Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Text alignment in Hebrew

When I convert a validated epub3 to mobi using KindlePreviewer
I get two results, one in Calibre which is the correct form where the text is aligned to the right and another result in mobi where the text is aligned to the left, this happens only in unordered lists for some reason.

The HTML & CSS:
Code:
<ul class="margin_bottom margin_top_3">

<li>- "<b>דון רואיס רואס</b> זכה זה עתה בפרס השני באותה השנה. נאום התודה שלו הדליק את משואת ההשראה בלבם של מאזיניו הוותיקים, וגרם אף לספקנים שבקהל לקבל את עצם זכייתו..."</li>

<li>- "<b>איווון דקארט</b> היה..."</li>

<li>- "<b>סומר אספניו</b> חשב שהוא חושב שהוא, אבל אור היום המתהדר בצבעי תכלת ארגמניים הקיצו מחלומותיו בהקיץ..."</li>

</ul>

<p class="indented">כל השמות שעלו במוחי נראו לי יותר מדי מוכנים, יותר מדי בשלים, יותר מדי בנויים בשביל הסיפור שלי. לסיפור שלי צריך להיות אם לא עלילה, אז לפחות גיבור שיגדל ויבשיל עם הקורא. הוא לא יכול להיות עוד גיבור נכזב שמצא וחווה את חייו בין הצלחה לכישלון אחד מהדהד וממושמע. הוא צריך להיות גיבור שיזדהה עם הקורא אפילו עוד לפני שזה יזדהה איתו.</p>
CSS is attached.

I would like the list items to be aligned to the right.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	268
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	128739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	217
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	128740   Click image for larger version

Name:	ComputedFinalStyle.png
Views:	230
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	128741  
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Since you forgot to attach your css file, it's hard to tell what the exact problem is. Did you define rtl for the body tag?

Code:
body {direction: rtl;}
or

Code:
<body dir="rtl">...</body>
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

The computed CSS shows exactly the CSS rules I applied to the html.

I always use dir="rtl" since it's a must for EPUB3 validation. I also tried to ad the direction:rtl through inline styling and it didn't work.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
The computed CSS shows exactly the CSS rules I applied to the html.
It doesn't indicate the text direction, though. For this and many other reasons it helps to see the actual CSS for all elements. For example, I assume that you hide the auto-generated bullet symbol via CSS. All this is not obvious from the CSS screenshot and any one of these style definitions might affect the overall display of the text.

BTW, with body {direction: rtl;}, the text appears to be properly aligned on my Kindle PW2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rtl_test.png
Views:	219
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	128751  
Old 09-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
odedta
Addict

Well, I did that and nothing changed, I even used !important, no result...

Why are you caught on to CSS not attached? all there is are two classed about margin-top and margin-bottom :/ anyway, this is the general CSS:
Code:
body {
  font-family: "FRealBeletBook";
  font-size: 1em;
  font-weight: normal;
  text-align: justify;
  margin: 5pt 5pt 0 5pt;
}
ul {
  font-family: "Fb FRealBeletBook";
}
li {
  display: block;
}
p {
  line-height: 1.338em;
}
.margin_top_3 {
  margin-top: 1em;
}
.margin_bottom {
  margin-bottom: 2em;
}
Advert
Old 09-24-2014, 04:19 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

I just did a quick test with your CSS, and the compiled .mobi file looked OK on my PW2 and Kindle for iOS app, but not with the Kindle for PC app.

Most likely, the Kindle for PC app uses a different rendering engine. If you want to achieve 100% compatibility, you might have to experiment with tables or other HTML elements.

BTW, the firmware of eInk Kindles does not support embedded fonts for RTL languages; RTL languages will always be rendered with the glyphs from the code2000 fallback font. (You cannot see this in my screen capture, because I installed a font override that uses the Hebrew glyphs from Arial.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KindlePW2.png
Views:	215
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	128775  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 rtl_ul_test.azw3 (15.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: epub rtl_ul_test.epub (2.7 KB, 287 views)
Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
odedta
Addict

Ah! Great information there Doitsu! Thank you very much for your help, i will keep on experimenting.