen806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I also wait for the battery message on my Kindle WiFi to recharge. However, on the Sony PRS 900, one should charge on the one bar level. If one waits for the message on that one, there is a good chance all bookmarks, highlights and notes will be lost and the last book accessed will be unreadable unless one goes through a special procedure.

The Kindle battery is far more reliable than the Sony battery.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
The Kindle battery has no memory so it should be fine to drain it or not to drain it.
True on the no memory part, not true for the "fine to drain it". Lithium based rechargeables absolutely do not like being discharged until totally drained. If you want to reduce the overall life of your Kindle battery, or any other lithium ion/polymer battery then drain it all the way every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
So the battery used in the Kindle is like the ones used in mobile phones, right ?
If that phone battery is lithium polymer, yes. The cell itself is a nominal 3.7 volts, with a fully charged voltage of 4.2 volts. I don't know if the Kindle charges to 4.2 volts, but it would get longer overall life, not single charge life, out of 4.1 volts.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=1
Pay particular attention to "2. Lithium What?" and "3. Voltage and Cell Count:". The article is on an R/C site and they do use batteries in a way the Kindle will never see, but Lixx batteries have the same basic rules, regardless...
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All devices which use lithium ion batteries have protection against draining the battery to a point which will damage it. It's fine to discharge the Kindle to the point at which you get a low battery warning. Just don't leave it for months so that the battery discharges fully.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Also, rechargeables tend to degrade across their lifetime of charge discharge cycles.

So considering my phone gets recharged almost daily and survives for a good couple of years, I think my kindle charging 1 or 2 times per month should not have any issues with it's battery within the timescale I'll be using it.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Good stuff guys. I'll start my recharging the moment my Kindle warns me about low power. Or maybe even a bit before just to be on the safe site.

Tags
kindle battery usage.