Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
iOS 6 for iPad 1?

It appears that iOS 5.1.1 is the end of the road for the first generation of iPads. This is too bad! Anybody knows better? Thanks, Valentin Bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
Yep, iPad 1 won't run iOS 6. It doesn't have enough RAM, look on the bright side; at least you won't have to use Apple's maps
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
yili360
yili360 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i dont think your iPad 1 can perform well if you upgrade the OS to iOS 6, one of my friend just did it, a bit instability
yili360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So the iPhone 3GS has enough capability to run iOS 6 and yet the iPad 1 does not? That's BS and everyone knows it. The reason iOS 6 was not released for the iPad 1 is that Apple no longer sells the iPad 1. So to Apple, it's OK to screw your customers who paid a lot of money for their iPad 1.

The reason iOS 6 is unstable on an iPad 1 is that there is no specific version of iOS 6 for the iPad 1. iOS on different devices have to be tailored to the specific device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Yawn. I have ipad1. Don't need bells and whistles to check mail, surf and play occasional solitaire. Will use it until it falls apart. I know certain apps may not work after a while but then again I have perhaps 5 screens filled and I use maybe 10 apps altogether. Once it is unusable then I will look around. Wasn't Apple always like this, hardware works forever, it is the software upgrades that become incompatible.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
The only important improvement in iOS 6, to me, is the integrated French, German, and Spanish iOS dictionary, but that feature will only be important for multi-lingual users or users in countries where those are the native languages.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
That's exactly why I'd like to get iOS 6 on my iPad 1. Valentin Bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valb2953 View Post
That's exactly why I'd like to get iOS 6 on my iPad 1. Valentin Bazavan
Honestly, it can't run it. You might find you can get some of the features you want by jailbreaking 5.1.1 and installing some tweaks from Cydia.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apple should be ashamed by abandoning the iPad 1 while still supporting the 3GS with the iOS 6.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
m00min
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Apple should be ashamed by abandoning the iPad 1 while still supporting the 3GS with the iOS 6.
Yep. It's what they do though. That's partly why I take a bit of pleasure in jailbreaking my iOS devices, there's just a hint of sticking it to the man.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why? The iPad 1 simply can't handle iOS6. There isn't enough memory when you factor everything in. This isn't anything new from Apple and has been their practice from the start.
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
In most of the Mac related places I go on, I haven't heard very nice things about iPad 1st gen and iOS 5 in general. Most people have stuck to iOS 4 instead.

The problem I used to see in the app store when iOS 4 popped up is that people got pretty mad because most of the new apps needed stuff like a camera and microphone and the iPod Touch that came out previously didn't have it. I think it's very hard to support a device that doesn't have a camera, microphone, or gyroscope. It would feel like you were buying half baked apps on it and a good chunk of the app store wouldn't be supported at this point..
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky1 View Post
The iPad 1 simply can't handle iOS6. There isn't enough memory when you factor everything in..
But there is enough memory on iPhone 3GS that predates iPad 1 by many months? Sounds difficult to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
In most of the Mac related places I go on, I haven't heard very nice things about iPad 1st gen and iOS 5 in general. Most people have stuck to iOS 4 instead.
They've got to be kidding. iOS 5 is great, a seminal, must-do upgrade.* It introduced iCloud, finally allowing us to forget about iTunes and the USB cable once and for all; a landmark. iOS 5 runs reasonably well on my iPad 1, although the device does suffer from a lack of operating memory especially.

* and I'm not an upgrade freak, sticking with iOS 5 on all my iDevices so far
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
I've had NO problems with iOS5 5 on my iPad 1
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
But there is enough memory on iPhone 3GS that predates iPad 1 by many months? Sounds difficult to believe.
I also find it hard to believe that Apple would make the iPad 1 with less capability then the iPhone 3GS (other then the phone part).

Tags
ios 6, ipad