Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
The only issue I know of is in the concept itself. Amber/orange color? Meh. Colors reduce contrast. Give me a device that has the warm white color of a trade paperback. At night, I can dial down the brightness and it's plenty comfortable... But no thanks to the orange!
I'm curious: Have you actually used a reader with the color changing light for any amount of time (longer than playing with one as a display in a store)?

I ask because I was in the same boat as you, until I got the Glowlight 3 and used it to read in a completely darkened room. A reader can get by with the whiteness of a screen, though the amber glow is more pleasant. For others in the room, the less harsh amber glow is very nice.

Edit: I just read up the thread. I'm repeating myself!

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-30-2018 at 09:59 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
...he's also predicting the end of the Voyage, with no replacement. That seems less likely.
I will say that I went to Best Buy over the weekend and Amazon had all models of the Kindle Fire on display, along with the Paperwhite and the Oasis. But no Voyage to be seen, nor an empty spot where one might have been.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I will say that I went to Best Buy over the weekend and Amazon had all models of the Kindle Fire on display, along with the Paperwhite and the Oasis. But no Voyage to be seen, nor an empty spot where one might have been.
I was afraid they would discontinue the Voyage. I really like mine too. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the new Paperwhite will be whenever they release it.

Comfort light is not something I would buy a new one for, hopefully they will add some of the Voyage to it. I really hope they keep the same Paperwhite battery in the new one too.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
A pair of these will make every kindle a comfort light kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ojadg87n-1153.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	163846  

Last edited by BenG; 05-07-2018 at 11:51 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #20
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
A pair of these will make every kindle will be a comfort light kindle.
And stylish too !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2018, 04:46 AM   #21
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I probably won't buy a V4 until my V2 bites the dust. All that stuff sounds, 'nice' (though I've never had problems with the color of the light!), but another 6 inch screen means that as I age I'll be looking at 3 or 4 letters per screen! It will be exhausting from the page turns alone to get through an easy read like "War and Peace", or the mythical last volume of GOT.
According to modern medical science, EVERYONE has a problem with the colour of the light. Screens that emit Blue Light damage sleep patterns. Most people don't realise this, they don't attribute loss of energy, tiredness, difficulty falling and staying asleep with screens. As for aging, you use reading glasses to magnify text on a small screen. Simple and effective solution.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:09 AM   #22
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
According to modern medical science, EVERYONE has a problem with the colour of the light. Screens that emit Blue Light damage sleep patterns. Most people don't realise this, they don't attribute loss of energy, tiredness, difficulty falling and staying asleep with screens.
Screens that are set very brightly and used for long periods of time cause problems, yes. The oft-cited "Ebooks will kill your sleep!" study had subjects reading a iPad on full brightness for two hours to come up with a very modest effect on sleep. I can't imagine reading on an iPad in full brightness indoors for a minute or two, let alone two hours - that's an enormous dose of light compared to a well-adjusted eink reader.

I like my H2O2 adjustable temperature light aesthetically, but I'm not convinced it has made any difference at all to my sleep.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never had a problem with falling asleep and I read on my Surface Pro 4 every night before going to sleep. I have always had the ability to fall asleep immediately. I also go from being asleep to being fully awake instantly. My wife thinks I am a mutant. One second I am asleep and the next I am awake and standing on my feet.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My wife thinks I am a mutant. Apache
One of those home DNA tests should resolve something like that.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #25
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
According to modern medical science, EVERYONE has a problem with the colour of the light. Screens that emit Blue Light damage sleep patterns.
Actually no, whether the study is thorough or poorly done you can't take isolated research and extrapolate to everyone in all conditions. That is just not how science works. One needs to do repeated trials or experiments under different conditions with different subjects AND different experimenters before reaching a broad conclusion. And probably still the conclusion could never be as broad as what you are asserting.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
According to modern medical science, EVERYONE has a problem with the colour of the light. Screens that emit Blue Light damage sleep patterns. Most people don't realise this, they don't attribute loss of energy, tiredness, difficulty falling and staying asleep with screens. As for aging, you use reading glasses to magnify text on a small screen. Simple and effective solution.
According to some theories, that may be the case. Of course, the old punch line "It's true in theory, even if it isn't true in reality", come to mind. In reality, everyone reacts differently. Some people need more sleep than other people. Some people can go to sleep after drinking a cup of coffee. I can't begin to list all the various substances that modern medical science has assured us causes cancer.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have never had a problem with falling asleep and I read on my Surface Pro 4 every night before going to sleep. I have always had the ability to fall asleep immediately. I also go from being asleep to being fully awake instantly. My wife thinks I am a mutant. One second I am asleep and the next I am awake and standing on my feet.
Apache
Many a time, I've fallen asleep while reading my iPad. I've never had problems falling asleep. I'm also someone who has gotten by fine with 6 hours sleep consistently over the last 30+ years, even though medical science assures us that everyone needs precisely 8 hours sleep each night. I get up at the same time every morning, week day or week end. I guess I must be a mutant as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've gone to bed in the morning and risen in the afternoon (i.e. been up all night) almost every day for the last 30 years. Going by various studies, I should be long dead. So I'm probably a mutant too.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #29
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Many a time, I've fallen asleep while reading my iPad. I've never had problems falling asleep. I'm also someone who has gotten by fine with 6 hours sleep consistently over the last 30+ years, even though medical science assures us that everyone needs precisely 8 hours sleep each night. I get up at the same time every morning, week day or week end. I guess I must be a mutant as well.
We may be related. I also only need 6 hours of sleep a night. I always have. I had a friend that thought he had insomnia all of his life. When he reached his late sixties he discovered that he only needed two hours of sleep out of 24.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #30
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
With all those lights, the battery ought to last at least half a day. But judging from the latest Oasis, Amazon doesn't think the market cares about a long-lasting battery. Just more bells and whistles.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote