Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 11 13.25%
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 22 26.51%
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett 10 12.05%
Don't Sleep There Are Snakes by Daniel Everett 6 7.23%
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman 5 6.02%
Life of Pi by Yann Martel 3 3.61%
Aspects of the Novel by E. M. Forster 6 7.23%
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak 11 13.25%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell 7 8.43%
Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #91
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'll look forward to reading Chandler. It's been 15 years since I last read any of him.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:58 AM   #92
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to buy "The Long Good-bye"? The cheapest I've been able to find it for is $7.92 in the Kindle Store.

Note, by the way, that if you're searching for it, it's "The Long Good-bye", not "Goodbye" as stated in the poll. A search for "goodbye" won't find it!
I posted this link earlier:

http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/long-goodb...ymond+Chandler
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #93
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
Most of the interesting stuff (the linguistics) in "Don't Sleep ..." has been published in academic journals. You'll also find some useful posts on the Language Log. If you want to read an interesting, non-technical, account of anthropological field-work, have a look at Nigel Barley's 'The Innocent Anthropologist; Notes from a Mud Hut.' It is very funny.

I doubt I'll join in on the discussion for this month. I read Chandler almost fifty years ago, and enjoyed him greatly, but I don't think I want to go back to him now.
Useful post Tim, Wife is interested in linguistic. I'll pass along the information. The anthropology clue is noted gratefully. Maybe we'll cross bicycles and baguettes again on the other thread.

Beppe
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #94
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Beppe, you are in Italy and need tp concentrate on the road. Those people are maniacs on the road!
Bambi, what a nice thought you had to encourage my attentive driving style. The pain for me is to refrain from drinking, even a tiny sip if I have to drive. It is also that we have a record car density + some of the new inhabitants with a limited budget that do not service their cars as they should + those kids that have developed an omnipotence complex + these old crones that should use a taxi. We are the oldest of the planet, did you know that. It's the olive oil.

It is quite a situation. The enforcing of the rules is ridiculous. They even let you pass a school bus loading. If you stop they start to klaxon you and pass you with menacing gestures ... Whow, I am ranting. That's it. I appreciate your support.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #95
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to buy "The Long Good-bye"? The cheapest I've been able to find it for is $7.92 in the Kindle Store.
Since Raymond Chandler died in 1959, his works are out of copyright in Canada.

So I think it would be OK to upload a version to the Mobileread library for use by members in Canada. If anyone has a version to upload, that is. I suppose someone in Canada could legitimately obtain a copy from a torrent, and upload that?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #96
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

So I think it would be OK to upload a version to the Mobileread library for use by members in Canada. If anyone has a version to upload, that is. I suppose someone in Canada could legitimately obtain a copy from a torrent, and upload that?
I found this Chandler, Raymond: The Long Goodbye V1, 05 Apr 2010

Last edited by beppe; 07-27-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

There is a version in the MR library. I was referring to buying it for those of us for whom it's still in copyright.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #98
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I found this Chandler, Raymond: The Long Goodbye V1, 05 Apr 2010
Goodness me - I didn't think of checking the Mobileread library, as I thought HarryT would have mentioned it.

The Amazon price seems to be the best I can find too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #99
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Very useful post, Jerry. Tell me, please. Are the two part distinct enough so that a poor soul can just read the parts of the Pirahã themselves by themselves?
For the most part, the linguistics and the anthropological sections are pretty well separated within chapters. The first half is pretty much 100% Piraha and the chapters after seem to switch back and forth.

I thought the book was worth my time *but* I did skip large swaths of technical stuff.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #100
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
For the most part, the linguistics and the anthropological sections are pretty well separated within chapters. The first half is pretty much 100% Piraha and the chapters after seem to switch back and forth.

I thought the book was worth my time *but* I did skip large swaths of technical stuff.
Great, thank you very much.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #101
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I posted three MR links (epub, lrf and mobi) to The Long Goodbye in the nominations thread. I suppose that in the future I should post the links in the voting thread as well.

Not that I want to tell anyone how to live his life, but it occurs to me that it would be helpful if the nominator of each nominee posted the MR link or the inkmesh link to his book in each month's voting thread. I imagine that would be very helpful to those who are considering more than one selection.

Edit to add: The links would prove that the nominee is available as an eBook globally, and would be of help to compare prices.

Last edited by GA Russell; 07-27-2010 at 12:45 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #102
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I am 3/4s through The Long Good-bye and have to say itś a pretty good read. Mucch, muuch, much better than The Big Sleep.
Nuff said, will expand when discussion begins...hope to be well into Eye of the Needle by then.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #103
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I posted three MR links (epub, lrf and mobi) to The Long Goodbye in the nominations thread. I suppose that in the future I should post the links in the voting thread as well.

Not that I want to tell anyone how to live his life, but it occurs to me that it would be helpful if the nominator of each nominee posted the MR link or the inkmesh link to his book in each month's voting thread. I imagine that would be very helpful to those who are considering more than one selection.

Edit to add: The links would prove that the nominee is available as an eBook globally, and would be of help to compare prices.
There have been various volunteers in the past that put together links to the nominated books....it's a bit of work though....
Old 07-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #104
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Those links are of course great for folks in Canada where it's out of copyright, but for a lot of us that's not the case. Here's an Ink Mesh link that might be helpful too...
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/long-goodb...e+Long+Goodbye

Quote:

It's certainly not a bad thing when folks do this. I'll try to remember to do it when/if I nominate stuff.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #105
kennyc

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=92
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Those links are of course great for folks in Canada where it's out of copyright, but for a lot of us that's not the case. Here's an Ink Mesh link that might be helpful too...
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/long-goodb...e+Long+Goodbye

It's certainly not a bad thing when folks do this. I'll try to remember to do it when/if I nominate stuff.

Last edited by kennyc; 07-27-2010 at 02:02 PM.