Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Is it time for a separate android section?
Yes 11 45.83%
No 13 54.17%
Other (specify in the thread) 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Is it time for a separate android section?

Recently I bought an android smart phone and being a long time ebook zealot it didn't take long before I started taking a look around for an ebook reading software. I found out there's a bunch of them.

Then, having to take a 50 minutes drive to work every day I got curious if there's some convenient way of listening to audiobooks on android, as the regular media players don't support bookmarking, and the anwer was yes, there is.

It would seem there's a lively ebook community around android platform. So now I'm wondering how many MR users read on this platform and whether the number is big enough for us to have a separate forum section and if there's demand for it at all.

So please vote on whether you'd like to have a separate section for Android platform. This way we will also find out how many users on MR use android for reading.

Disclaimer:
By this I'm in no way trying to say that an android section has to be or should be created, I'm only curious. Maybe the time hasn't come yet, we shall see.

So, would you?

Last edited by Abelturd; 11-26-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I voted no. I don't think we need one anymore than we need a section for Linux, Windows Mobile, or Symbian devices.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
As a recent Samsung Moment owner, I voted yes. Not that I think we need one for much the same reasons as Nate expressed, but just because I'd like one so I don't have to sort through all the Smart Q7 threads.

BTW, of the reader software I've tried I think I like FBReader best. It's a little rough on the interface, but once I have it customized like I like it, it loads/reflows my current tome (Atlas Shrugged) much faster than the others. Just reflowing Aldiko when I change orientation can take several minutes.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
BTW, of the reader software I've tried I think I like FBReader best. It's a little rough on the interface, but once I have it customized like I like it, it loads/reflows my current tome (Atlas Shrugged) much faster than the others. Just reflowing Aldiko when I change orientation can take several minutes.
I second that. From my experience FBReader is a lot easier to configure than Aldiko. I'm getting faster loading times with FBReader compared to other android ebook readers either.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I voted no. I think there should be a mobile phone reading section with labels. I'd like to see the iPhone go away too.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I voted no, but only because some of these devices like the SmartQ7 can run Android too. I don't really think we have too many posts in the Other Devices forum to sift through to be honest. On the other hand, since Other Devices has been growing, maybe it would be cool to break it up under the Portable Devices Category with MIDs, UMPCs, PMPs, Older Devices, etc.. Along with the iPhone forum that already exists.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android