Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Loss Stop
Enthusiast
Loss Stop is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo 1, prs 350
Question Is there library support?

I've read about other readers with the support to take out books at the library. Does the kobo have this? How do you do it? Tell me everything.
Loss Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Yes the Kobo is great for the library. The biggest issue is availability of books.

I *just* posted this in another forum for someone looking to buy a Kobo:

1) Kobo books -
* search & buy books from website (watch for cheap and free books; "Top 50 books" is a good place, plus the MR forum)
* use desktop app to "Update library" to copy to your computer
* connect your Kobo and "Sync" to copy to your Kobo

2) Library books - use Adobe Digital Editions to download to your computer. Drag and drop to the Kobo device in ADE. If they are ePub, they show up in Books. If they are PDF they show up in Documents. My very first book was a library PDF and I was frustrated trying to find it!!!

3) PDFs - you can just use Windows Explorer to drag PDFs to your Kobo. They show up in Documents instead of Books.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
With my library, when you're done with the checkout process, there's a "download" button for each title. Clicking it brings up ADE automatically (if it's an ePub -- I really don't want to mess with PDFs from the library).

Then you can drag and drop to your Kobo, in ADE. Make sure everything's all set up and registered in ADE before you embark on this process for the first time or you may get inexplicable errors. (These are not unique to Kobo; Adobe's support forums have lots of posts on these.)

Also, there have been a couple of times where I've had to start Internet Explorer, and just leave it there doing nothing, for the download process to work properly. (I don't normally use it, and at this stage in the process I will have done all of the library checkout formalities with Firefox.)

I plug in my Kobo first and make sure it's showing up on ADE before I get started. This may also be unnecessary, but when I first started this I had a batch of library books that I never could download because of these mysterious (ADE, non-Kobo-specific) communications errors.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The download button for my library gives me a save option and I maintain a folder for my elibrary books, then add the book to ADE from that folder.

All very simple and easy to use.

I just wish the borrowing period was longer than 7 days!
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTracey View Post
The download button for my library gives me a save option and I maintain a folder for my elibrary books, then add the book to ADE from that folder.

All very simple and easy to use.

Wow, is your library using Overdrive? Mine does and I have the option to select 7, 14 or 21 days borrowing period...
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Wow, is your library using Overdrive? Mine does and I have the option to select 7, 14 or 21 days borrowing period...
Ditto.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
Ummm - I really wish the lending period was about 10 minutes!
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTracey View Post
It's 3 weeks where I live.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Toronto Public Library allows for the variation of lending periods; and ePubs can be returned early. Borrowing with the Kobo is dead simple. Because of the screen real estate, however, my personal preference is ePubs; I don't bother with pdfs.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
Another Toronto Public Library (TPL) user here. Selection of eBooks is somewhat limited (lots of romance and mystery in fiction), but they do seem to get new titles added fairly regularly. I've been borrowing a lot of non-fiction eBooks. So far, with the books I've put on hold, I've been able to get them faster than if I had the hard copy version on hold at the same time. TPL allows you to have up to 10 eBooks on loan at any time.

Most of the newest books seem to be available as ePUB, which I also prefer to the PDF format.

Even with the limited selection, access to library eBooks is one of the biggest benefits I've found for having a Kobo eReader. No more late fines!
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Thank you so much for this thread! Last evening I borrowed my first library book on my Kobo.

I was completely stuck trying to get the book from the "shelf" of my library account and into my Kobo ... but reading and re-reading this thread helped me figure things out.

Special thanks to Corona who pointed out that one should make sure that everything is open and "ready" before attempting to borrow for the first time was key to may actually getting the book onto my Kobo!

Being able to borrow books from the library will make my Kobo even more fun!

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote