Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #76
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Ulysses -- the book to which I said no

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I let my kids read whatever they want. I just [want] them to read!
Well, I almost let my kids (when they were young -- the youngest now is 27) whatever they wanted. There was only 1 exception -- James Joyce's Ulysses.

I remember my son coming home from school when he was 12 and in 6th grade and telling me he had to go to the bookstore to buy a book for a homework assignment. I took him and he immediately grabbed Ulysses. I asked him if the teacher had assigned the book and he told me no, the assignment was to do a book report on a book written by a major 20th century author. He had "heard" some discussion about what a great book this was and thought he would do his report on it.

After much fencing, "heard" became schoolyard discussion among the boys and that it was a really "sexy" book. I told him that he could not buy Ulysses because it was too difficult to read at this point in his education but that I would give him an IOU for the book that he could redeem when he was in 9th grade. I explained that the book's use of English structure, particularly the exceedingly long punctuation-less sentences, made it too difficult at that moment.

He argued so I said, OK, here's what we'll do. I'll photocopy a few pages of Ulysses and if he can explain them to me, then he is ready for the book; otherwise, it's the IOU. I also suggested that he time how long it takes him to read and understand those pages, because if I buy the book for him, he will need to read it cover to cover within a month. He accepted the challenge.

A week later he told me to forget it. The book was boring, made no sense, and would require him to give up all fun activities for a month in order to get through it. Just wasn't worth it. He didn't even want the IOU.

But that is the only book I said no to and I only said no because I knew my son would not be able to understand it -- he was still too young and too immature. I don't think he has ever read the book.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #77
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
Rhadin, I think what you are doing is called "responsible parenting" and is not censorship in any form. Good for you! I don't remember buying my own books until I was 15 or so. At what age did any of you begin buying your own books? And, not comic books, OK?
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #78
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwvan View Post
Rhadin, I think what you are doing is called "responsible parenting" and is not censorship in any form. Good for you! I don't remember buying my own books until I was 15 or so. At what age did any of you begin buying your own books? And, not comic books, OK?
I'm pretty sure I bought my first chapter books with my own money when I was 10, at a school "book fair." (The two books were Space Cadet and Between Planets, both by Heinlein.) There were also opportunities to buy books at reduced prices through a catalog ordering program at school. Shortly after that we moved to a town where I could walk home from school and stop at a book store, and I started buying all my own books without supervision. At one point, my mother asked me about the content of one that she felt had a rather suggestive cover (Dreamsnake, by Vonda McIntire), I explained that the cover was not descriptive of the contents of the book, compared it in level of "adult" content to a movie we had both recently seen together, promised to put a concealing cover on it if I took it to school, and that was that.

My parents were not being neglectful. They trusted my maturity to select my own reading material and ask them if I had questions.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote