Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
markstani
markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Problem converting PDFs

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I'm suddenly having problems reading some PDFs on my Kindle. The words are either randomlysquashed togetherlike this, or certain letters are missing - for example, my latest download misses off the start of all words beginning fl, ie. (fl)owers. I know how to e-mail to my Kindle with "convert" in the subject line, etc etc. It used to work fine, but it appears this Cight be an issue to do with some new downloading software. Any ideas? Thanks.
markstani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Problem converting PDFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by markstani View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I'm suddenly having problems reading some PDFs on my Kindle. The words are either randomlysquashed togetherlike this, or certain letters are missing - for example, my latest download misses off the start of all words beginning fl, ie. (fl)owers. I know how to e-mail to my Kindle with "convert" in the subject line, etc etc. It used to work fine, but it appears this Cight be an issue to do with some new downloading software. Any ideas? Thanks.
This is a common problem when you convert certain PDFs that are generated by certain (presently which ones do this is unknown to me) PDF generating software. Try printing the afflicted PDF with PDFCreator installed (choose PDFCreator as your destination printer) which will create a new PDF file (it doesn't output anything to your printer) and then convert this new PDF file.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
It's probably using a ligature instead of fl, and that character is missing from the Kindle fonts.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ligatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
It's probably using a ligature instead of fl, and that character is missing from the Kindle fonts.
I agree, and the method I outlined has, in my experience, produced a new PDF that doesn't use ligatures.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote