Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Lightbulb Free (DRM-free) Sprog [Danish Academic Language & Brain Function Essay w/Audiobook]

Sprog (Language) by Mikkel Wallentin (faculty profile), an associate professor and brain researcher at Aarhus University, is his Danish-language accessibly-written academic essay on human language development and usage and the accompanying brain functions, #38 in the Tænkepauser ("Reflections", beginning to become available in English translation on their webpage here) series of 60-page shorts designed to provide a 60-minute introduction to assorted cultural/intellectual ideas for laypersons, free courtesy of the Aarhus University Press in Denmark.

This is the current offering in their generous freebie program which gives the latest one away as a freebie, which has now changed to a term of just for one week after publication.

Currently free until April 11th, Danish time @ the Aarhus University Press (DRM-free ePub & PDF available worldwide, scroll down and expand where it says "Om bogen" to download the MP3 "som gratis lydfil")

Beskrivelse på dansk
Sprog er alfa og omega. Det er ved hjælp af symboler som dem her i bogen, at vi kan finde ud af at leve sammen og forstå hinanden. Eller misforstå. Sprog er med andre ord skyld i både krig og kærlighed. Takket være sproget kan vi endda samle tankerne om en tænkepause. Sprog har gjort os til mennesker - og som mennesker unikke i dyreriget. Og sprog fortsætter med at forme os. For ifølge Mikkel Wallentin, sprognørd og hjerneforsker ved Aarhus Universitet, tyder noget på, at vi op igennem evolutionen har fremelsket vores talegaver. - Sprog er nemlig også sexet.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #2
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Sprog (Language) by Mikkel Wallentin (faculty profile), an associate professor and brain researcher at Aarhus University, is his Danish-language accessibly-written academic essay on human language development and usage and the accompanying brain functions, #38 in the Tænkepauser ("Reflections", beginning to become available in English translation on their webpage here) series of 60-page shorts designed to provide a 60-minute introduction to assorted cultural/intellectual ideas for laypersons, free courtesy of the Aarhus University Press in Denmark.

This is the current offering in their generous freebie program which gives the latest one away as a freebie, which has now changed to a term of just for one week after publication.

Currently free until April 11th, Danish time @ the Aarhus University Press (DRM-free ePub & PDF available worldwide, scroll down and expand where it says "Om bogen" to download the MP3 "som gratis lydfil")

Beskrivelse på dansk
Sprog er alfa og omega. Det er ved hjælp af symboler som dem her i bogen, at vi kan finde ud af at leve sammen og forstå hinanden. Eller misforstå. Sprog er med andre ord skyld i både krig og kærlighed. Takket være sproget kan vi endda samle tankerne om en tænkepause. Sprog har gjort os til mennesker - og som mennesker unikke i dyreriget. Og sprog fortsætter med at forme os. For ifølge Mikkel Wallentin, sprognørd og hjerneforsker ved Aarhus Universitet, tyder noget på, at vi op igennem evolutionen har fremelsket vores talegaver. - Sprog er nemlig også sexet.
So, an English version is not (yet) available? I looked all over the webpage and didn't see a link to one. I had the same issue with the one other ebook that you posted from their freebie program that I wanted.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-07-2016 at 05:04 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
They don't offer the English language versions of Tænkepauser for free. Those are slowly being translated from the most popular Danish ones, and you can see the two currently available for purchase via the link to "Reflections" I put in the header every time, in case any non-Danish readers are actually interested in giving them a try.

Otherwise, for the purpose of actually reading these if one doesn't already read Danish/Norwegian/Swedish at a comfortable level, Google Translate is… kind of your friend, if your friend is occasionally somewhat confused and mildly incoherent at times. (Actually, their Danish to English seems pretty decent, but when it gets stuff wrong, it gets it wrong in a way that even I notice is wrong, which is very wrong indeed.)
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
They don't offer the English language versions of Tænkepauser for free. Those are slowly being translated from the most popular Danish ones, and you can see the two currently available for purchase via the link to "Reflections" I put in the header every time, in case any non-Danish readers are actually interested in giving them a try.

Otherwise, for the purpose of actually reading these if one doesn't already read Danish/Norwegian/Swedish at a comfortable level, Google Translate is… kind of your friend, if your friend is occasionally somewhat confused and mildly incoherent at times. (Actually, their Danish to English seems pretty decent, but when it gets stuff wrong, it gets it wrong in a way that even I notice is wrong, which is very wrong indeed.)
Thanks. Yes, I understand now what you meant in the header about it being in the Danish language.

Maybe eventually they'll give away some of the English translation versions. I don't mind computer translation for small amounts of text, but it's a bit much for me for longer pieces.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
academic ebook, danish author ebook, danish language ebook, expired freebie