Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre is not going to add css by default. But you can tell it to do so if you want via the Extra CSS setting in the conversion diaog or in Preferences->Common Options->Look & feel
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #17
elipsett
elipsett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, MacOS, Win7
Reasonable answer, thank you.
Would you consider adding a prebaked script somewhere so people who want to do this can do it easily, without having to search for this thread?
elipsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #18
markvdvelde
Connoisseur
markvdvelde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Vertical Japanese text with "Fetch news"

Hi,

I like reading short simple news stories on my Kindle, for example from NHK News Easy (feed: rsshub.app/nhk/news_web_easy).

I can download the latest articles with Calibre of course, but for the Kindle dictionary to work properly, I need to have vertical text. Do you know, perhaps based on the discussion above about converting from epub to mobi, how I can convert the mobi book (news) so that the horizontal text gets vertical?

Thank you!
markvdvelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #19
elipsett

See my post of Sept. 12, above.
There are some characters that will probably not display properly, however, such as dashes... I haven't checked, but based on past experience, I'd expect dashes and similar punctuation to rotate incorrectly, or not at all.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:04 AM   #20
markvdvelde
Connoisseur

BBC日本語

Quote:
Originally Posted by elipsett View Post
See my post of Sept. 12, above.
I tried what you suggested on September 12, but for amateurs like me it's still quit a puzzle. Since these Japanese BBC stories have English equivalents, I'd like to use them as study material, but due to the horizontal text the dictionary lookup doesn't work as it should. I changed the ebook language to JP in Calibre (under Metadata), but that makes no difference.

If someone understands the steps and has time to elaborate them for simpletons like me, that would be great! E.g.:

CONTENT.OPF
In metadata:
<meta name="primary-writing-mode" content="vertical-rl" />

Does this mean I should add this line or delete the existing one? The others steps are even more mysterious to me...
Attached Files
File Type: mobi BBC日本語.mobi (628.7 KB, 212 views)
File Type: epub BBC日本語.epub (544.2 KB, 240 views)
Old 07-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #21
adamaymas
adamaymas doesn't litteradamaymas doesn't litter

Device: SONY PRS-350
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I had the same issues with converting to vertical text for kindle. I have a little bash script that works in two stages to produce a AZW3 file that works on my kindle paper white. It's for converting the XHTML files you can get from aozora.gr.jp, but it could easily be adapted for other sources by adjusting the two lines that call ebook-convert. Here it is:

Code:
name=${1%%.html}
ebook-convert "$name".html "$name"

echo -en "\n\
body {\n\
\t writing-mode: vertical-rl;\n\
\t line-break: normal;\n\
\t -epub-writing-mode: vertical-rl;\n\
\t -webkit-writing-mode: vertical-rl;\n\
\t -epub-line-break: normal;\n\
\t -webkit-line-break: normal;\n\
\t line-height: 150%;\n\
\t padding: 1em 1em;\n\
\t font-family: serif, sans-serif\n\
}\n"\
>>"$name"/page_styles.css

sed -i -e 's:</metadata>:<meta\ name="primary-writing-mode"\ content="vertical-rl"/>\n</metadata>:' "$name"/content.opf

sed -i -e 's:<spine.*:<spine\ toc="ncx"\ page-progression-direction="rtl">:' "$name"/content.opf

sed -i -e 's/<dc:language>.*/<dc:language>jpn<\/dc:language>/' "$name"/content.opf

zip "$name".zip add -j "$name"/*

ebook-convert "$name".zip "$name".azw3

rm -Rf "$name"
rm -f "$name".zip
adamaymas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:32 PM   #22
elipsett

Excellent addition to my collection of useful scripts!
Many thanks.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:00 AM   #23
markvdvelde
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamaymas View Post
I have a little bash script that works in two stages to produce a AZW3 file that works on my kindle paper white
For those, like me, who aren't familiar with bash scripts, could you give a few instructions as to how I should use this script? Does this run within Calibre of elsewhere? My apologies for these basic questions.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:07 PM   #24
adamaymas
adamaymas doesn't litteradamaymas doesn't litter

Device: SONY PRS-350
Save the file to somewhere on your computer and name it html2azw3.sh (or whatever). You then have to open a terminal window and run the script from there. Like this:

User$ html2azw3.sh name_of_file

The script will use Calibre to generate an azw3 file that should display vertically on the kindle. You probably want to read up a bit on how to use bash scripts, though. It's not difficult once you get the hang of it. There are lots of tutorials online. Here's an example:
https://ryanstutorials.net/bash-scri...ash-script.php

I noticed something in the old scripts that I fixed (the old one should work fine but probably throws up some annoying messages). Here is the cleaned-up version:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
name=${1%%.html}
ebook-convert "$name".html "$name"

echo -en "\n\
body {\n\
\t writing-mode: vertical-rl;\n\
\t line-break: normal;\n\
\t -epub-writing-mode: vertical-rl;\n\
\t -webkit-writing-mode: vertical-rl;\n\
\t -epub-line-break: normal;\n\
\t -webkit-line-break: normal;\n\
\t line-height: 150%;\n\
\t padding: 1em 1em;\n\
\t font-family: serif, sans-serif\n\
}\n"\
>>"$name"/page_styles.css

sed -i -e 's:</metadata>:<meta\ name="primary-writing-mode"\ content="vertical-rl"/>\n</metadata>:' "$name"/content.opf

sed -i -e 's:<spine.*:<spine\ toc="ncx"\ page-progression-direction="rtl">:' "$name"/content.opf

sed -i -e 's/<dc:language>.*/<dc:language>jpn<\/dc:language>/' "$name"/content.opf

zip "$name".zip -j "$name"/*

ebook-convert "$name".zip "$name".azw3

rm -Rf "$name"
rm -f "$name".zip
adamaymas is offline   Reply With Quote