Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
tropicallie
tropicallie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony600,650,350 T1,NookSTR,GL3,S2TAB,Kobo Mini,KinVoyage
Nook Glowlight 3 ADE Issue

A new problem popped up today. I use ADE to sideload my library books and until today that has worked just fine on the GL3. I've had to erase/reregister twice (once for each book) today. I've had this ereader since black Friday and add library books via ADE at least a couple times a week with no problems until today. When I click on the book image I get a message that says "this book has been returned. Please turn on Wi-Fi and connect to a network to continue". Thing is, I AM connected to a network and to rule out a wifi issue, I bought a book from B&N to check the connection and that loaded wirelessly just fine. Am I alone in having this problem? Anyone have any ideas what is happening here?
tropicallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Any chance it is a clock issue?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
tropicallie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Any chance it is a clock issue?
Oh, didn't think of that. Checked and they are the same. Oddly, things seem to be working fine today. Maybe something in one of the books I was transferring.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
tropicallie

I hate to keep harping on this because no one else seems to be having this problem but as of today, I can't transfer library books again. This time I get an error stating "Loan token update failed". If I recall correctly, the Glowlight Plus had this identical problem when it was released. I've spent hours deregistering, uninstalling ADE, re-installing ADE, re-authorizing everything and it's still a mess. My other Nooks aren't having any problem. It was months before they fixed the issue on the Plus. So now I have to decide if I really want to keep this thing. For now, I've turned it off, shoved it in a drawer and am using my Voyage.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
mbird
mbird began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicallie View Post
I hate to keep harping on this because no one else seems to be having this problem but as of today, I can't transfer library books again. This time I get an error stating "Loan token update failed". If I recall correctly, the Glowlight Plus had this identical problem when it was released. I've spent hours deregistering, uninstalling ADE, re-installing ADE, re-authorizing everything and it's still a mess. My other Nooks aren't having any problem. It was months before they fixed the issue on the Plus. So now I have to decide if I really want to keep this thing. For now, I've turned it off, shoved it in a drawer and am using my Voyage.

Mostly just thinking out loud here, but how long are you waiting between when you load the library book and before you open it? Also have you tried restarting it? I have issues with library books on my Glowlight Plus (not the 3, but still pretty close and supposedly has the same software). I have found that I have to wait for a while and restart to get them to show up and work. But after that I have not had issues.

Also what folder location are you putting your library books in?
mbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
alexandrajam
alexandrajam began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glow Light 3
Glow light 3 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicallie View Post
Oh, didn't think of that. Checked and they are the same. Oddly, things seem to be working fine today. Maybe something in one of the books I was transferring.
How did you fix it?! I just got a GL3 and am thinking of returning it because of this issue ... problem is, I don’t want a Kindle but need something specifically for library books and NOT a tablet! HELP!
alexandrajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
tropicallie

It's better but certainly not fixed. I still get the occasional failures and NONE of the library book covers load on the GL3 until I click on the book and open it once it has transferred. But every time I connect to ADE I again lose all the covers.
Here's what I did to get to this point:

De-register the nook
Go through all the Nook setup stuff except the Adobe DRM setup.
Open ADE on PC
Connect Nook to PC via USB
Allow ADE to register the nook
(this last step is what I think made the difference. I had previously been registering the Adobe DRM via settings on the Nook)

Like I said, it's not perfect. Just better. Hope this makes sense.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:26 AM   #8
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
My Glowlight 3 will frequently lose the thumbnail cover images of books I've downloaded from B&N. They return after the NOOK is synced (wifi must be on).

So it looks like the disappearing cover thumbnails is a NOOK issue, not ADE.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
I would try:
  1. Download the library books to ADE
  2. Open in ADE to check good download.
  3. Close ADE.
  4. Connect Nook--I leave my nook in sleep mode for all file transfers just seems to have less problems.
  5. Open your file manger/file explorer.
  6. Use the file manger/file explorer to copy/paste or drag&drop the books to Nook.
  7. Eject Nook.
  8. Wait a couple minutes for the Nook to finish file operations.
  9. See if the books are there.
OR
  1. Create a calibre library just for library books.
  2. Import the downloaded library books into calibre
  3. calibre will not be able to open them but can be used to transfer to Nook.
  4. Connect Nook--in sleep mode.
  5. High lite the library books you want to load then send to Nook.
  6. Eject Nook.
  7. Wait a couple minutes for the Nook to finish file operations.
  8. See if the books are there.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:41 AM   #10
tropicallie

Bernie - thank you for taking the time to type out those instructions. Unfortunately they did not work. When using ADE, I'm unable to leave the Nook in sleep mode. The GL3 connects via a pop-up on the Nook for connecting as a USB device and you have to press "turn on" in order to connect to the pc.
I've avoided using Calibre with this device but decided to try your instructions. Calibre does not see the nook. The only way to transfer a book to my GL3 is to use "transfer to disk" where I can pull up the Nook as a usb drive. Tried to transfer but still doesn't show book on the Nook.
I had NO problems until the software update. I think my update was severely corrupted. I've tried to reset my device but it resets to the same updated software and not the original software.
I also have a Nook ST that has no issues with ADE and also a Plus that has no issues with transferring books so I'm sure this is an issue with the GL3.
I'm so frustrated over this. I bought the extended warranty and will probably just exchange it for another that hopefully does not have these issues.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
gfieldlasagna
gfieldlasagna began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3
The Fix

@tropicallie I had the same problem with my Nook 3, I was able to get them loaded onto the nook without the error popping up by doing the following.

