Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
In the UK this is quoted in the technical specs of the £49.99 Fire

Warranty and Service Fire is sold with a worldwide limited warranty of one year provided by the manufacturer. If you are a consumer, the limited warranty is in addition to your consumer rights, and does not jeopardise these rights in any way. This means you may still have additional rights at law even after the limited warranty has expired (for further information on your consumer rights, click here). Use of Fire tablet is subject to the terms found here.
Thanks - the following is from the US link:

Quote:
If you purchased your Device from Amazon.com, Amazon.co.jp, or from authorized retailers located in the United States or Japan, your Device is covered by a 90-day limited warranty. If you purchased your Device from any other Amazon website or from authorized retailers located in other countries, your Device is covered by a one-year limited warranty instead of the following warranty. Details are available at www.amazon.com/devicesupport.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #47
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I pre-ordered the Fire TV Gaming Edition. Think it will be a nice upgrade from the Fire TV Stick in my bedroom. And the game controller has voice search capability. I'm not a gamer, but have been considering a game console for myself. Just could not justify the expense. Of course the kids have their Playstations. Time for a bigger tv!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #48
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Shhhh. Do not tell my husband about 4k monitors.
Okay, I won't mention the 28inchers on sale at Monoprice.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-17-2015 at 05:29 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #49
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I also ordered the Fire TV Gaming Edition. It seems like a pretty good deal since it includes the $49.99 game controller and $19.99 32GB memory card, making the Fire TV itself "only" $70. I've been debating about getting a Fire Stick, so that's another $40 I've "saved"

Last edited by JoHunt; 09-17-2015 at 04:42 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #50
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:

Warranty and Service Fire is sold with a worldwide limited warranty of one year provided by the manufacturer. If you are a consumer, the limited warranty is in addition to your consumer rights, and does not jeopardise these rights in any way. This means you may still have additional rights at law even after the limited warranty has expired (for further information on your consumer rights, click here). Use of Fire tablet is subject to the terms found here.
Legally the EU would not allow them to offer less than a one year warranty, obviously they can get away with less in the states to hit the lower pricetag.

It is interesting to see that they seem to have abandoned the higher end devices so completely (they were selling a higher resolution 8" device nearly 3 years ago) but they know which ones were selling. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone who was willing to pay for higher specs would also want either proper android or ios for more complete appstores.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #51
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have two 2013 HDXs both 64GB, but I paid half price for them earlier this year. They were just two expensive at full price.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CNET hands-on with the Fire 7:
http://www.cnet.com/products/amazon-fire/

Quote:
For only $50 or £50, all of the Amazon Fire's shortcomings are understandable. Despite the sacrifice of build quality in order to meet its low price, the Fire tablet remains an attractive option for anyone on a shoestring budget. Just in case you like the Fire so much you won't want to share with your family, Amazon will sell you six of them for the price of five. That's right, you can get a six-pack of Fire tablets for $250 or £250.

The age-old adage "you get what you pay for" comes to mind, but if you're an Amazon Underground user, Kindle Unlimited subscriber or Prime member, it's one of the most affordable tablets for taking full advantage of Amazon's vast library of TV, movies, books and games.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #53
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I was just looking at Amazon. I can buy 10" Aimid, Dragon Touch or others cheaper than the Fire 10".

They are definitely trying to fleece their customers.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

That's because any form of limited warranty is illegal in the EU. The manufacturer has to provide a warranty repair for whatever period the product could "reasonably" be expected to be used for. They can say "1 year", but the "additional rights at law" mentioned in your quote mean that you can still expect a warranty repair if it fails due to a manufacturing defect after that time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #55
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
Hmm... the Fire 7 sure looks a lot like the DigiLand 7" from Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland...&skuId=8610212
Fortunately, it looks different enough that I don't think it's the same thing. Unfortunately I'm aware of the DigiLand tablets -- I think they were on sale for for $29 (or $39?) last Christmas for Black Friday, and we thought they would be good for the three little kids and they had decent specs. They work, but the screen is absolute crap. You have to look at it absolutely straight on or it's useless. If the new Kindles use that screen, they might as well get ready for a whole lot of returns -- no matter what their price. They also have very cheaply built switches. I had to repair one of them. A decent quality tablet is cheap now, I wouldn't suggest a DigiLand for anyone.

EDIT: The $49 Fires are definitely NOT rebranded DigiLand tablets. Just reading the information about the screen and looking at the pictures of them from the side makes it obvious this is not the same tablet. Now I'm interested in testing one of these.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-18-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: New information
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
I was just looking at Amazon. I can buy 10" Aimid, Dragon Touch or others cheaper than the Fire 10".

They are definitely trying to fleece their customers.
I'll reserve judgment until I know the quality of the screen and case of the new Fires. If the Aimid Dragon Touch is of the same quality as the DigiLand, it's not worth it (basically) at any price. If the quality of the new Fires have gone that low (as the DigiLand, can't speak for the Dragon Touch), they're not going to sell many of them. I've got to believe they're smart enough to know that.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #57
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'll reserve judgment until I know the quality of the screen and case of the new Fires.

From CNET above:

Quote:
Inside the Fire houses a 1.3GHz quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage -- a microSD card slot gives up to 128GB extra. It also has a front-facing 0.3-megapixel camera, a 2-megapixel rear camera, and, according to Amazon, 7-hour battery life. In a world where brilliant 2K tablets reign, the 1,024x600-pixel resolution IPS display is desperately underwhelming. Yet, for about a quarter of their cost, it's a tolerable compromise.
IPS screens tend to be decent, even at their worst.
At $50 it doesn't sound like a bad deal; the compromises seem reasonable.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #58
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Fortunately, it looks different enough that I don't think it's the same thing. Unfortunately I'm aware of the DigiLand tablets -- I think they were on sale for for $29 (or $39?) last Christmas for Black Friday, and we thought they would be good for the three little kids and they had decent specs. They work, but the screen is absolute crap. You have to look at it absolutely straight on or it's useless. If the new Kindles use that screen, they might as well get ready for a whole lot of returns -- no matter what their price. They also have very cheaply built switches. I had to repair one of them. A decent quality tablet is cheap now, I wouldn't suggest a DigiLand for anyone.
I guess you're right. That model has a TFT-LCD, not IPS. That explains the crappy screen.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #59
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
We know from Apple's numbers that sales of high end tablets are down. Looks like Amazon is getting out.

I think people are gravitating towards either the low end tablets or the tablet/laptop hybrid (lablets?) like surface pro.

Last edited by Barty; 09-17-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:58 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
We know from Apple's numbers that sales of high end tablets are down. Looks like Amazon is getting out.

I think people are gravitating towards either the low end tablets or the tablet/laptop hybrid (lablets?) like surface pro.
I wouldn't write off the "mid size" premium tablet market just yet. Plenty of people want a screen in the 9-10" size range.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote