Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #16
alberio
alberio began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 7
Thank you if you can help!
alberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Learn to use proper 'code' tags and 'spoiler' tags.
Your are just making a mess of someone else's thread.

And you wanted the Lab126 sources for the 2014 release of u-boot.
Only one or two firmware releases used it, you will have to search for it. (or open a lot of firmware source release archives).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #18
Egor
Egor began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Hello guys,

I am following this manual, but when I flash u-boot.bin using mgftool2.exe the serial console stops on this and it does not go further:
Quote:
CPU: Freescale i.MX6 family TO0.0 at 996MHz
Temperature: 35 C, calibration data 0x5a15215f
mx6sl pll1: 996MHz
mx6sl pll2: 528MHz
mx6sl pll3: 480MHz
mx6sl pll8: 50MHz
ipg clock : 66000000Hz
ipg per clock : 66000000Hz
uart clock : 80000000Hz
cspi clock : 60000000Hz
ahb clock : 132000000Hz
axi clock : 198000000Hz
emi_slow clock: 22000000Hz
ddr clock : 396000000Hz
usdhc1 clock : 198000000Hz
usdhc2 clock : 198000000Hz
usdhc3 clock : 198000000Hz
usdhc4 clock : 198000000Hz
MMC: FSL_ESDHC: 0,FSL_ESDHC: 1,FSL_ESDHC: 2
mgftool reports an error:
Quote:
ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: *********MxHidDevice[037C1E80] Jump to Ramkernel successfully!**********
ModuleID[2] LevelID[1]: PortMgrDlg(0)--MxHidDevice--Command Boot excute failed
ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: CmdOperation[0], current command executed failed, so SetEvent(hDevCanDeleteEvent)
Do you know what is wrong with it?
Egor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #19
yous87uu2
yous87uu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
ohhh... It's very hard... in Hardware side.

First, Solder NEVER MELT.
Second, eMMC NEVER RIP OFF.
Last, Replacement eMMC NEVER STICK ON PAD.

well, so I break my PW2 lol. try again to get another Mainboard.

PS. I've found author's detail guide here. (Chinese) (1), (2)

Last edited by yous87uu2; 10-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.
yous87uu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:17 AM   #20
ledres
ledres began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Question

Hi, would this procedure work for a Kindle Voyage?
I've got one with a malfunctioning eMMC chip and I'm considering my options, as described here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347204
ledres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:47 AM   #21
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledres View Post
Hi, would this procedure work for a Kindle Voyage?
I've got one with a malfunctioning eMMC chip and I'm considering my options, as described here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347204
Of course, the procedure is exactly the same. In voyage it is even easier because the memory chip is not built under a metal screen.
I know from experience that the whole procedure can be simplified. All you have to do is upload the uboot and kernel of the system and use the formatting option built into the kernel.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 02:16 PM   #22
barbiedolphin
barbiedolphin is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
IIRC - the K5 can accept up to a 16Gbyte eMMC (different manufacturer part series on the K5).
Just that no one ever wrote it up for us.
K4/K5 with 16GB sounds fantastic - I wonder if someone could ever offer such a mod as a service, given how difficult and obscure this procedure is. Though I'm glad I've finally nailed the technicalities of what to search/ask for.
barbiedolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 02:48 PM   #23
barbiedolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiedolphin View Post
K4/K5 with 16GB sounds fantastic - I wonder if someone could ever offer such a mod as a service, given how difficult and obscure this procedure is. Though I'm glad I've finally nailed the technicalities of what to search/ask for.
Although perhaps some electronics repair shops around me could do eMMC replacement (presuming a chip on a Kindle shouldn't be too difficult, especially if I expose first). Would the OP info be enough in order to make the new empty chip usable? The software side seems almost as daunting as the hardware, especially since the guide wasn't made for K4/K5.

And K4/K5 apparently have a SDIN502-2G chip - which larger (e.g. 16GB, or even more) chip would be compatible, and which aspects would make it compatible?
Old 07-08-2023, 03:24 PM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I just solved a person's PW1 running out of storage by buying them a 32 Gbyte Sage.

Really if you are paying a professional properly to change an eMMC chip a new ereader is cheaper. There are decent ones 1/2 the price of a Sage or less.
Also the battery needs replaced.

Anyone know what the screen life is?

This is only worth while if everyone stops making ereaders and there is a shortage of better second hand ones.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 04:29 PM   #25
barbiedolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Really if you are paying a professional properly to change an eMMC chip a new ereader is cheaper. There are decent ones 1/2 the price of a Sage or less.
Also the battery needs replaced.
Then what I'd need is something that:
1. is dirt cheap
2. has physical page turn buttons
3. has KOReader support
4. has >=16GB storage and/or equivalent SDcard support

K4 & K5 covers 1/2/3 and Nook Simple Touch covers 1/2/4. Haven't found anything that covers all 4 (athough "dirt cheap" is an extremely relative concept in most discussions).

Last edited by barbiedolphin; 07-08-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:27 AM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Try to get your hands on an used 32GB Forma?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #27
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiedolphin View Post
And K4/K5 apparently have a SDIN502-2G chip - which larger (e.g. 16GB, or even more) chip would be compatible, and which aspects would make it compatible?
In terms of equipment, most with the right spacing of balls will fit. The problem will be in the software. Older kernels will not boot on newer (larger) memory. I had a problem even on early versions of software for PW2/3 (5.6.x software) so on the historic 4.x I suspect it will be even worse.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 11:29 AM   #28
barbiedolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Try to get your hands on an used 32GB Forma?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.t.h View Post
In terms of equipment, most with the right spacing of balls will fit. The problem will be in the software. Older kernels will not boot on newer (larger) memory. I had a problem even on early versions of software for PW2/3 (5.6.x software) so on the historic 4.x I suspect it will be even worse.
Thanks guys. I decided to go for an "easier" way of expanding/swapping the storage on the K4 NT: through OTG. Someone apparently put in all the effort a decade ago to make a K4 kernel with OTG support (both as guest and host) but a lot of the specifics on how to compile, install, and use it are either lost or unclear to me - I've detailed how far I've gotten in the relevant thread, but I'd appreciate some more handholding there (esp. to avoid bricking it or smth).
Old 08-14-2023, 03:26 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why would anyone want to spend so much time/effort on a k4 NT which is meh! at best?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 06:52 PM   #30
barbiedolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would anyone want to spend so much time/effort on a k4 NT which is meh! at best?
1. I like many things about it, especially its durability (and not least because I have a really nice case for it, which i'm also planning to mod with a solar panel) - the main bottleneck is the storage for me, which OTG would fix. KOReader improves things immensely.
2. Isn't this forum's philosophy about doing weird things with e-ink and pushing devices to their limits? In this case it's also something useful, instead of pure experimentation
3. Tons of these devices still endure, and an easy-to-follow guide (which I'd attempt to arrange if I succeed in this) would be great not just for me, but for everyone who might want to extend the device's usefulness and learn to do kernel stuff with it. Otherwise it seems kind of a waste to have had hardly anyone to ever use the kernel
4. I like learning things but not enough to risk bricking through blind experimentation
5. The vast majority of the work (actually creating a working two-way OTG kernel) has already been done, I just need help safely compiling/installing it (which requires esoteric knowledge which is likely obvious to longtime posters but not to me)

(It's weird how much more intuitive android hacking is to me by comparison - unsurprisingly so, since it's much more popular and well-documented, even if it does require wading through an absurdly enormous, fragmented, and hacky ecosystem.)

Last edited by barbiedolphin; 08-16-2023 at 04:39 AM.