Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you finish every book you start reading?
Yes, I finish every book I start reading 30 28.30%
No, I do not always finish every book I read. (please explain) 76 71.70%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
It's like deja vue! If I don't like a book after a chapter or two, I stop reading. There are too many worthy books out there to waste time on a loser!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #17
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
If a book doesn't hold my interest I won't finish it. Life is too short to spend your leisure time doing something you don't enjoy (like reading a book you don't like).
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:00 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Why would anyone force themself to continue with a book if it turns out to be boring, disagreeable, offensive, trivial, unbelievable, irrelevant - or you just can't be bothered with it?
Why would you start a book if it's offensive, irrelevant, disagreeable? I always read what the books is about before buying/downloading it.

I always finish all books. It might take some time, but I will finish it. That's the biggest advantage of ereaders, the device will remember where I was when I want to continue reading it...

If a book is boring at the start, doesn't mean it's boring at the end. I've read plenty of books I just couldn't really get started, but once I reached that halfway point couldn't put away.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #19
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I voted "Yes", but I admit there are a couple of exceptions.

A few years ago, when I was in my 'read anything by Michael Crichton' phase, I bought a book of his called Five Patients. Turns out it was a non-fiction book where Crichton recalled the events of one day in the hospital back when he was still a practicing physician. I fell asleep about 30 pages in, and never bothered picking it up again. Sometimes I think I should have at least tried; who knows, it might have ended up interesting.

The only other instance of my not finishing a novel was the one and only time I tried Tom Clancy. The book was called Red Rabbit, and I think I got about 150 or so pages through, and just couldn't read any more. Mind-numbingly boring. I never bothered with another Clancy again.

Apart from these two incidences, however, I always finish whatever book I'm reading. I know what kind of books will interest me, and am generally quite picky about which books I buy, so the odds of starting a book that I abandon midway are pretty low.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #20
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Indeed, some books are boring beyond all reason, offensive (usually not offencive and boring, its either/or), predictable (a whodunnit that I have figured out when the author throws out the first stiff) so laden with clichés (without trying to be humorous) There are some of my reasons (assuming I have to have a reason) to quit a book.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #21
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I tend to stop reading a book if my head gets lost and I have no idea of what I am reading anymore. "boring beyond all reason" as poppa1956 says is definitely what happens every so often.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #22
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

Life is too short to be involved with books that don't interest you.

I feel the same about some recipes. "Life is too short to stuff a mushroom." (Erma Bombeck)

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #23
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
I voted yes, but... out of maybe 10,000 books read, there are two exceptions... both were by Brian Aldiss, and in both cases, I reached a point where I would rather gnaw my leg off than continue.

Someone is bound to ask, so (from memory, titles may be wrong):
Report on Probability A
Heliconia Spring

Last edited by Mrraow; 08-05-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #24
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I voted "Yes", but I admit there are a couple of exceptions.

A few years ago, when I was in my 'read anything by Michael Crichton' phase, I bought a book of his called Five Patients. Turns out it was a non-fiction book where Crichton recalled the events of one day in the hospital back when he was still a practicing physician. I fell asleep about 30 pages in, and never bothered picking it up again. Sometimes I think I should have at least tried; who knows, it might have ended up interesting.

The only other instance of my not finishing a novel was the one and only time I tried Tom Clancy. The book was called Red Rabbit, and I think I got about 150 or so pages through, and just couldn't read any more. Mind-numbingly boring. I never bothered with another Clancy again.

Apart from these two incidences, however, I always finish whatever book I'm reading. I know what kind of books will interest me, and am generally quite picky about which books I buy, so the odds of starting a book that I abandon midway are pretty low.
I liked Five Patients. It was the one on his travels that stunk. I'll grant you Red Rabbit was a slow starter but it eventually picked up. Red Rabbit is part of a series so if you hadn't already read the previous books in the series, much of it might have not made much sense. Clancy's books can stand alone but they are much better if read sequentially.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #25
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Yeah, I do, but sometimes I wish I didn't have the habit.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #26
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=Sweetpea;1042794]Why would you start a book if it's offensive, irrelevant, disagreeable? I always read what the books is about before buying/downloading it.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on that one. They don't tell you what is in every part of the book when you read the description. I have read a lot of books that had horrid rape and child abuse scenes in it that were not part of the description that I read before purchasing the book.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #27
kittydelicious
Lurksalot
kittydelicious began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Life is too short to finish a book I'm not "into". If I don't like the book but want to know the ending, I'll flip to the end and be done with it.
kittydelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #28
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I finish most. Some I really can't get into, so I stop (Lord of the Rings). Others, I make myself finish and at the end, wonder why the story never got better (The Scarlett Letter). A few have entire chapters that could be removed, but are otherwise very good (Moby Dick).
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #29
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
[QUOTE=Pookeysgirl;1043435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Why would you start a book if it's offensive, irrelevant, disagreeable? I always read what the books is about before buying/downloading it.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on that one. They don't tell you what is in every part of the book when you read the description. I have read a lot of books that had horrid rape and child abuse scenes in it that were not part of the description that I read before purchasing the book.
A book may be offensive to some because it supports a good cause. Case in point: Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe carries strongly anti-slavery/pro-abolitionist views. It was even banned at some point.
In the present day some on the political extremes would silence opposing viewpoints.
I would suggest attaining prudent familiarity with that some offensive materials. Simply put Know thy enemy. WE are almost constantly barraged with data and opinions, they cannot all be right (it is possible they can all be wrong), and no one person can know all there is to know. So you need to be selective.
While I wouldn't suggest Mein Kampf for most people, or what ever books and article were written in favor of slavery in America, I would recommend that everyone have some kind of grasp on the extent evil can reach by reading something about those two awful eras.
I am not Muslim, but I decided to have nothing to do with Satanic Verses from the time it first came out because of the level of offence it (seemingly with purpose and spite) carries with it. For the most part, books that are (or appear to have been) written the the intent to offend, make their way off my reading list post haste.

BTW, did you know that the late Senator Alan Cranston was sued by Hitler for Copyright Infringement, and The Fuhrer won? Cranston (and I believe one other) noticed the English translation had been "clean up" (the antisemitism being removed, among other things) and he decided that Americans had a right to know everything Hitler had to say.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=Poppa1956;1044756]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post

A book may be offensive to some because it supports a good cause. Case in point: Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe carries strongly anti-slavery/pro-abolitionist views. It was even banned at some point.
In the present day some on the political extremes would silence opposing viewpoints.
I would suggest attaining prudent familiarity with that some offensive materials. Simply put Know thy enemy. WE are almost constantly barraged with data and opinions, they cannot all be right (it is possible they can all be wrong), and no one person can know all there is to know. So you need to be selective.
While I wouldn't suggest Mein Kampf for most people, or what ever books and article were written in favor of slavery in America, I would recommend that everyone have some kind of grasp on the extent evil can reach by reading something about those two awful eras.
I am not Muslim, but I decided to have nothing to do with Satanic Verses from the time it first came out because of the level of offence it (seemingly with purpose and spite) carries with it. For the most part, books that are (or appear to have been) written the the intent to offend, make their way off my reading list post haste.

BTW, did you know that the late Senator Alan Cranston was sued by Hitler for Copyright Infringement, and The Fuhrer won? Cranston (and I believe one other) noticed the English translation had been "clean up" (the antisemitism being removed, among other things) and he decided that Americans had a right to know everything Hitler had to say.
The books I had to put down were a Stephen King (Lisey's Story) and a Greg Iles (The Devils Punchbowl), just plain old fiction books. I ended up finishing the latter after skipping some pages.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote