Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
greeny
greeny began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Kindle 3 and Collections

Hi Guys, I have had a Cybook Gen 3 for about 2 years now and thought it was about time for a change. So I ordered my K3 last week and am awaiting the delivery (the case has arrived but not the K3 - that's just so cruel )

I do have a question about collections for you lucky people who have their K3s. I like to order my books by Author so I'm guessing I could set up a collection for authors. But some of the authors I read have various series of book which I would also like in collections within the author collection (hope this makes sense!). What I am basically asking is: - Is it possible to have collections within collections in the K3?

Thanks for any help guys
greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Congrats on your new Kindle purchase, I'm sure you'll love it once it arrives.

Unfortunately there is not a collection within collections option - it is just collections. However once you are in a collection it is easy to sort by author, title or most recent first.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
greeny
greeny began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Hi TheKindleWorm

Thanks for your kind words. I guess I may have to think a little differently :-). It would be nice if the ereader manufacturers would implement a "series" option to allow for different series by an author (especially now as Calibre retrieves this information automatically) - hopefully something for the future.
greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
On my last ereader I had my books sorted by alphabet. On the Kindle I sorted them by genre: crime/novel/info/reading/french/german and so on.
When I start with a book now I sort it directly in ''reading" and start reading. I can easily find my last book back.
I find the sorting by genre makes my books more accessible then when I sorted them by alphabet. Also the same book can be placed in different categories g.e. a historical whodunnit.
But does anyone know if I can change the name of a collection, once it is made? I have the idea, perhaps too simple but it might work for me, to sort my collections by alphabet: the ones I read most from get an A, g.e A.novel, B.historical, C.info.
I wonder how that will work.
But certainly; I would welcome a feature to quickly brows my books.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
But does anyone know if I can change the name of a collection, once it is made?
Highlight a collection name and press "right" on the 5-way nav control. Look at the options on display. One of them is "Rename Collection", is it not?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thnx again, Harry.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I think an option is to have a collection for the Author and then another seperate collection called Author-Series xyz etc

I have 46 collections so far listed and thats what i have done.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:55 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment

!***&*&***!; pardon my language. I thought I had a beautiful thought.
Sorting my collections by renaming and putting A,B,C in front of them etc doesn't give a fixed, preferred order. The collection on top is the last one openend; whatever one does.
And having spent a few days in sorting my books, I should get back, a.s.a.p. to my normal work/world and I would welcome an update from Kindle in getting a quick fix to get order in my collections without marking every book (again).

edit: josieb1, it's a thought, but I have a serious amount of books. Perhaps I can use your system, if I have the patience (hm), to sort my books over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by desertblues; 09-10-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
josieb1, it's a thought, but I have a serious amount of books. Perhaps I can use your system, if I have the patience (hm), to sort my books over the next couple of weeks.
I have over 700 books on mine and I loaded it collection by collection. It all works beautifully unless I want to remove a book from a collection, and then I find myself trawling through 70 odd pages looking for the book i want to move!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
!***&*&***!; pardon my language. I thought I had a beautiful thought.
Sorting my collections by renaming and putting A,B,C in front of them etc doesn't give a fixed, preferred order. The collection on top is the last one openend; whatever one does.
If you put a character such as "_" at the start of your collection names, and then sort by title, you'll get all your collections listed first, in alphabetical order. It's a kludge, but it works.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have over 700 books on mine and I loaded it collection by collection. It all works beautifully unless I want to remove a book from a collection, and then I find myself trawling through 70 odd pages looking for the book i want to move!

You just need to type a keyword in the title and click on Search my Items to reveal any books that first contain the keyword in the title and then books that contain the keyword inside. You can also type an author name (whole or partial) and you will also get a list of books.

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 09-10-2010 at 06:13 AM.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I discovered this thread today and gave it a go.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94261

It is a Kindle Collection Manager.

I found it rather tedious creating all my collections using the kindle.

This app lets you do it on the PC with the Kindle plugged in. You then drag the books from the left of the screen into the collection on the right.

When you are done, you click the button to "make" the changes. Disconnect and restart the kindle. After restart it takes about 10 seconds and all your new collections are there.

This would help you to Josieb1 as you can see all the books on the PC screen, not jsut 10 at a time.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You just need to type a keyword in the title and click on Search my Items to reveal any books that first contain the keyword in the title and then books that contain the keyword inside. You can also type an author name (whole or partial) and you will also get a list of books
Thanks I'll give this a go
Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I discovered this thread today and gave it a go.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94261

It is a Kindle Collection Manager.

I found it rather tedious creating all my collections using the kindle.

This app lets you do it on the PC with the Kindle plugged in. You then drag the books from the left of the screen into the collection on the right.

When you are done, you click the button to "make" the changes. Disconnect and restart the kindle. After restart it takes about 10 seconds and all your new collections are there.

This would help you to Josieb1 as you can see all the books on the PC screen, not jsut 10 at a time.

Brewjono.
Thanks I will certainly take a look at this.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you put a character such as "_" at the start of your collection names, and then sort by title, you'll get all your collections listed first, in alphabetical order. It's a kludge, but it works.
And it works beautifully. When sorted by title I get my collections in the right alphabetical order, as :
- A. Reading, - B. Crime, - C. Novel etc.

Brewjono: I'll give the method via the PC a go, as soon as I can; it looks very promising.