Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Renji
Connoisseur
Renji began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story WiFi, Sony PRS-T1
Would you replace a perfect working ereader just to upgrade from 8 to 16 level grey..

Hi Guys,

As before mentioned in one of my post, I have an iRiver Cover Story which I mainly use for reading books and Manga. I'm thinking of purchasing a PRS-T1, found about rooting it, so Manga is no longer a problem. But just wanting to ask is it really worth replacing if I have a perfectly good working ebook? The only difference between the PRS-T1 is the infared touch tech. (Cover Story is Touch too) and 16 level greyscal, Cover Story is only 8 level but I read perfect from it.

Also I do read Korean and Japanese ebooks from text files but know sony doesn't support unicode atm.

I'd like to hear from everyones opinion and also from people who may have had a similar situation with their 8 level greyscale ereaders that mainly use it for reading.
Renji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
No, I would NOT do that. There would be a couple of reasons:

- Why changing, while you are satisified with your reader?
- In my experience the distinction betwenn 8 and 16 gray shadings isn't huge and zerro for text-books. I've had both to compare.
- IR-touch is great when you want to use dictionaries. If that doesn't count much (you didn't mention it), why changing?
- If the iRiver is PERFECTLY working I would not risk changing it to a maybe not perfectly working T1 (problems are reported...)

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
I would upgrade ... and I did.

The number of colors isn't really that important. However, you will see a huge improvement in contrast with the newer Pearl-display. The older Vizplex-display, which is used in the iriver Cover Story, has a contrast ratio of 7:1, while the newer Pearl-Display features a ratio of 10:1. That's nearly 50% better and you will notice it right away if you're seeing those displays side by side.

You don't need to buy the PRS-T1 ... For mangas there's actually a better alternative IMO: the iriver Story HD. Its displayresolution is much higher than on other readers, which will especially be visible on images.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Renji
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
I would upgrade ... and I did.

The number of colors isn't really that important. However, you will see a huge improvement in contrast with the newer Pearl-display. The older Vizplex-display, which is used in the iriver Cover Story, has a contrast ratio of 7:1, while the newer Pearl-Display features a ratio of 10:1. That's nearly 50% better and you will notice it right away if you're seeing those displays side by side.

You don't need to buy the PRS-T1 ... For mangas there's actually a better alternative IMO: the iriver Story HD. Its displayresolution is much higher than on other readers, which will especially be visible on images.
Yea, I know about the iriver Story HD, but I'm trying to avoid ebook readers with keyboards as it makes it bigger imo.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Let me give you another reason to upgrade: I want to buy the Cover Story from you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
Yea, I know about the iriver Story HD, but I'm trying to avoid ebook readers with keyboards as it makes it bigger imo.
Ah, I didn't see you've got a PRS-650 already, so you know what the differences between the two technologies are ...

Yeah, the keyboard makes the reader unnecessary large. But it's not that bad. I found the Story HD to be quite handy. I think the weight is far more important. And here is the Story HD pretty good - only 208 grams vs. 282 grams of the Cover Story ...
Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'd like to hear from everyones opinion and also from people who may have had a similar situation with their 8 level greyscale ereaders that mainly use it for reading.
I switched from 5" Vizplex to 6" Story HD. It helps a lot for images (comics) and more detailed scripts than ABC (Japanese). Which is exactly the use case you describe so the Story HD sounds like the right device for you.

I don't need the keyboard either but, it doesn't hurt really. The reader is very comfortable to hold and the wide 4way button works great. The new Kindle went with this really small 4way button that I can't get used to.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Renji
Connoisseur

@Nate the great lol,

@Analogus good info to know.

@cme, I don't have my PRS-650 anymore as I used mainly the Cover Story as before the custom firmwares Cover Story supported more format including CBZ and ZIP
Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Renji
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I switched from 5" Vizplex to 6" Story HD. It helps a lot for images (comics) and more detailed scripts than ABC (Japanese). Which is exactly the use case you describe so the Story HD sounds like the right device for you.

I don't need the keyboard either but, it doesn't hurt really. The reader is very comfortable to hold and the wide 4way button works great. The new Kindle went with this really small 4way button that I can't get used to.
Yea not that big but I prefer holding something that is similar size to a manga book which is roughly iRiver Cover Story size and PRS-T1. Another big thing is that the iRiver Cover Story HD cost more than $200+ in Australia and also almost the same price if shipped from U.S. whereas the PRS-T1 is $178 AU here.
I was looking to buy it again from Korea again but it still cost more than a PRS-T1
Old 11-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Financial considerations aside - why not have both ?

Then you know you'll have the right one .............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
cme
reader

Quote:
@cme, I don't have my PRS-650 anymore as I used mainly the Cover Story as before the custom firmwares Cover Story supported more format including CBZ and ZIP
another thought: buy a prs-650 and try a custom firmware: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...review-how-to/

those support CBR and ZIP
Old 11-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Hi Guys,

As before mentioned in one of my post, I have an iRiver Cover Story which I mainly use for reading books and Manga. I'm thinking of purchasing a PRS-T1, found about rooting it, so Manga is no longer a problem. But just wanting to ask is it really worth replacing if I have a perfectly good working ebook? The only difference between the PRS-T1 is the infared touch tech. (Cover Story is Touch too) and 16 level greyscal, Cover Story is only 8 level but I read perfect from it.

Also I do read Korean and Japanese ebooks from text files but know sony doesn't support unicode atm.

That's difficult to answer, because we don't know what's important to you, or how sensitive you might be to 'small' changes.

I didn't jump to upgrade to a Pearl screen because I didn't see much difference between my PRS-505 and the readers in the stores, but after reading on my T1 for awhile, I can appreciate the increased contrast.

Even so, I'm glad I didn't upgrade until now, because the T1 is the 'perfect' device for me.

So the question is - is there anything out there now that would fulfill all your needs? Or is what you have 'good enough' until something better comes along?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Or is what you have 'good enough' until something better comes along?
Also be aware that "until something better" is probably another 2 years.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I have a PRS-505 and a PRS-950 one is 8 level the other is 16 level one is a pearl screen the other is not and side by side for text novels I can not tell any difference in the look of the display.

Now I do love other features such as the longer screen, faster page turns, touch screen etc... but if the display was my only consideration I wouldn't upgrade.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #15
Renji
Connoisseur

Thanks guys, yea it's mainly text I'm using it for as well as Manga but with Manga I know 16 makes a huge difference but only problem with PRS T1 is that it doesn't support the CBZ (until you root it and use android apps). But when I go on holiday I'm pretty sure I'll be using mainly for reading my ebooks