Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #16
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You are right, I'm not impressed with lackluster. Nor am I impressed with eInk. eInk is a dinosaur now, long past its extinction date. Perhaps large eInk screens have lackluster ppi, but LCD screens bigger than this one long since went to extremely high resolutions.
You complain of eyestrain issues from low DPI, and many others have eyestrain issues from backlighting on LCD and AMOLED displays. Different strokes for different folks.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #17
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
You are right, I'm not impressed with lackluster. Nor am I impressed with eInk. eInk is a dinosaur now, long past its extinction date. Perhaps large eInk screens have lackluster ppi, but LCD screens bigger than this one long since went to extremely high resolutions.
Hi,
I prefer read on a e-ink screen, but a big advantage of e-ink reader is the battery life. I use my device like a book and I don't worry about the charge of the battery. When you read a paper book, do you think to take with you a battery ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
You complain of eyestrain issues from low DPI, and many others have eyestrain issues from backlighting on LCD and AMOLED displays. Different strokes for different folks.
I found I could not use tablets with less than around 260 dpi. I literally saw yellow halos around all text! Gave me headaches. I remember wanting a tablet so badly in 2012, bought hubby a Nexus 7 (2012), but I just couldn't deal with it. Had to wait a year for the higher resolution Nexus 7 (2013) to come out.

Everyone's different, that's for sure! I definitely like the higher dpi on my ereaders as well, though I was able to actually use the original Nook and then Sony 950 without issues. Absolutely loving the Kobo Aura One display though!

Can remember people saying tablets and readers didn't need higher dpi back when, but I really like it! Gimme the pixels!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #19
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would purchase it but 1000 bucks are just too damn much for a monitor
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #20
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I'm not impressed with your lackluster reply, dude

LCD is so 90's... try at least amoled and good luck trying to read under the sun or with low battery after a day of drainage
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
asdfffdsa
asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: not sharing
Finally, an external e-ink monitor ... but $1000 and no digitizer?
asdfffdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #22
dwaltz
dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwaltz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 902, Kobo Glo HD
The absolute number of DPI is not the correct number to use to determine readability.
The correct number is the viewing angle subtended by the pixel size.
That is determined by the combination of the pixel size (or DPI, aka density of pixel) and by the distance.

Another way to put it that I like is to ask: given a DPI at what distance it becomes a retina level?
And the answer is not "150" or "300" or any single DPI number, is the pair: DPI and distance.

You can use this retina calculator to do the math.

But given that we are talking about a 13.3" screen with 1600x1200 vs 2200x1650: the first 150 DPI and is retina at 58 cm (23") distance, while the second is 207 DPI and is retina at 43 cm (17").

So not perfect, but 43 cm for me is close to where I would place a screen of that size, while 58 cm is clearly a bit too far, hence I do appreciate the extra resolution.

Comparing this DPIs to your experience with tablets and phones is misleading unless you keep distance into account: the iPhone 7 is 4.7" and is 1344x750 and is retina at about 28 cm (11"), and nobody (or few) complain about its resolution, But for sure you don't consider reading an eReader 13.3" wide at the same distance at which you hold a smartphone.

Last edited by dwaltz; 04-07-2017 at 05:48 AM.
dwaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #23
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wonder if it its performace as an external monitor will be better than the paperlike
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
Pinnacle1
Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Why are these so expensive? Do e-ink screens really cost that much to produce?
Pinnacle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not the cost of production so much as the fact that this is never going to be a mass-market product, and so a relatively small number of sales have to repay the development costs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #26
Pinnacle1
Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinnacle1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Makes sense. I am really wanting a large e-ink reader. Something in this size would be awesome. The only other option I can see getting is the Onyx Boox Max. Still pricey. Oh well...
Pinnacle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #27
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Well for example, Amazon uses 300 ppi screens. They of course do not have any device bigger than a 6" screen these days. I'm not sure what is available in 13.3" screens, but the fact remains that 207 ppi is unimpressive. At 207 ppi my eyes would be strained trying to read.
I have a Voyage and a Paperwhite with a 300 ppi screen and and the older Paperwhite with the 212 ppi screen. I personally can't tell the difference. I'm told that some people can but I really doubt that would cause eye strain.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #28
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle1 View Post
Why are these so expensive? Do e-ink screens really cost that much to produce?
E Ink/Prime View Int. acquired most of their competition. E Ink is the only one who makes electronic paper displays. Monopoly is a bliss.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #29
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
It's been a while since we heard anything from Dasung, hope they are working hard!
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
E Ink/Prime View Int. acquired most of their competition. E Ink is the only one who makes electronic paper displays. Monopoly is a bliss.
Or a small niche market that could not support multiple sources. Amazon purchased Liquavista from Samsung (originally owned by Phillips, sold to Samsung) and since then nothing has been heard about their technology. SiPix was acquired by E-ink Holdings. Another potential competitor in Bridgestone (yes, the tire company) simply ceased development on their version of e-paper. Xerox stopped work on their version of e-paper (Gyricon) due to cost issues. One surviving competitor is DisplayData though they appear to be solely concentrating on shelf labels at this time.

You might want to check the total for ereader sales from their peak in 2011 at 23.1 million units to 2016 where about 7.1 million units were sold. Not only a niche market but a shrinking niche.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote