Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Sony PRS-T3 -- $20 on Mercari (plus $5 s/h)

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m835...search_results

I'm guessing this won't last long. Severely testing my resolution not to buy more eReaders. I don't know the seller and can not personally vouch for him/her.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Says sold. Was your resistance successful?
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Says sold. Was your resistance successful?
No. The seller dropped the price a WHOPPING 5% ($1) and I crumpled like a cheap suit (or something like that). Actually I resisted for a few more hours thinking "surely SOMEONE will buy it now." Wrong. It's supposed to arrive today. Looking a little closer at the pictures, it appears to have a lighted case, so that would be a bonus. Until I actually get off my duff and sell some of my eReaders, I will have (at least) one of every Sony Reader made (from the 500 to the T3). I'm cat person of eReaders.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Got my T3 from ebay over a year ago, with the lighted case. Still my favorite Sony ebook reader though the PRS-950 is close. Scarce in the USA as Sony never distributed the T3 here per what I have read.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Got my T3 from ebay over a year ago, with the lighted case. Still my favorite Sony ebook reader though the PRS-950 is close. Scarce in the USA as Sony never distributed the T3 here per what I have read.
It's a very nice reader. This one has a very small "blemish" on the screen that's only noticeable if you look for it and the light didn't work at first in the cover (I took it apart and put it back together and it seems to be working fine now). It's kind of nice to have a Sony with a good (212ppi) screen and an auto-wake cover. I don't know if this will be one of the "keepers" when I finally get around to purging my excess eReaders or not, but it's a good one. I wish Sony would have kept making eReaders. I still think their build quality was the best.
Advert
Old 01-13-2020, 12:39 AM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It's a very nice reader. This one has a very small "blemish" on the screen that's only noticeable if you look for it and the light didn't work at first in the cover (I took it apart and put it back together and it seems to be working fine now). It's kind of nice to have a Sony with a good (212ppi) screen and an auto-wake cover. I don't know if this will be one of the "keepers" when I finally get around to purging my excess eReaders or not, but it's a good one. I wish Sony would have kept making eReaders. I still think their build quality was the best.
You have to make sure that the back cover is completely clipped onto the back of the reader so the light power contacts on the cover firmly contact the contacts on the back of the reader. As I recall the cover and reader each have about 8 clip together points that need to fully engage to make good power contact for the light.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Back when the T3 was still on the market new, I bought my T3 from B&H which is US store. Not sure how they had it.

Quote:
You have to make sure that the back cover is completely clipped onto the back of the reader so the light power contacts on the cover firmly contact the contacts on the back of the reader. As I recall the cover and reader each have about 8 clip together points that need to fully engage to make good power contact for the light.
Yes, the back cover connection is finicky. And if you are a klutz like me and drop the reader, the cover will likely come off and you'll have to start over.....

I mostly read on my Kobo or Tolino now but I've pulled out the T3 a couple times when I was reading a book that had a lot of unfamiliar words. Having both the American and English Oxford dictionaries was so great. Even obscure slang words from a hundred years ago are in there.

I also liked the small form factor of the T3.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
@ rcentros: I for one, will be looking forward to viewing your list of Sony readers when you decide to purge 'em for sale!
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:01 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That could have been it and taking it apart was just an accidental fix. For some reason (I'm guessing) the former owner thought the light was too bright. They had something (white out?) over the light and I had wash it off. It felt almost like gum. But it's working now. Very nice reader.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:05 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
@ rcentros: I for one, will be looking forward to viewing your list of Sony readers when you decide to purge 'em for sale!
I'll probably post them on the Flea Market, but leave a notice here. It's just a matter of getting up the gumption to do it. I don't know why I keep procrastinating. I definitely don't need (or even want) all the eReaders I now have. Though, I'm happy to report, I got my son (#3 of 5) to take a Kobo Aura Edition 2. Small steps...
Old 01-14-2020, 05:30 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Back when the T3 was still on the market new, I bought my T3 from B&H which is US store. Not sure how they had it.
I think they sold Sony eBook readers from the beginning. They still sell the Sony Electronic Readers. (I think that's what they're called.) Here's a page from the Wayback Machine. Note the prices! (Gee, my old eReaders were worth a fortune!)

https://web.archive.org/web/20100102...6/N/4289948202

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Yes, the back cover connection is finicky. And if you are a klutz like me and drop the reader, the cover will likely come off and you'll have to start over.....

I mostly read on my Kobo or Tolino now but I've pulled out the T3 a couple times when I was reading a book that had a lot of unfamiliar words. Having both the American and English Oxford dictionaries was so great. Even obscure slang words from a hundred years ago are in there.

I also liked the small form factor of the T3.
Both the Kindle and the Sony had the same dictionary. It didn't occur to me to load both the English and American Oxford. I'll see if I can do that.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #12
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think they sold Sony eBook readers from the beginning. They still sell the Sony Electronic Readers. (I think that's what they're called.) Here's a page from the Wayback Machine. Note the prices! (Gee, my old eReaders were worth a fortune!)

They did, I was just unsure how they had the T3 since it wasn't generally available in US stores.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100102...6/N/4289948202

Both the Kindle and the Sony had the same dictionary. It didn't occur to me to load both the English and American Oxford. I'll see if I can do that.
They should both just be there on your Sony, no loading required
Old 01-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'll probably post them on the Flea Market, but leave a notice here.
Please don't direct members to your Flea Market items. We don't allow crossposting and members are permitted to sell only in the Flea Market.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:36 AM   #14
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

B&H is one of the big NY camera and electronics stores that frequently does their own grey market importing of items not normally distributed in the USA market so they undoubtedly sourced the Sony T3 from a wholesaler in Europe, Canada or the far east. This frequently means that the authorized USA importer and distributor will not honor the foreign warranty if the item develops a problem. I know that this is true of Nikon and some other importers.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
B&H is one of the big NY camera and electronics stores that frequently does their own grey market importing of items not normally distributed in the USA market so they undoubtedly sourced the Sony T3 from a wholesaler in Europe, Canada or the far east. This frequently means that the authorized USA importer and distributor will not honor the foreign warranty if the item develops a problem. I know that this is true of Nikon and some other importers.
Now that you mention it, I have a vague memory of being aware of this when I bought the reader years ago. I guess I decided it was worth the risk at the time. And in my case it was, since the reader still works.