Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I personally think they should keep music and literature separated, but what do you expect from a prize organization named after the inventor of dynamite. But just like most other awards organizations, the awards or the opinions of a very few people. I don't really care who wins a Nobel, Oscar, Grammy, or most any other awards based on the opinions a few people. Other than the Fickle Finger of Fate award, they are all pretty much meaningless IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, but this part of your statement applies to me to.

I don't understand this decision and think it is a serious downgrading for those authors who have already received the prize.

I would have hoped there'd be a distinction between people spending years to write a book and it being literature and someone writing a song. And before everyone get up to stone me, I know how songs are written, having been friends over years or decades with some of the biggest in music ever. Still, there is a difference IMO.
Dylan is a poet that sets his poetry to music. Unless we're disqualifying poetry as a form of literature, Dylan is deserving of this honor.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #17
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Dylan is a poet that sets his poetry to music. Unless we're disqualifying poetry as a form of literature, Dylan is deserving of this honor.
Hm. So he lives off his poems and makes music in his spare time? Ah, sorry, I wasn't aware of this.

But I guess might be a musician with poetic lyrics though.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I would have hoped there'd be a distinction between people spending years to write a book and it being literature and someone writing a song
Are you under the impression that Dylan received this award for writing "a song?"
I'm fairly certain he won it for spending years, decades, writing many songs which have become cultural touchstones, and which would easily fill volumes the size of many award-winning books.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
As much as I hate to admit it, but this part of your statement applies to me to.

I don't understand this decision and think it is a serious downgrading for those authors who have already received the prize.

I would have hoped there'd be a distinction between people spending years to write a book and it being literature and someone writing a song. And before everyone get up to stone me, I know how songs are written, having been friends over years or decades with some of the biggest in music ever. Still, there is a difference IMO.
I agree. It'd be different if there wasn't any worthy literature literature nominated. But there was, so choosing a neo-literature nominee doesn't make much sense to me.

God bless Bob Dylan and all, but I sincerely don't get it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #20
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I agree. It'd be different if there wasn't any worthy literature literature nominated. But there was, so choosing a neo-literature nominee doesn't make much sense to me.

God bless Bob Dylan and all, but I sincerely don't get it.
On the other hand, wouldn't that be an awful insult your way? "There was no REAL literature this year, so we're giving it to Bob Dylan by default. It's not like he's actually worthy of it if anyone else was a contender."

Either song writing should be included in the literature category and treated as an equal, or it should not be in the category, and should not be considered.

None of this giving Professor Frink the Nobel prize for his combination hammer/screwdriver just because it was a slow year in science....
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
On the other hand, wouldn't that be an awful insult your way? "There was no REAL literature this year, so we're giving it to Bob Dylan by default. It's not like he's actually worthy of it if anyone else was a contender."
Yes, it probably would be. Hi ho.

Quote:
Either song writing should be included in the literature category and treated as an equal, or it should not be in the category, and should not be considered.
Exactly.

Quote:
None of this giving Professor Frink the Nobel prize for his combination hammer/screwdriver just because it was a slow year in science....
Exactly again.

I meant that I could at least understand it, if there wasn't a traditional contender. Not that I would approve of it and/or prefer it "my way."
Old 10-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My initial reaction was a headscratch, but then I thought of all the years the winner's been someone seemingly selected for political reasons, or whom I've never heard of, or both, and I got behind it.

"[He] can't help it if [he's] lucky."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
My favorite song: FOREVER YOUNG. (Not complete, due to copyright restrictions.)

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung

Written by Bob Dylan • Copyright © Bob Dylan Music Co.

Here's my favorite cover, performed by Rod Stewart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T9apksOv6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3_RCJ3Szjc
Great song. I like the Joan Baez cover myself, though the Dylan version with The Band on The Last Waltz was pretty good.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #24
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Anyone who is interested in the way the later Dylan uses literary (and non-literary) sources in his writing should have a look at Scott Warmuth's blog. A good starting point is this article about the use of phrases from Jack London in Chronicles, Vol 1 (which is a maze of literary allusions diguised as a personal memoir.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #25
ApK

From the New York Times:
Quote:
Sara Danius, a literary scholar and the permanent secretary of the 18-member Swedish Academy, which awards the prize, called Mr. Dylan “a great poet in the English-speaking tradition” and compared him to Homer and Sappho, whose work was delivered orally. Asked if the decision to award the prize to a musician signaled a broadening in the definition of literature, Ms. Danius jokingly responded, “The times they are a changing, perhaps,” referencing one of Mr. Dylan’s songs.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #26
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My initial reaction was ...
My first thoughts were: great decision, wrong timing! Many years too late! Don't know if Bob Dylan still remembers the lyrics for whom he is now honoured.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My initial reaction was a headscratch, but then I thought of all the years the winner's been someone seemingly selected for political reasons, or whom I've never heard of, or both, and I got behind it.

"[He] can't help it if [he's] lucky."
This is certainly true. And I can't get too worked up over it either way, to tell the truth.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
My favorite song: FOREVER YOUNG. (Not complete, due to copyright restrictions.)

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung

Written by Bob Dylan • Copyright © Bob Dylan Music Co.

Here's my favorite cover, performed by Rod Stewart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T9apksOv6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3_RCJ3Szjc
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #29
ApK

I had no idea "Forever Young" was written by Dylan.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Exactly. He was a poet before he was a musician. He chose his pen name from one of his favorite poets - Dylan Thomas.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote