Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
GSteer
Flying Monkies!
GSteer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo [White]
Advice on PRS-505 purchase with missing vertical line on screen

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the erader scene, I've done enough reading to understand the differences between the models, have seen the K2 + PRS-300 + 600 in the flesh so have decided that a 6" screen device is the size that suits.

I've got an option on a PRS-505 but it has a screen defect, a single line of pixels is inactive down the centre of the screen, now I probably won't be too bothered by that as such but I'm wondering what the likelihood of futher screen failure is considering one line is out already.

It's going for around $150 obo Canadian, does this sound like a good deal or a bad idea ? I'll have the opportunity to see/handle/test it before purchasing.

Cheers for any input

Greg
GSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Don't bother, you should be able to get a used 505 with fully functional screen for not too much more. I think after awhile you'd be annoyed by the line on the screen, since you'll be staring at it for hours on end.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
I would say no as well. It might break like what happened to people in this thread.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
GSteer
Flying Monkies!

Ok, cheers for the info, I'll pass up on this one.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteer View Post
... PRS-505 but it has a screen defect, a single line of pixels is inactive...
I had the exact same question, so thanks for asking. Was it red, I think we spotted the same ad.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
GSteer
Flying Monkies!

Yip, Vancouver Craiglist ?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
At sonystyle.ca you can get a new PRS-300 for $199.99.

Only a 5" diagonal screen and no SD card in comparison to PRS-505.

If you use coupon code CJFMPLC15 you'll get a further reduction of $15 to get a total before tax price of $184.99.

Best deal I can find for PRS-300 but there have been sales at Best Buy and London Drugs lately for the Sony Readers.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Have You Heard of the Kobo e-reader?

Another optioin for you if you're looking for a 6" is the new upcoming Kobo e-reader. It's coming out in May and you can buy it at Chapters, Indigo and Coles locations in Canada. It's coming to Borders in the summer.

It's got some neat features but IMO a few drawbacks. No AC charger which some may not need or want, and it's got a rubber/plastic 4 way directional pad. I personally worry about it ripping when using it so often to scroll or page turn. The unit looks pretty and is priced at an introductory $149 Canadian. It's something to check out. It even comes with 100 books too.

http://www.koboereader.com/
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
GSteer
Flying Monkies!

Thanks for the info Wetdogeared. We looked at both the PRS-300 and the PRS-600 in the Sony Style shop but decided that for us a 6" screen is the preferred size, we just can't currently warrant spending $300 on the 600.

I'll take a look at that Kobo Shopoholic - might do what we want. Cheers.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
GSteer
Flying Monkies!

Just looked in to the Kobo reader - looks like it covers all the bases I could want, I'm only after a basic reader, but it does't list TXT or doc files as available formats, meaning that I'd need to convert any I already have to ePub or PDF. Not a major hassle really I guess though to be able to have a new 6" reader for $150.