Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
RegEx Function: Title Case

Trying to use the wonderful new F&R functions to replace ALL CAPS headings

The fragment in the manual works unless there's a <br/> in the Hx tags

So if it looks like

<h1> CHAPTER 2 <br/>AWAY WE GO</h1>

it seems that the embedded <br/> causes it to not find

I cannot figure out how to modify the Find expression to handle that case

What is the modifications needed?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	132976  

Last edited by phossler; 12-26-2014 at 09:28 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
(?s)<h\d>(.+?)</h\d>
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to find the test text

Is there a setting or something I should change?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	343
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	133015  
Old 12-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Thanks, but it doesn't seem to find the test text

Is there a setting or something I should change?
If you've picked the expression of Kovid by the method of copying and pasting, likely that expression in the editor has a space at the end.
And naturally finds nothing.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
phossler
Wizard

Yep, it was a trailing space

However, the < and > in the <br/> gets replaced by named enetities

The end result seems to be they're treated like normal text instead of a tag

So I'm wondering if it's even possible to title case multiple lines

BTW, I do it that way so that the TOC has both lines as an entry:

Chapter 1 Now It All Starts
Chapter 2 And It Keeps On Going
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	348
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	133021  
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(?s)<h\d>(.+?)<br>(.+?)</h\d>
Old 12-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
phossler
Wizard

Thanks, but that RE doesn't seem to find anything. I made sure that there was no invisible trailing space in the Find expression ... this time

Quote:
calibre, version 2.14.0
ERROR: Not found: <p>No matches were found for <pre style="font-style:italic">(?s)&lt;h\d&gt;(.+?)&lt;br&gt;(.+?)& lt;/h\d&gt;</pre>
Sorry to be a pest, but I just finished manually TitleCasing a book with 40+ two line headings using the [Change Case] option, so I wanted to be ready the next time

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	326
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	133084  
Old 12-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
the BR did not include a space and self closing slash
Code:
(?s)<h\d>(.+?)<br\s*/>(.+?)</h\d>
Literals in the pattern must match exactly what you want to match

the \s* handles the unpretty (no space) condition of your original
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

(?s)<h\d>(.+?)<br\s*/?>(.+?)</h\d>
Old 12-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
phossler
Wizard

Thanks to both of you for your help, but the Find string is still either finding too much or nothing, as well as returning entities which end up being ignored (i.e. the <br/> 's)

The User Manual example

Code:
<[Hh][1-6][^>]*>([^<>]+)</[hH][1-6]>
works fine if there are no < or > between the Hx tags and that's what I started with, i.e. trying to make it handle the case where there might be <br/> tags or not. I hadn't even gotten to the point of handling spaces

I'd appreciate any more ideas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	133089   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	133090  
Old 12-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I tried the following expression and it works both for heading tags with <br> inside and without br inside.

Code:
<[Hh][1-6][^>]*>([^<>]*)(?:<[^<>]+>){0,1}([^<>]*)</[hH][1-6]>
Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
phossler
Wizard

Thanks very much

It will take me a while to understand it, but hopefully I'll learn some new reg ex techniques
Old 12-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Thanks very much

It will take me a while to understand it, but hopefully I'll learn some new reg ex techniques
Maybe this can help Regular Expression Analyzer

I've no idea if its any good, but I find it useful to try to unravel obscure RE.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-29-2014 at 01:37 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
phossler
Wizard

@BR -- thanks. Very helpful.

I'm still looking for the RE that says "Do what I want" and not "What I Told You To Do"
Old 12-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
phossler
Wizard

I'm wondering if I have an issue with the actual TitleCasing RegEx-Function?

For this fragment ...

Code:
<body>

<h1>TEST1 TEST1 TEST1 TEST1 TEST1 </h1>

<p>NOW IS THE TIME and this should remain mixed case</p>

<h1>TEST2 TEST2 TEST2 <br/><br/>TEST3 TEST3 </h1>

<p>NOW IS THE TIME and this should remain mixed case</p>

<h1>TEST4 <i>TEST4 TEST4 TEST4</i> TEST4 </h1>

</body>

... my Find expression

Code:
\<([Hh][1-6])\>.*?\</\1\>
... will find step through and highlight just the three H1 open/close pairs and what is between them (#2 in picture), but a Replace doesn't do anything except make the <h into a <H (#1 in picture)

It would seem to me that if the built in Title Case would ignore tags and what's in them, and just act on the 'Find' it should / would work for any embedded tags inside Hx pairs not just <br/>

Am I misunderstanding?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	346
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	133150  

Last edited by phossler; 12-30-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Can't type