Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. It, and "Bleak House" are my favourite Dickens' books, but I suspect that "Bleak House" is too long for many readers.

GE is an absolutely wonderful story, and not in the least bit "heavy", as Jon requests .
Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'll 3rd 'Wuthering Heights'; I've always wondered why a 'hero' who indulges in brutal domestic abuse is such a popular character.
Ok... Wuthering Heights is added to the official nomination list.

BOb
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd suggest "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. It, and "Bleak House" are my favourite Dickens' books, but I suspect that "Bleak House" is too long for many readers.

GE is an absolutely wonderful story, and not in the least bit "heavy", as Jon requests .
So is that a "second" for Bleak House or just a "mention"?

BTW: Since certainly we should have a Dickens on this months vote list I will second daffy's Tale of Two Cities.

BOb

BTW: I am adding the thrice nominated books to the first post. If I have missed any please ameliorate.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
BTW: Since certainly we should have a Dickens on this months vote list I will second daffy's Tale of Two Cities.
I thirded 'Wuthering Heights', but now I really fancy a Trollope.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yep... got that.. but I totally missed why you feel like a Trollope? What's a Trollope? Did you mean Anthony Trollope?

BOb
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #21
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Bob, thank you so much for getting this ball rolling as official VP of the MRBC! I'm really glad to see that the nominations are coming in! I agree with Bob's guidelines for nominations, and I'll start tracking everyone's suggestions for the voting poll.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #22
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yep... got that.. but I totally missed why you feel like a Trollope? What's a Trollope? Did you mean Anthony Trollope?

BOb
Yep, him (of letter box fame) - I was just about to nominate 'He Knew He Was Right'; then realised I'd already committed myself to WH (which I am prepared to carry on supporting) so shouldn't really be throwing other books in the ring.

(It wasn't a sneaky of way of hinting to other possible nominators that a Trollope wouldn't go amiss - definitely not!)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yep, him (of letter box fame) - I was just about to nominate 'He Knew He Was Right'; then realised I'd already committed myself to WH (which I am prepared to carry on supporting) so shouldn't really be throwing other books in the ring.

(It wasn't a sneaky of way of hinting to other possible nominators that a Trollope wouldn't go amiss - definitely not!)
You are welcome to nominate more than one book BTW.

BOb
Old 11-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #24
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Barchester Towers is a good 'un.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

This will count as a nomination for "He Knew He Was Right" from the small bird on the top branch. (Is this book in our Library?)

Any seconds?

BOb
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #26
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
I'd second Three men in a boat as short and hilarious - very dry.
Also Diary of a Nobody, again funny and short.

Somebody mentioned Anthony Trollope. Really hilarious book by him is Ralph the Heir, though any of his novels would be superb so I'll second He knew he was right if that's allowed..

ps I do so like funny books, but there don't seem to be a lot about. As I get older I'm finding I don't want to read about doom, gloom and misery in my spare time. There's enough of it in real life. (sorry for the diversion, but if anyone knows any really funny books to nominate, I'll go along with that!)

Last edited by Ned; 11-17-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: second He knew he was right
Old 11-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #27
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
ps I do so like funny books, but there don't seem to be a lot about. As I get older I'm finding I don't want to read about doom, gloom and misery in my spare time. There's enough of it in real life. (sorry for the diversion, but if anyone knows any really funny books to nominate, I'll go along with that!)
I'd recommend:
Augustus Carp Esquire, by Himself: Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man

Uploaded by Patricia; - hilarious.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #28
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Books I feel I should read:

A Tale of Two Cities
Mobi Dick
Don Quixote
I will just go along with the Duck it is safer that way.

JJ
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Tale of Two Cities now has three nominations and is added to the list.

BOb
Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #30
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I'll third Three Men in a Boat. Always wanted to read that one!
Closed Thread

Tags
mrbc