Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, wpub/epub4 is just a "packaged web app" and is meant for serving ebooks from the web. It is nothing like an epub in any way. Sad really.

Do ebook publishers really want the "web app in a box"?

Looking back the IDPF made a huge mistake ignoring backwards compatibility when moving from epub2 to epub3, and then confusing b2b metadata needs of its members/the book industry with b2c consumer metadata needs.

It seems the Japanese book industry is a big user of refines in metadata even though they were a huge mistake and so now can not be removed in favour of more sane metadata in the opf.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-31-2018 at 09:43 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IMHO: Given what I have read, unless a sane 3.2 is released and largely adopted, and soon, the epub format as we know it does not have a bright future.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-31-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: tone it down, sounded like the end of the world!
Old 01-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #33
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yes, I think they do. That way they could enforce much more control and even more a subscription type of book instead of a downloadable book that you control.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Maybe it's a step towards Bookify - ebooks for free if you can accept targeted advertising at the bottom of every page, no ads if you pay a subscription.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:45 PM   #35
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Some do, sure. But the big draw (as I see it) isn’t in the bells-and-whistles that modern HTML+CSS+JS enables—I expect Amazon to keep saying, “we’ll support this and no more,” and everyone targeting that subset of features—but in the simplicity of specification: “Use standard web tech, package it in this simple manner, and you’re done,” or for e-readers, “Unpack this simple package format and use a standard browser widget.”

Quote:
It seems the Japanese book industry is a big user of refines in metadata even though they were a huge mistake and so now can not be removed in favour of more sane metadata in the opf.
I can’t find where I’ve seen what the Japanese publishers are using refines for, but it is the only way currently offered to deal with hierarchically-organized metadata. Maybe a simple JSON-based format could afford them what they’re asking for?
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:03 PM   #36
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Also, “web app in a box” is coming anyway (PWPub); if it’s going to catch on (a big “if”), it might just be convenient to say, “a ‘web app in a box’, with certain features and restrictions, is an e-book”.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Testers needed for Sigil plugin: Access-Aide (alpha level)

Hi All,

Based on the discussion held here, I have created a beta level Access-Aide that is coming close to being feature complete with a rudimentary graphical user interface for updating image alt text attributes.

I could use your feedback.

See attached Access-Aide_v020.zip

It will:

- add primary language (first dc:language tag found) to the html tag using both lang and xml:lang attributes

- parse the nav for the title of the first link into an xhtml file and use this information to fill in the head title tag if empty

- will add empty alt attributes to all img tags (if none already exists) and later present a gui to allow you to see the image and then update the alt text.

- add the metadata to the opf needed for accessibility

- it will add epub:type semantics from nav landmarks to the appropriate body tags or ids

- map epub:type attributes to aria role attributes

Limitations:
- only work for Python 3.4 or later (the embedded python for Windows and macs)
- works only on epub3 for now, requires a nav
- will abort if epub has audio or video resources
- will abort if the epub uses mathml tags
- will abort if the epub uses javascript

The reason for that is the accessibility schema can not be properly added when mathml, javascript, audio, and video tags are present. Selecting the correct accessibility metadata would take human intervention.

This edit plugin is still quite rough but could use some testing and feedback of bugs and things that still need to be done.

It is hopefully useful in its current condition.

All feedback welcome.

Updated: Should now add missing title in a better manner including to the nav itself, and should now use epub:type semantic information from the nav landmarks section to add appropriate epub:type to body or to particular tags with id when missing

Updated: Now tries to build a tkinter GUI to allow you to more easily edit/fill in "alt" attributes on image tags to add better textual descriptions of images.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Access-Aide_v011.zip (4.7 KB, 151 views)
File Type: zip Access-Aide_v020.zip (6.4 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by KevinH; 02-13-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: update for new beta version 0.2.0
Old 02-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #38
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I've slapped together a Sigil ACE wrapper plugin that'll run ACE and display the report file in the default browser.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #39
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I can probably create a python routine that will take an epubcfi and convert it to a file line or offset, if that would help.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #40
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I can probably create a python routine that will take an epubcfi and convert it to a file line or offset, if that would help.
That would be very helpful.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:47 AM   #41
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Based on the discussion held here, I have created an alpha level Access-Aide that is incomplete but could use your feedback.

All feedback welcome.
Hi -

I've tried the plugin at some of our older and newer editions, and on a correctly sectioned/epub:typed epub3 file it seems to work as advertised (and certainly much better than any regexes I had been able to concoct!), except for one little thing: It doesn't insert a title in the nav.xhtml, if that is missing.

I've also tried the plugin on an old epub2 (from 2002) converted by the epub3-itizer plugin, which didn't go well "out-of-the-box" (hadn't expected it, of course - no sectioning and all), but with a reasonable amount of work, massaging the old files' peculiarities and inserting sections, the Access-Aide plugin is a great help!

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Unfortunately, I parse the nav to get the titles for all of the other xhtml docs. I suppose, I could translate "Table of Contents" or "Navigation" or something along those lines and then use the primary language to look up a good title and place that there.

Since epub:type tags can be used on the body and div tags and does not require a section tag, there might be a way to add epub:type chapter (and its role) if there way some way to determine if it is actually a chapter and not an index, or new volume or something else.

Which epub:type attributes do you use most frequently?

Do you always add section tags or instead put the epub:type attribute on the body and divs?

Can you point me at a few (public domain) epubs that show good examples of the proper use of epub:type semantics inside xhtml files?

Thanks,

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 02-10-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #44
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I parse the nav to get the titles for all of the other xhtml docs. I suppose, I could translate "Table of Contents" or "Navigation" or something along those lines and then use the primary language to look up a good title and place that there.
I've come up with this python-regex during my experiments:

Code:
found = re.search(r'(?<=<h1>).*?(?=<\/h1>)',html)
if found is not None:
	html = re.sub(r'\<title>(.+?)\<\/title\>', r'<title>' + found.group(0) + '</title>', html)
It works for me, because I routinely cut up my books in one file per chapter, but if it could be run on the nav only, you could get round the language problem.

Quote:
Since epub:type tags can be used on the body and div tags and does not require a section tag, there might be a way to add epub:type chapter (and its role) if there way some way to determine if it is actually a chapter and not an index, or new volume or something else.
Quote:
Which epub:type attributes do you use most frequently?
Depends on the book, but since I only do fiction, it's more or less limited to part and chapter, cover, titlepage, noteref, footnote, endnote, toc (and sometimes foreword, dedication etc.)

Quote:
Do you always add section tags or instead put the on the body and divs?
I usually put the "-matter'-tags in body and the rest in section. I don't think there's an established practise.

Quote:
Can you point me at a few (public domain) epubs that show good examples of the proper use of epub:type semantics inside xhtml files?
I'll try to find some. But since "the authorities" - whoever that may be - haven't established any practise, I don't think I can find any files that are THE solution.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, when I parse the nav to get titles for each file I can extract the navs h1 to get a workable title for the nav. I can also parse the nav landmarks and extract epub:type semantics for any file listed and use those to add epub:type and aria roles to the appropriate body tag of the correct file.

That should help. I’ll post a new alpha for testing hopefully some time this weekend.