Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
DarrellAtKobo
Kobo Customer Care
DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hi Rainio, Darrell from the @Kobo team here. Thanks for posting your feedback of the new Kobo Glo. What you’re seeing is a natural effect of the front light technology. The team has fine-tuned the technology to minimize those effects as much as possible to provide a soft, even, adjustable glow and enhance the reading experience day or night.

Regards,
Darrell.
DarrellAtKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #32
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
No Kobo Glo here in Ireland yet, so jealous of all you lucky people having fun with your new toys

Off topic: Boo hoo, no software update for my KT, if I had a beer, I would be crying into it :-(

Last edited by Breid; 10-01-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #33
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
sorry for the double post

Last edited by judyz; 10-02-2012 at 02:38 AM.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #34
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
Not one crash here. Upgrading from an old Kobo Wifi model. I haven't owned a touch but I have set them up for friends and family members. But then I also NEVER disconnect it from the computer without ejecting. I am also patient enough to allow it a few seconds to do it's update after adding a book without hitting buttons. These two things seem to make a big difference in my experience.

I find the GLO is a nice compact unit. Physically quite smaller. The back is still ruberized and has a cross hatch pattern but isn't as nicely quilted as my old Kobo was. Physically it seems like a better constructed unit with higher quality plastics. There are two physical buttons on the top. One that is ironically hard to see in the dark for the light beside the slider switch for the power. Both are recessed to avoid accidental hits and seem well made. I am sure after a day or two I will have the light button position memorized by touch.

The screen is certainly higher resolution though for the average page of text you wont notice it. It is quite nice though for pictures and diagrams. The option of choosing your refresh is quite nice. The refresh can be set between 1-6 pages. Obviously with a 6 page refresh you will get astonomical battery life but personally I love the clean look of a refreshed page with 0 ghosting. At a refresh of 6 with this screen one can see some ghosting but nothing that would stop you from enjoying it. Just a personal preference.

The light is such a huge improvement that I don't know where to start. I find myself using it constantly. It significantly reduces eye strain and makes you realize just how less than ideal the lighting conditions are in some of the places you read. It is easily adjustable and magically even. You will see a couple of waves (like water marks) at times at the bottom when the light is on in certain conditions but it seems like a pretty trivial thing. It is certainly far more even than any clip light I have ever used and quite an upgrade. It is remarkable how they have managed to make it so even. With the light turned up the eink screen certainly looks more white than grey. The light is adjustable quit easily.

The processor and general performance seems much improved. The eink lag is barely noticeable unless you are trying to type in a long password. It passed my stress test (updating the data base after having 500 books sideloaded onto it) with flying colours. Doing this on my old wifi was the kind of cruel thing that could leave you looking for a pin. Even the touch seemed to sit in the corner and cry for a few minutes. The GLO is definately much snappier and didn't crash.

Software: The extras included include Sukuko, Chess, sketch pad and a browser. I find the menu a bit less intuitive than I would prefer. It takes multiple selections to get to things. The software keyboard certainly isn't optimized that well. Basic functionality like the period key require a second screen and for instance the browser doesn't have any web specific keys. But we do get blessed with a rather large key for french accents and some curiously placed arrow keys. The faster hardware and new high res screen does make it possible to browse the web without too much difficulty as long as you don't mind black and white. You wont be watching youtube videos obviously but you could check your email or the news headlines if you found yourself stranded with just your Kobo and a wifi connection. I don't think anyone will choose to use their Kobo for the web given any other choice.

I have to admit I don't bother with Kobo's software since I find Calibre (totally free software) does a much better job including the sideloading of books you didn't specifically purchase from Kobo. They don't have a driver for the GLO yet since it was just released but no doubt it will be out soon. For now you just have to pick "save to disk" and select specific format epub and choose your device as the drive. I am hopeful that Kobo will eventually sit down with the folks at Calibre and assist them with the nuances of how to read the Kobo database so that we can enjoy the full functionality of Calibre. The Kobo app is great for synching among various devices with the books in your Kobo library but for someone with a mix of devices and files it doesn't do everything as easily as Calibre.

Thats my thoughts after a day with the GLO. Hope this is helpful to others considering it. I certainly am not feeling any buyers remorse. I got two good years out of my wifi and expect that and more from my new GLO.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #35
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
In terms of crashes I've had around 5 "freezes" - once on an epub, the rest on particular pages of a pdf, so it's probably dodgy files. The device becomes unresponsive and cannot be turned off/sleep mode and had to paperclip it.

On another note, I have a "bright" pixel - with the light turned on it the pixel is much brighter than the rest of the screen. Not a problem with it off.

EDIT: Oh, and can we get a "glo" prefix for the forum, if the higher beings are listening?
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #36
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
In terms of crashes I've had around 5 "freezes" - once on an epub, the rest on particular pages of a pdf, so it's probably dodgy files. The device becomes unresponsive and cannot be turned off/sleep mode and had to paperclip it.

On another note, I have a "bright" pixel - with the light turned on it the pixel is much brighter than the rest of the screen. Not a problem with it off.

EDIT: Oh, and can we get a "glo" prefix for the forum, if the higher beings are listening?
Take it back and get a new one! That bright pixel is a defect and will get uncomfortable when reading in the dark.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #37
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

I'm going to try to today and will let you know if they agree!

I have a niggling doubt they may say one pixel is not enough - apparently that's the line that was given when people tried to replace their Nexus 7s.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #38
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Do e-ink screens get dead pixels? Or is it physical screen damage causing a bright spot?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #39
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Goodereader.com has a video comparing Touch and Glo:
http://goodereader.com/blog/good-e-r...-the-kobo-glo/

With light off Kobo Glo's screen is crisper and whiter than Touch's screen.

On the other hand, with lights on, Glo's light seems blue, but in a dark room, seems white.

Last edited by myself11; 10-02-2012 at 05:39 AM.
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #40
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
I guess I am not the only one then! It's not horrible, but once you notice it, you can't stop. Mines in the bottom right corner about a quarter of the way up the screen.

Let me know how you make out with the exchange, I may do that myself.
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #41
Nilotikus
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyz View Post
Software: The extras included include Sukuko, Chess, sketch pad and a browser.
It has that stuff? Would never have known if you hadn't mentioned it. Certainly not mentioned in the manual, at least the PDF from the web site I'm using.

For anyone else these are tucked away under the rather inappropriate 'settings' menu then 'extras'. Very counter intuitive. Whoever worked on the navigation for this thing should be fired. These should be accessible directly from the home page.

Either the instruction manual is just plain bad or maybe I'm missing something. I appreciate that a nice simple 'Quick Start' style of guide is great to get started quickly. Though nowhere does it mention that your book files need to be stored directly in the root. It was only when I got on these forums that someone told me that. Now that might be obvious to people who have had ereaders before but then those people probably won't need a guide anyway.

On the other hand there's no detail for those who want to delve a bit deeper. I have no idea what programs are installed and no idea how to add or remove them. In fact the manual tells you nothing about the OS at all. For documentation: 1 star.

SOME PROBLEMS

1. On the epubs I've loaded you can't change the line spacing or the margins and even the font sizes seem quite limited. You seem to jump from too small to too large in just one step. There's also no option to read in landscape mode (at least that I can find). What does one need to do to get these working properly? Change something in the CSS file perhaps?

2. Reading PDFs is a frustrating. To be honest I think a bigger screen is really needed for best viewing of PDFs. Perhaps with better eyesight you'd do better but still not the nicest reading experience. With PDFs you can change the orientation and zoom in. What works nicely is scrolling using your finger. When you do this you get a little mini pop view of the page so you know exactly where you are. However on at least one book I was thwarted when I couldn't get to the next page by tapping anywhere. The only way was to bring up the slider control which tends to send you to several pages in front. I gave up on that book. Perhaps there's a better way but I've not found it yet.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #42
rainio
Connoisseur

Yes, some pdf's can be difficult to read but that could be the coding of the pdf (?).

In terms of the dead pixel, WHSmith exchanged it without any questions.

I recommend anyone going to a store to purchase one OPEN THE BOX, TURN THE LIGHT ON (there will be charge) AND CHECK FOR BRIGHT SPOTS.

Otherwise, if you see a bright pixel exchange it ASAP as they may cotton on if it's common and say you need more than one to exchange.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilotikus View Post

1. On the epubs I've loaded you can't change the line spacing or the margins and even the font sizes seem quite limited. You seem to jump from too small to too large in just one step. There's also no option to read in landscape mode (at least that I can find). What does one need to do to get these working properly? Change something in the CSS file perhaps?
Yep noticed that too. Some epubs have fixed spacing/margins and my kobo can't override those. The only solution i've found is to convert those files with calibre with remove margins checked and a minimal line spacing of 0% (basically it removes some stuff in the css file for me). Free kepubs don't seem to have those problems though.
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilotikus View Post
It has that stuff? Would never have known if you hadn't mentioned it. Certainly not mentioned in the manual, at least the PDF from the web site I'm using.
What guide are you looking at? I don't think I have seen a Kobo guide in PDF form. On the reader is a welcome guide with the basics.

And I have just discovered that someone at Kobo needs to be shot. There was an extensive and good help installed on the Touch. It has been removed with one of the firmware updates.
[/QUOTE]
For anyone else these are tucked away under the rather inappropriate 'settings' menu then 'extras'. Very counter intuitive. Whoever worked on the navigation for this thing should be fired. These should be accessible directly from the home page.
[/QUOTE]
I agree that at least the browser should be more easily accessible.
Quote:
Either the instruction manual is just plain bad or maybe I'm missing something. I appreciate that a nice simple 'Quick Start' style of guide is great to get started quickly. Though nowhere does it mention that your book files need to be stored directly in the root. It was only when I got on these forums that someone told me that. Now that might be obvious to people who have had ereaders before but then those people probably won't need a guide anyway.
You don't have to store them in the root. You can manually sideload books into just about any directory. The only ones I wouldn't try are the ".kobo" and whatever the ADE directory is called (I know it has "digital editions" in its name). By default, calibre will create a directory for each author and put books into those.

Quote:
On the other hand there's no detail for those who want to delve a bit deeper. I have no idea what programs are installed and no idea how to add or remove them. In fact the manual tells you nothing about the OS at all. For documentation: 1 star.
What you see is what you get. You can't add or remove any of the applications. You can put books onto the device and read them. There is a browser to help find other books. And a shop application.

Quote:

SOME PROBLEMS

I agree that landscape mode is missing.

As to the fonts and spacing etc, the device respects the styling in the book. So, if margins are set in the book, they can't be changed on the device. In that case, you need to edit the book to change whatever is needed; probably the stylesheet but you may need to make other changes depending on the formatting.

Quote:
2. Reading PDFs is a frustrating. To be honest I think a bigger screen is really needed for best viewing of PDFs. Perhaps with better eyesight you'd do better but still not the nicest reading experience. With PDFs you can change the orientation and zoom in. What works nicely is scrolling using your finger. When you do this you get a little mini pop view of the page so you know exactly where you are. However on at least one book I was thwarted when I couldn't get to the next page by tapping anywhere. The only way was to bring up the slider control which tends to send you to several pages in front. I gave up on that book. Perhaps there's a better way but I've not found it yet.
I agree with the comments about PDFs. I pretty much gave up on them on my Touch after the first try. I convert them to epub or find an epub version. I don't try to read PDF text books as they screen is just to small.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasofruix View Post
Yep noticed that too. Some epubs have fixed spacing/margins and my kobo can't override those. The only solution i've found is to convert those files with calibre with remove margins checked and a minimal line spacing of 0% (basically it removes some stuff in the css file for me). Free kepubs don't seem to have those problems though.
My experience has been that books purchased from legitimate places and only had the drm removed do not have these problems. OTOH, books that I have gotten from other folks who have run them through calibre AND altered them so that a calibre stylesheet attaches may, depending on the choices made by whoever converts them. I recommend that if you have one of those books, remove margins and fonts using look and feel in calibre before uploading them to your device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote