Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Der_Andi
Der_Andi began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
PageEdit 1.2.0 would not run under Kubuntu 20.04 and Mint 20

Hello together,
i installed PagEdit 1.2.0 under Kubuntu 18.04 and Mint 19. PageEdit works fine! Then
i installed PagEdit 1.2.0 under Kubuntu 20.04 and Mint 20 Beta. But ist doesn't work.
Under Kubuntu 20.04 the program starts, but when i press the Delete-Button, complete paragraphs will be deleted, also when i insert bullets, the program will delete the marked sentences.
Does anybody have an idea?
-
Thank you and best regards, Der_Andi
Der_Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Where are you getting your Linux packages for PageEdit? Are you building it yourself? What versions of Qt5 and Qt5WebEngine are installed on the working systems vs the non-working systems?

I am guessing incompatible Qt5 versions are the issue.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, any PageEdit in KUbuntu 18.04 will be built against Qt 5.9.x. This version is quite old and is borderline for its QtWebEngine support.

In Kubuntu 20.04 should use Qt 5.12.5 or later. Please note Qt 5.12.4 is very very broken from Ubuntu 19.10 and should not be used.

I would try installing a PageEdit compiled against Qt 5.12.5.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
20.04 should come with Qt5.12.× by default, so it shouldn't be Qt related. it's probably some new KDE-nonsense. KDE customizes the crap out of the system Qt.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-18-2020 at 04:27 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer

As long as it is not Qt 5.12.4 with the bad change Qt devs had to reverse.
Advert
Old 06-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
Der_Andi

Thank you KevinH for your very fast answer.
I builded it myself from the zip-file from the PageEdit-page on both (working and non-working) systems
The version of Qt5 and Qt5Webengine is 5.12.8. on the non-working system and 5.9.5 on the working system.
I have really no idea how i can downgrade to an older Qt-version.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
Der_Andi

Uhh, sorry, but i've forgotten to tell you that both LinuxMint-Versions i tested also, are running with Cinnamon (without KDE-nonsense ;-)
Best regards, Der_Andi
Old 06-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You shouldn't have to downgrade. 5.12.8 should work just fine. Better than 5.9.5 in fact.

I'll try to set up a VM this weekend and do some testing. But if 20.04 is using Qt5.12.x, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to update their repo versions of PageEdit/Sigil. (assuming they have a PageEdit package).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-18-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #9
Der_Andi

Thank you so much, DiapDealer and KevinH
Old 06-18-2020, 10:15 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FYI, Qt 5.12.9 was released yesterday (June 17, 2020).
Old 06-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I set up a brand new Kubuntu 20.04 virtual machine, installed the build tools and the necessary dependencies and built PageEdit (both the latest git master and the tagged 1.2.0) and Sigil with no difficulties. Both work as I basically expect them to (both separately and integrated). No paragraphs deleted with the delete button.

But I DO see some weirdness happening when trying to create lists out of highlighted content. When highlighting existing lists, changing them from bulleted to numbered and back seems to work just fine. But it's all wonky when highlighting "normal" text and trying to convert it to a list. Doing this seems to delete the content and shift the highlighting down somehow. It does not behave this way on my Arch machine.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
Der_Andi

Thank you DiapDealer for your work. I tried PageEdit with the actual Manjaro (20.0.3, with KDE) and it works perfect. I had not to compile the program, because it's in the official repository.
-
Thank you very much and best regards, Der_Andi
Old 06-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #13
Der_Andi

I'm sorry, but her i am again. DiapDealer, you said that you installed the build tools and the necessary dependencies. Please can you post which tools and dependencies you have installed? I installed as described in 'README.md':

sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake qtwebengine5-dev qttools5-dev qttools5-dev-tools

mkdir build
cd build
cmake "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release /home/andi/Schreibtisch/PageEdit-1.2.0/
make
sudo make install

Thank you very much and best regards, Der_Andi
Old 06-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That's what I meant. I followed my own build instructions from the README. You did it the exact same way I did.

@KevinH : it acts for all the world like something is different with QWebEnginePage::InsertUnorderedList() and QWebEnginePage::InsertOrderedList() for that particular Qt5.12.8 on that system. Weird. Maybe it was always there on Linux in 5.12.8. Arch (which is what I would have been testing with) had moved on to 5.13 and 5.14 before 5.12.8 was ever released.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-19-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Those are built into QtWebEngine Javascript DOM model. In 5.9.5 that would be done by other calls (I think).

It could be related to Qt changes, but I am not 100% sure. I tested PageEdit built with Manjaro 20.03 with Cinnamon and Qt5.15 and making bullet or numbered lists from highlighted text worked as expected in PageEdit.

I will try a Qt 5.12.8 build of Qt when I get a free moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's what I meant. I followed my own build instructions from the README. You did it the exact same way I did.

@KevinH : it acts for all the world like something is different with QWebEnginePage::InsertUnorderedList() and QWebEnginePage::InsertOrderedList() for that particular Qt5.12.8 on that system. Weird.

Tags
kubuntu 20.04, pageedit