Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
henders254
Enthusiast
henders254 began at the beginning.

Device: None at the moment
deleted

deleted

Last edited by henders254; 07-03-2017 at 04:44 PM.
henders254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
tidegirl
tidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS T2
I am interested in the responses to this. My PW2 should arrive Monday. I have been telling my hubby it will be worth the price even though I have a perfectly good Sony PRS T2 because I will no longer need the bedside lamp that drives him nuts. I hope it isn't bad.
tidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any illuminated screen has to send light outwards - if it didn't, the light wouldn't enter your eyes, and you couldn't see it. That's just the way it has to be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
tidegirl
tidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Well yeah, that makes sense.

So Harry do you think it is annoyingly bright on the lower settings? I would think it had to be better than my current bedside lamp , especially since hubby sleeps with the tv on. He can't complain too much, right?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, on the lowest lighting level it's a mere glimmer in a dark room. I normally use mine on a brightness setting of about 6 or 7 in a dark room. Everyone's preferences differ in these things, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I sleep with my wife, and she has no complaints about the light on the KP2. Unfortunately, there is no white noise button on the Kindle to mask her snoring, which she says she doesn't do.

I'm hoping that the next Paperwhite will also have a 'record' button so I can prove her wrong.

Barring these two advancements, I'm thinking of setting up a series of bright lamps in the bedroom that I can turn on by remote control when she is asleep, in addition to a multi-track professional reel-to-reel tape deck.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can buy white noise machines that work well. I have one because of tinnitus. I bought it at KMart. It came with a CD player and clock/radio.

ETA; I also have one from Sharper Image that is a small travel size clock/radio/sound machine.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
Just the way they work. I have the amazon case on mine so when i open the cover no light goes over to my wife's side - if she slept on the other side of the bed i would be in trouble i guess!!
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I sleep with my wife, and she has no complaints about the light on the KP2. Unfortunately, there is no white noise button on the Kindle to mask her snoring, which she says she doesn't do.

I'm hoping that the next Paperwhite will also have a 'record' button so I can prove her wrong.

Barring these two advancements, I'm thinking of setting up a series of bright lamps in the bedroom that I can turn on by remote control when she is asleep, in addition to a multi-track professional reel-to-reel tape deck.

Just a bit of advice: If the wife says that she does not snore, then you should accept that as fact, whether it is or not. This is one of those battles that you are better off not winning. Getting caught up in arguments based around inane trivialities such as truth, reality, etc. will only cause you headaches, which she will also tell you do not exist. Just stop now while you are still ahead (just don't tell her that).
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Just a bit of advice: If the wife says that she does not snore, then you should accept that as fact, whether it is or not. This is one of those battles that you are better off not winning. Getting caught up in arguments based around inane trivialities such as truth, reality, etc. will only cause you headaches, which she will also tell you do not exist. Just stop now while you are still ahead (just don't tell her that).

Is it OK if I tell her that YOU said that?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Have to agree with Avwriter here...my husband tried to tell me for years that I snored...Simply not so! And he finally gave up trying to convince me. He's taken to wearing earplugs for sleeping which has solved the problem to both our satisfaction.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #12
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Um...sorry, gang, going to strongly disagree with those who'd rather pretend the snoring doesn't exist. Chances are there's sleep apnea going on...and that can lead to extremely major health issues. My husband developed nightmarish adult-onset grand mal seizures as a result of long untreated apnea. According to his doctors, healthy people do NOT routinely snore, especially not loudly.

So I vote for recording the snoring, and measuring the decibels on video, so when you play it back for them, you can be sure you have the volume set correctly for maximum impact.
/end rant

Back on topic: how much light is shed by a PW1/PW2 in the dark is very dependent on the light setting. I typically read at level 7 or so in full darkness, and at that level, it's less bright than most wall-mount night lights, and I should think that anything below 10 wouldn't bother most people. Whether or not this is a comfortable reading level or is something a bed partner can sleep through is going to be very subjective, though. There's definitely a small amount of light spillover even at those low levels, but it's certainly way less than a beside light or a flickering TV left on in the dark.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Back on topic: how much light is shed by a PW1/PW2 in the dark is very dependent on the light setting. I typically read at level 7 or so in full darkness, and at that level, it's less bright than most wall-mount night lights, and I should think that anything below 10 wouldn't bother most people. Whether or not this is a comfortable reading level or is something a bed partner can sleep through is going to be very subjective, though. There's definitely a small amount of light spillover even at those low levels, but it's certainly way less than a beside light or a flickering TV left on in the dark.[/QUOTE]

I see lots of posts from people that say they read on the Kindles with a light level of 7-8 in full darkness. That just amazes me--at those levels I have trouble reading the words--even if the fonts are fairly large. I need mine set to at least 10--usually leave it at 11 for comfortable night time reading. Makes me curious whether it's the light in my reader is dimmer than others or my eyes.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #14
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Quote:
Back on topic: how much light is shed by a PW1/PW2 in the dark is very dependent on the light setting. I typically read at level 7 or so in full darkness, and at that level, it's less bright than most wall-mount night lights, and I should think that anything below 10 wouldn't bother most people. Whether or not this is a comfortable reading level or is something a bed partner can sleep through is going to be very subjective, though. There's definitely a small amount of light spillover even at those low levels, but it's certainly way less than a beside light or a flickering TV left on in the dark.
I see lots of posts from people that say they read on the Kindles with a light level of 7-8 in full darkness. That just amazes me--at those levels I have trouble reading the words--even if the fonts are fairly large. I need mine set to at least 10--usually leave it at 11 for comfortable night time reading. Makes me curious whether it's the light in my reader is dimmer than others or my eyes.
I think some people are simply more sensitive to light in full dark. In bed at night, my iPad & iPhone both have to be set to minimum in order to use them at all; otherwise, I find them blinding. (Both have f.lux installed via jailbreak to tint them away from the blue spectrum at night as well.) It doesn't take much light to bother me when trying to sleep either; a lit digital clock can do it from across the room. So I may very well be using my PW at a level lower than many others would feel comfortable at. I'll often start higher and drop the light level down as I read later too. Maybe I'm just weird. LOL

Then again...has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of light levels on seemingly identical Kindles? I don't remember seeing one. Could there be a great deal of variance?
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 AM   #15
tidegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Actually I could help you with that since I am a sleep tech. Florida may be a little far for you to travel to prove her wrong though.