Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Apple Phones? Getting out of date?

Apple phones are losing ground to Samsung BIG TIME. I just bought a Sammy Galaxy Note 2. Now my iPhone 5 looks like a 20 yr old piece of crap. What's your folks take on this? I always loved Apple. I think they are going the route of Mircosoft. Please bring back innovation. (Steve Jobs).

Last edited by MrDoug; 01-08-2013 at 10:30 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
What's your folks take on this?
Being dead, they don't have much need for a phone.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

Hey MrDoug
It isn't like Apple is loosing market or something else, sure people are loving Android phones due to different reasons like bigger screen size, multiple options to choose from, Android phones are cheaper, and more but the biggest market of Smartphones (United States) has more than 52% active iPhone users by the end of Q4 of 2012.
Apple holds their own reputation and a single product iPhone5 has changed the market of smartphones.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
In South Africa a Samsung is a quarter the price of an iPhone. In fact an iPhone not purchased on a contract costs twice what you would pay for an iPad. I am sticking with Samsung thank you very much.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Apple phones are losing ground to Samsung BIG TIME. I just bought a Sammy Galaxy Note 2. Now my iPhone 5 looks like a 20 yr old piece of crap. What's your folks take on this? I always loved Apple. I think they are going the route of Mircosoft. Please bring back innovation. (Steve Jobs).
I think it's lost its shine. It hasn't really changed since the introduction in 2007, what have they brought to the table? A half-baked implementation of multi-tasking, facebook sharing (whoohoo!), a broken maps app, a copy-cat of Android's notification bar and an extra 0.5".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jones View Post
Hey MrDoug
It isn't like Apple is loosing market or something else, sure people are loving Android phones due to different reasons like bigger screen size, multiple options to choose from, Android phones are cheaper, and more but the biggest market of Smartphones (United States) has more than 52% active iPhone users by the end of Q4 of 2012.
Apple holds their own reputation and a single product iPhone5 has changed the market of smartphones.
I think the reason is that most of them never used an iphone so they just want one. Here in Singapore iphone was huge 2 years ago but samsung started getting a foothold with Galaxy S2 and Note. Now Galaxy Note II is the most coveted device around here. Costs $100-200 more with contract compared to iphone.
A year or so ago with people were giving away iphone as prizes for signing up for anything or contest whatever. Today most are giving away note 2.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
Quote:
I agree completely...the iPhone lacks innovation compared to pretty much everyone else
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
I have no idea what planet you were on twenty years ago, but on this planet there was nothing remotely like an iPhone. We have both the latest Samsung and Apple devices in our family - not much to pick between them. I think your bias is showing.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jones View Post
Hey MrDoug

Last I heard, Android had a 72% (world-wide) market share...

"Android's overall smartphone market share has jumped to 72.4% in Q3 2012, up from 52.5% in the same period last year, Gartner's latest data shows."

http://mashable.com/2012/11/14/android-72-percent/
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Last I heard, Android had a 72% (world-wide) market share...

"Android's overall smartphone market share has jumped to 72.4% in Q3 2012, up from 52.5% in the same period last year, Gartner's latest data shows."

http://mashable.com/2012/11/14/android-72-percent/
Now what most of them are going to say is that Apple might have less market share but it has majority profit share. Which is nor true as Samsung made about around 8 billion just like apple.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Now what most of them are going to say is that Apple might have less market share but it has majority profit share. Which is nor true as Samsung made about around 8 billion just like apple.
Not sure where you are getting your figures from?
Samsung's 2012Q3 results saw $5.3 Bn US in profits from its IT/Mobile division, comprising:
"The IT & Mobile Communications division, comprising Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, IT Solutions and Digital Imaging"
They didn't break out phone profits.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard

http://bgr.com/2013/01/08/samsung-q4...gs-est-285549/

The company released preliminary unaudited earnings estimates for the fourth quarter on Tuesday, and it expects to post record sales and profit when it reports Q4 2012 later this month. Samsung estimates that it earned a staggering $8.3 billion on sales of up to $53.6 billion. The company said it sold close to 500 handsets per minute in the fourth quarter, suggeting that total combined smartphone and feature phone sales may have approached 65 million units in the quarter.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
http://bgr.com/2013/01/08/samsung-q4...gs-est-285549/

The company released preliminary unaudited earnings estimates for the fourth quarter on Tuesday, and it expects to post record sales and profit when it reports Q4 2012 later this month. Samsung estimates that it earned a staggering $8.3 billion on sales of up to $53.6 billion. The company said it sold close to 500 handsets per minute in the fourth quarter, suggeting that total combined smartphone and feature phone sales may have approached 65 million units in the quarter.
Apple's expected to report about $11 billion dollars profit in Q4 by comparison, but your point is valid. Samsung is clearly now in the same ball park.

What I found interesting about the figures is that Apple's big number is in a quarter where they launched their new, much anticipated, flagship phone and mini tablet. However, Samsung's hot devices were launched in the previous quarter to this. It does suggest that Samsung's profits are spread more across their range, so the total sales for each company over 2013 are going to make interesting reading.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Consumer Reports and Business Insider appears to agree with those who think Apple is all of a sudden playing catch up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessInsider.com
One of the reasons Apple's stock has gotten clobbered lately is that many people think Apple has lost its edge in its most important product line: smartphones.

The iPhone has been such a mind-boggling success that it drives more than half of Apple's overall profit. And for most of the past five years, Apple has had a lock on the "best smartphone in the market."

In recent years, however, competitors have caught up with the iPhone. Some reviewers think Samsung's new phone is superior to Apple's latest phone. And many people expect Samsung to leap ahead when the new Galaxy S4 comes out this spring.

Another respected product reviewer, Consumer Reports, agrees with those who think Apple has lost its edge.

In fact, Consumer Reports' conclusion is even more depressing for Apple fans.
Consumer Reports actually rates the iPhone 5 the worst of the top smartphones.
The article goes on to quote (and provide a photo of) a recent Consumer Reports test in where the iPhone 5 scored below phones from LG, Samsung, Motorola and HTC.

You can read more here: http://www.businessinsider.com/consu...phone-5-2013-1
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Dopedangel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Apple's expected to report about $11 billion dollars profit in Q4 by comparison, but your point is valid. Samsung is clearly now in the same ball park.

What I found interesting about the figures is that Apple's big number is in a quarter where they launched their new, much anticipated, flagship phone and mini tablet. However, Samsung's hot devices were launched in the previous quarter to this. It does suggest that Samsung's profits are spread more across their range, so the total sales for each company over 2013 are going to make interesting reading.

Graham
Yes but from what has been in reported Samsung is loosing billions in Lcd and some other businesses and it is its smartphone that are generating profits. It would be an interesting read once official figures are released