First I to downloaded the Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 version. The link from the Adobe site took me to a webpage which didn't have icons or pictures loaded but allowed me to download ADE version 2.0, I had Windows 10 as well and I also had to download some NET Framework file needed from Microsoft which popped up when I tried installing ADE 2.0.

I deleted the Digital Editions folder and all copies of the book I was trying to load. I deleted the authorization on the computer for ADE. I signed back in to ADE/reauthorized the computer.

Next, I re-downloaded the book to the computer from Overdrive/library site. In ADE, when I dragged the book into the Nook folder in the Adobe program there was a small loading screen which said "Authorizing Device" or something to that effect which on previous attempts I did not receive. Hope this helps.
gfieldlasagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #12
newtonook
newtonook began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
The fix for Mac

Nook Glowlight 3 using Overdrive (public library) and Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.7 and MacBook Air (Sierra 10.12.6)

I love my Nook Glowlight 3. My issue started with a "This book has been returned" error. Nook and Overdrive support suggested a bunch of things: factory reset on Nook, deregistering and reregistering ADE, upgrading ADE from 4.5.6 to 4.5.7, [unsuccessfully] trying to downgrade ADE to 3.0, disconnecting and reconnecting WiFi, and more. Along the way, the original error turned into "Error opening book. Loan token update failed."

The issue can resolved by switching from Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.7 to ADE 3.0, but 4.5.7 must be uninstalled in order to install 3.0.

These steps seem like a lot, but only took five minutes:

1. De-authorize ADE 4.5.7 on Mac
2. Uninstall ADE 4.5.7 by moving ADE files from Applications to TRASH
3. Empty TRASH
4. Download Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 from Adobe website and install
5. Any remaining Overdrive EPUB library books will still be in ADE; “remove” (not return) them from the ADE library
6. Close ADE
7. Connect Nook to computer
8. In Finder under Devices, Nook, delete Digital Editions folder
9. Eject Nook
10. Re-download desired ePUBs from public library (Overdrive)
11. Transfer downloaded books to ADE as usual; for transfer to be completed, ADE will request user ID and password to re-authorize computer
12. Connect Nook to computer
13. In ADE, transfer ePUBs to “Nook”
14. When completed, eject Nook

The above solution combines nuggets from other forums and this one.

Thanks all!
newtonook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #13
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
The fact that you need to downgrade to an obsolete version of ADE to make it work with a brand new device is very disappointing. But with B&N flailing more now than ever, I guess we're lucky to have the Glowlight 3 at all.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
The fact that you need to downgrade to an obsolete version of ADE to make it work with a brand new device is very disappointing. But with B&N flailing more now than ever, I guess we're lucky to have the Glowlight 3 at all.
Hmmmm.... I'm still living with ADE 2.0.1. It downloads the few library books that I can't sync to my KA1 and transfers them without any issues I've seen. After the problems I had with ADE 3 and then the spying on the user and sending it in the clear with ADE 4, I reverted to 2.0.1 and will likely stay there until the library updates their Adobe Content Server to make updating a necessity.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #15
llempert
llempert began at the beginning.

Device: Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonook View Post
Nook Glowlight 3 using Overdrive (public library) and Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.7 and MacBook Air (Sierra 10.12.6)

These steps seem like a lot, but only took five minutes:

1. De-authorize ADE 4.5.7 on Mac
2. Uninstall ADE 4.5.7 by moving ADE files from Applications to TRASH
3. Empty TRASH
4. Download Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 from Adobe website and install
5. Any remaining Overdrive EPUB library books will still be in ADE; “remove” (not return) them from the ADE library
6. Close ADE
7. Connect Nook to computer
8. In Finder under Devices, Nook, delete Digital Editions folder
9. Eject Nook
10. Re-download desired ePUBs from public library (Overdrive)
11. Transfer downloaded books to ADE as usual; for transfer to be completed, ADE will request user ID and password to re-authorize computer
12. Connect Nook to computer
13. In ADE, transfer ePUBs to “Nook”
14. When completed, eject Nook
As of January 2020, I was encountering the "Loan token update failed" problem, and thanks to the advice quoted above was able to solve it, but with fewer steps. The devices and applications at issue are Glowlight 3, ADE version 4.5.10, and MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6. With the Glowlight connected to the MacBook, and having accepted "Turn On" in response to the Glowlight's USB prompt, I went to NOOK > Devices, and deleted the Adobe Digital Editions folder. (I had previously authorized both the MacBook and the Glowlight within ADE, but note: I did not find it necessary to to revert to an earlier version of ADE.) Then in ADE, via File > Copy to Device > NOOK, I copied my Overdrive-borrowed book to the NOOK. At first it came up in the Glowlight Bookshelf with no cover, as before, but this time I was able to open it without getting the "Loan token" error message. Bottom line: deleting the ADE folder within the NOOK directory by itself was enough to overcome the loan token error.
llempert is offline   Reply With Quote