Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can't install Calibre, lacking SysAdmin priviliges, older version instead?

The company upgraded my laptop but took away my SysAdmin Priviliges, so I can't install the latest version of Calibre. Is there a way around that? Maybe an older version will get past the install trap?
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
matthias
Enthusiast
matthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Hello,

I don't think there is a way to install an older version without Admin-Priviliges. But i've seen somewhere a portable Version of Calibre, which should work anyway. it's not up to date, but it should work anyway. (and i think there are ways to apply it to the actual Version, but for the begining it should work with that old one, too.

Portable Version
matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
Hello,

I don't think there is a way to install an older version without Admin-Priviliges. But i've seen somewhere a portable Version of Calibre, which should work anyway. it's not up to date, but it should work anyway. (and i think there are ways to apply it to the actual Version, but for the begining it should work with that old one, too.

Portable Version
The portable sounds like a great solution, except for this:
Quote:
calibre 0.6.21 requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2008. The redist is included in this package (which is NOT an online installer). The launcher will check to see if it's on the local system. If not, you'll be asked to install it and, on exit, it'll be uninstalled. Just follow the prompts. Requires admin rights.
I checked, and cannot get MSVC installed. This is frustrating. I may have to breakdown and buy my own laptop.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur

I found the install file for an older version in one of my backups. It installed and is running!