Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wow, Sony's eBooks software can't get any worse...

So I'm trying to download as many "classics" as I can while they are still free for me. I'm using the Sony software and am amazed at how bad it really is. One thing I've noticed is that when you have scrolled down a bit and you click the "buy now" button, the confirmation window appears at the top, so you have to scroll up to click "confirm." Unless the confirmation window is partially visible (because you haven't scrolled down very far), there's no way of knowing that you have to scroll back up. So if you're at or near the bottom and want to buy the book, you click "buy now" and nothing happens. You're just supposed to know that you have to scroll all the way back up and click the confirm button. Unbelievable...
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'd recommend to download the classics from this website!
The classics Sony offers are in Public Domain;you just pay for the connection, hosting service and cover of the book.

The library here hosts many (if not all)of the Sony classics books!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've never had any issues with the Sony software. The Sony free classics on the other hand were too crappy quality wise I've deleted most of them and downloaded better elsewhere.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
fishbaby
fishbaby began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I've never really liked the Sony software - especially since it doesn't work on Macs. I wish they would get rid of it entirely and have the store online.
fishbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
The software really is a bit crap. It's like "baby's first program" or something. Sony always falls short when it comes to this part of the work, unfortunately.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It doesn't really bother me.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have to agree; it's probably one of the worst "professional" (using the term loosely) software products I've ever used.
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
The software is awful, but it can get even worse - Sony could take pointers from Apple... (At least Sony actually allows the use of software from other companies)
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
The software is awful, but it can get even worse - Sony could take pointers from Apple... (At least Sony actually allows the use of software from other companies)
I have no clue what you mean by that.

Do you mean like iTunes? You can use other software to manage your iPod besides iTunes. And you can certainly BUY music from other places (I get 95% of my music from eMusic and Amazon).

Or do you mean "works well, has powerful management and sorting functions, and has a big selection?" and was just being sarcastic?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Do you mean like iTunes?
Yes.

Quote:
You can use other software to manage your iPod besides iTunes.
Not my 2nd generation Touch. I would be even worse off if I didn't use Windows already.

As for the rest, it should suffice to say that my opinion is wildly different from yours. That's why I appreciate Sony for at least sticking to standard protocols (USB Mass Storage, XML for metadata) - if I don't like their software, I can use a different one or even write my own. Which I did, incidentally...
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
This is true. Apple came out with the iPod Classics and they changed how things were done just so you'd be forced to use iTunes. This is not a good thing on Apple's part.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
It doesn't really bother me.
Me either. I've been using it for a long time now. It's quite basic, but it does what I need it to. I don't really buy books from Sony except when they have freebie's so don't use the store part of it very much.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I actually like Sony's eBook Library. Probably because I started with a clean slate of virtually no library. Probably also because I always load via eBook Library (good practice anyway because eBook Library pre-paginates before loading), and am diligent enough to follow a prescribed workflow:

1) add book,
2) drag book to collection.
3) plug in device and watch it auto sync, with some Collections set to go to device, others to SD card, still others to MS (when I get around to buying one).

Nice. (For my needs, that is.)
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
My feelings on Sony's ebook library software...it's not a great program but it does what it's supposed to do.

I buy very little from their store.

I do use the library to transfer everything over to my 505 so that it's prepaginated. I don't add books to "my library" in the software, just drag and drop from my hard drive to the reader.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I actually like Sony's eBook Library. Probably because I started with a clean slate of virtually no library. Probably also because I always load via eBook Library (good practice anyway because eBook Library pre-paginates before loading), and am diligent enough to follow a prescribed workflow:

1) add book,
2) drag book to collection.
3) plug in device and watch it auto sync, with some Collections set to go to device, others to SD card, still others to MS (when I get around to buying one).

Nice. (For my needs, that is.)
Same here for me. Even when I make a book using Calibre, I still open my Sony Library software to load the book in the reader instead of using Calibre's 'send to device' option. I've never had any problems with the software and I've installed it in 3 laptops!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote