Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Robb
Robb is on a distinguished road

Device: prs600
prs600 problem

I'm sorry if this problem has been dealt with here previously. I'm frustrated with Sony's support for the 3.1 reader library software.
I got a Sony reader for my wife for Christmas, but the software can't be used. It appears to download and load properly, but when I click on the icon, nothing happens.
I have windows xp running. The Sony support people told me to run my computer in safe mode to load the software and that would fix it. I don't feel confident enough in my computer knowledge to try this, since I don't know the first thing about "safe mode". Does this sound like a valid fix? How do I do this? Any help would be appreciated.
I thought the reader would be a simple plug in and use device, but I'm now up to 5 hours playing with this problem and no closer to resolving it.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There were probs all weekend, but they seem to be resolving. Read this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=67005&page=2
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Robb

Nope, that's not it.
I can't see anything when I click on the reader icon. Nothing happens. I've removed and re-installed the software multiple times....still nothing.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I haven't heard of installing it in safemode but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. If tech support guides you through it, it shouldn't be too difficult to try and shouldn't hurt anything.

Here are some other things you might want to try:

Try reading this thread?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+sony+software

I believe some people got it working after disconnecting their computer from the internet/network. Post #44 talks about enabling/disabling DEP.

Here is another thread on how to uninstall the software. In versions prior to 3.1, there were a few hidden files/folders that need to be manually deleted even after preforming the regular uninstall of the software. Not sure if this still applies to version 3.1 of the software but might want to take a look at it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55041

I believe quite a few people don't even use the Sony software and use another ebook managing software like calibre. I believe you only need the Sony software if you plan to purchase books through their website.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Last edited by MerLock; 12-28-2009 at 11:35 AM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Robb

Sounds like my problem.
Some good suggestions to try. Thank you MerLock.
I'll re-post if these don't work.
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
vlm
vlm is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS600
I've been having the same problem - received this e-mail from Sony today:

1. Delete the Reader Library application.
2. Download the old version of the software (eBook library 3.0).
3. Install the old version.
4. Download one book from the Adobe digital edition free library (This book most be a
book with DRM protection).
5. Transfer that book to the Reader digital book using the old version.
6. You will get the following message: In order to transfer this ebook you must authorize
this book with adobe DRM.
7. Click Yes to complete the transfer process.
8. You can now download and install the Reader Library 3.1 software.

If this information does not resolve your issue, please contact us at (866) 962-7669.

I haven't tried this yet, though.
vlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
-walsh-
Enthusiast
-walsh- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have had problems, so I just installed calibre and forgot about the sony software.
-walsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Robb

vlm...I tried to install version 3.0, but same problem occurs. I click on the icon, and nothing happens (although I hear noises as if a program is loading). I tried resetting the DEP and still nothing.
Walsh...with calibre installed, can you still download/buy books from Sony? I bought my wife some gift cards to go with the reader, but if I can't access the software, they're useless.
Just an FYI...I was able to download version 2.5.01 from the Borders site, and it loaded fine, but I couldn't use it because it demanded an updated version (3.1) be installed. I'm getting closer to bringing my reader back and changing to a Kindle....with my luck, it won't work either!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
vlm...I tried to install version 3.0, but same problem occurs. I click on the icon, and nothing happens (although I hear noises as if a program is loading). I tried resetting the DEP and still nothing.
Walsh...with calibre installed, can you still download/buy books from Sony? I bought my wife some gift cards to go with the reader, but if I can't access the software, they're useless.
Just an FYI...I was able to download version 2.5.01 from the Borders site, and it loaded fine, but I couldn't use it because it demanded an updated version (3.1) be installed. I'm getting closer to bringing my reader back and changing to a Kindle....with my luck, it won't work either!!!
Yeah, you won't be able to buy anything from the Sony store with Calibre or an older version of the library. I'm really surprised that the DEP exclusion didn't work. What kind of antivirus are you running?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do you have another computer/laptop to try it on?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
Robb

I've read through some of the earlier threads about this problem, and it's obviously above me to be able to fix. I thought I was doing pretty good with DEP changes, but trying to use msconfig and searching for hidden files is getting too advanced. Like others have posted, I just want to read books. I have a second computer and will try to get the software loaded on it, but if that doesn't work, it'll be time for a refund. Obviously this is too new a technology. I'll try again in a year or two when I upgrade my computer and the glitches are worked out. It seems to work for most people's sytems, but not mine. For those (like me) who were excited to get a Reader, it's very frustrating. I'm a little hesitent to try a Kindle...I'm sure they have problems too. I do like the idea or a wireless download however. Anything to avoid 8 hours of my life being lost to software problems that even tech savy people don't seem to have a handle on.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
Robb

Running Panda
Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Running Panda
Can you disable it momentarily and see if it allows the library to run?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I've had bad experiences with Panda
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
Robb

Hey!!!!!
Go figure. I loaded the software onto my second computer and it works!!! It's a compaq presario with the same os (windows xp) with the Norton antivirus diabled.
What gives?
I'm excited again....