Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Feedback on "The server interface" and "The book reader"

Thanks for calibre!
I'm using it now for a some years and I'm still impressed!

My Feedback
I'm using a calibre-docker (LinusServer-Docker with calibre 4.1.5 on a Synology-NAS). I'm managing my db with the Webinterface (internal port 8080) and I'm accessing the calibre-web interface (internal port 8081) with multiple users.

Feedback on the 8081-simplified web-interface: The interface is just fine - it would be nice, if it would be possible to costumise the layout of the "overview" (after clicking the ePub-cover) but - with priority - it would be nice to be able to customize the "book details" (visible after clicking the edit button in the right upper corner): It would be nice to be able to decide on the size and position of each column - and if the column should appear at all.

Feedback on "reading an ePub in the browser"
My device: iPad Pro, 10,5; PadOS 13.4.1
From the 8081-simplified web-interface I can directly start reading an ePub with my browser. But this feature still has many bugs / is not working: Reading with the iOS safari browser is not working properly. The text of the ePubs is not completely visible on the device. In addition jumping pages back results in skipping of pages.

The concept of "never leaving the calibre-server" is convincing. I would definitely love to see an improved version.

With regards
Henning
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I no longer have a working iOS device to test with but the reader works fine in Chromes simulate iOS device mode and in chrome on my android phone and in safari on my mac.

As for customizing size and position of indivdual items in a dialog, its never going to happen
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 04:40 AM   #3
Henning
Enthusiast

Dear Kovid

Thanks for your quick answer!

To verify the bug in the reader I user calibre 4.15 on my Mac (to be sure its not a docker-problem). With my iPad Pro 10,5 (PadOS 13.4.1) I was able to access the calibre-server on 8080. I tested two epubs.

a) One ePub "loaded", but no text was visible - screen simply black
b) second ePub "loaded" into PadOS "safari" -
==> in the upper left corner is a button "over" the text. The text seams to be fine - also no problems at the bottom of the screen. I couldn't find proof that text gets lost - still button "over" text --> see picture "button over text"

==> if I click the button: PadOS safari shows menu again, ePub text still in the "window", but now the text at the bottom of the window is sometimes "out of visibility. --> see two pictures text not visible

Link to pictures https://www.mobileread.com/forums/al...p?albumid=1386

with regards
Henning
Old 05-08-2020, 04:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
text at the buttom of the screen being cut off is most likely because you are in fow mode not paged mode change it in the viewer settings. And I have no idea what that button is, it isnt coming from the viewer, there is no such button in th e viewer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
Henning
Enthusiast

Dear kovid

Thanks for your feedback.
I think I finally found out how to use the iOS browser software as ePub reader!

I couldn't find how to use my iOS browser and I wasn't able to find an explanation on the web. Do you mind if I suggest to introduce some advice on how to use iOS browser as reader within calibre? I believe this would populate this way of using the calibre experience.

Thats how I found it:
Starting with your feedback: "fow mode not paged mode"...

As I didn't know what I was missing, I tried some settings:
On my iPad I'm using my safari-browser to access my calibre-server. When I "click" a single book, a new window appears. I can download / or read the book. If I click read, the book is loaded into the browser application. Without doing anything: I see the book cover and a bottom in the left top corner of the screen. When I "click" the "botton" in the top left corner the browser menu appears. In the browser menu I see "AA". I can "click" and get the options
- reader-view
- hide symbol menu
- request desktop webpage
- webpage-Settings (with two options: "desktop-webpage request" and "use reader automatically"

If I use
- webpage-Settings (disable desktop-webpage and disable automatic reader) and
- hide symbol menu

I do have a nice reader!
Thanks for your help!

Yours
Henning
Advert

Tags
book reader, browser, calibre conten server