Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 06-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #16
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
Small changes

This may not be related to the migration, but I decided to ask anyway. Today I tried to upload a custom avatar. A message came up saying that animated images may not be uploaded.

So how did AprilBeginnings, yvanleterrible, and others acquire their nifty animated avatars?
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I must admit that the "name ABOVE" is inferior in my eyes to the "name NEXT TO" the postings.
The width is also a bit of a pain for me since I now have a long strip in the middle of the screen and lots of unused space left and right on my 1280x1024 monitor. I don#t want to imagine what will happen once I get my widescreen 22" next week...:behead:
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Bug in forum software?

I wrote a post and "saved" it. The page appeared only showing the first paragraph of my post. There were two paragraphs missing.

I hit the "back" button and found my edited post ready to save. I "saved" it and got a message that I was trying to save a duplicate of a post I had already submitted. I hit "back" again and copied the post to the clipboard.

Then I "saved" it again, got the error message and was redirected to the post that had been saved incorrectly. I edited the incorrect post and pasted in the missing text. When I saved it, it looked OK.

Then I selected the thread again and saw that my post was missing the text that had been missing during the previous error. This time I hit the "reload" button in Firefox and the missing text reappeared.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #19
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
In forum software it is really preferred to have the name/avatar/poster information off to the side so it does not interrupt the flow of the thread. It is hard to read a string of replies when in between each reply you have to scroll past all of this information. This is pretty much a usability standard in today's modern-era forums. Is it possible to change this back?
I agree, most forums today use the "modern" look you see right now. And now I see that some of you prefer the "classic" look where postbits (username, userinfo, etc.) is shown off to the left. Consequently, we will re-implement the classic look again and make it an option to choose one.

Quote:
Also, it does not seem the front page gives you a popup when you have a new PM any more, it would be nice if the "X unread message!" link that shows at the top was made to stand out in some way, bolded red for example.
This is most probably a bug. I am going to look into this in the next two days. Thanks for reporting!

Quote:
It would also be nice if in linear mode (the mode any non-masochist uses) the quick reply button defaulted as a reply to either the original post or the last post in the thread. Just someway to make it active by default. For linear users it doesn't make much sense to make them have to pick a post they are replying to, to them all the posts are in one string.
It sense in so far that people who actually use the threaded mode (anyone?) to which posts people in linear mode actually replied to. But I agree it is less usable, and when I assume that post people don't read in threaded mode, I may just as well turn back the requirement to pick a post to reply. DONE.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #20
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Great Work Alex!

I liked looking over for the tons of tiny details.

A good feature is the display menu choice.
Glad you like it. Yes there are quite a lot of small changes involved in the upgrade

Quote:
Question: What is that 'Report' icon next to Karma? I don't dare try it in case it blows up somebody or something.
It allows you to report a questionable post to all moderators of MobileRead. We would receive an e-mail with the report.

Quote:
Suggestion: Would there be a way to personnalize the Smilie layout and put the ones we use the most? Because of time considerations, I resorted to learning a handful by heart and type them in manually.
I will look into it. I don't think there is such an option, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible.
Advert
Old 06-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acataloger View Post
This may not be related to the migration, but I decided to ask anyway. Today I tried to upload a custom avatar. A message came up saying that animated images may not be uploaded.

So how did AprilBeginnings, yvanleterrible, and others acquire their nifty animated avatars?
Indeed, there is a new options to allow enabling/disabling of animated avatars in the new forum software. Enabled now. Sorry about that
Old 06-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I must admit that the "name ABOVE" is inferior in my eyes to the "name NEXT TO" the postings.
The width is also a bit of a pain for me since I now have a long strip in the middle of the screen and lots of unused space left and right on my 1280x1024 monitor. I don#t want to imagine what will happen once I get my widescreen 22" next week...:behead:
Both items will be addressed as others have brought it up already. We will offer a liquid design ("100%") as well as the classic postbit view again (userinfo to the left) for everyone who preferred the old look

I need just a few more days to work on it.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #23
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I wrote a post and "saved" it. The page appeared only showing the first paragraph of my post. There were two paragraphs missing.

I hit the "back" button and found my edited post ready to save. I "saved" it and got a message that I was trying to save a duplicate of a post I had already submitted. I hit "back" again and copied the post to the clipboard.

Then I "saved" it again, got the error message and was redirected to the post that had been saved incorrectly. I edited the incorrect post and pasted in the missing text. When I saved it, it looked OK.

Then I selected the thread again and saw that my post was missing the text that had been missing during the previous error. This time I hit the "reload" button in Firefox and the missing text reappeared.
That shouldn't be and sounds definitely wrong. mogui, should it happens again, could you PM me and point me to the post in question?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #24
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Why are two words in my message reply asterisked out?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11231

the words are **** and ****. (d a m n and h e l l )

I didn't realise these words were offensive?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I didn't realise these words were offensive?
They are probably not... to most I turned off the offensive word check for now (it simply contains too many words where one can argue whether or not they are offensive).
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Rant accepted We'll add a "liquid" layout you can choose. In one or two days...
+1 Except I have the opposite problem. My resolution is 1920x1080. It's quite annoying to only use 1/3rd of my available screen area.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #27
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Thanks, good to have this box active again.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 AM   #28
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Rant accepted We'll add a "liquid" layout you can choose. In one or two days...
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:11 AM   #29
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
Quote:
Indeed, there is a new options to allow enabling/disabling of animated avatars in the new forum software. Enabled now. Sorry about that
Thanks, Alex
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #30
taylor
Enthusiast
taylor began at the beginning.

Device: T|T3
https://www.mobileread.com/avantgo/comics.shtml sees unreachable now. I don't know if this is related to the move, but I think it worked right up until the move.
taylor is offline   Reply With Quote