Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
USB connector becomes loose

I have had my Kobo since the first day it came out. Lately I have been having problem with the USB connector that would not connect to the computer. The green light comes up saying it is charging but I cannot press the button saying that I want to connect it to the computer since it disappears instantaneously. Sometimes when connected to the computer the box would pop up even if it already connected. And when disconnecting it and adding new books it doesn't seem to see that it is disconnected and won't trigger the processing content being frozen on the connected and charging screen.

Tried with 2 different cable, same thing. Funny thing on my girlfriend netbook the window will stay open. So I wasn't sure if it was a problem with by desktop usb.

But yesterday I bough a new Kobo for my girlfriend and her USB connector is very loose. you can wiggle the connector sideways, I was even able to push the connector inside the kobo sideways and back. It took 20 min to be able to have the green light open by placing it carefully and placing the cord in a special way. It even closed my desktop by connecting it due to a power surge. So needless to say she will be exchanging hers.

But with my previous problem I am really thinking that there is a serious build problem with the usb connector not being sturdy enough. Anyone experience this? Any ideas why mine is acting differently
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This is something that has come up before. If you bought it locally at a Chapters-Indigo store, they may do an exchange for you. If not, open a help ticket so you can make arrangements to send it back.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The EXACT same thing happened to me. I was able to charge it by moving the cable a certain way, but a no go for connecting to the Computer. Mine is on it's way to Kobo for a replacement. Chapters will only exchange it if it is less than 14 days since purchase, mine was 16.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For my girlfriend this is not a problem since we bought it yesterday. But my problems are different. I can charge it no problem but can't have it connected to the computer because the screen connect window opens & closes really fast. I have tested it on 2 other computer and am able to connect to it easily.

Tried 4 different port, no change. But yesterday on setting up my GF new Kobo (on the first connect it didn't have a problem (unplugging it after seems to have loosen her connector). So it seems like it just my Kobo and my computer not liking each other.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
horus66
horus66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I was looking at this old tear down thread and can't see the microUSB connecter the way they have things laid out but since the KT easily unscrews and comes apart I am wondering how one could reinforce the port if it is happening so commonly. I'd like to see a picture of how it is mounted so see if some strategic superglue etc could remedy this. For anyone who can manage a screw driver it would be a lot less hassle than sending it back, especially if you would have to spend money shipping it internationally.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1691664

Last edited by horus66; 10-15-2011 at 07:35 PM.
horus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Chapters will only exchange it if it is less than 14 days since purchase, mine was 16.
This is their official policy, but some Chapters' stores seem to do things a bit differently. In Red Deer, they exchanged a Kobo WiFi that was five months old, for which I had no receipt. It might be worth a try.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This is their official policy, but some Chapters' stores seem to do things a bit differently. In Red Deer, they exchanged a Kobo WiFi that was five months old, for which I had no receipt. It might be worth a try.
The girl yesterday at Coles told us the very same thing, but when asked about returning it without a receipt also said that they did that but have very few returns. Might be they "inforce" the rules in a bigger stores where there is more return. Failing that I could try myself returning mine with my GF receipt.

But since the issue cannot be reproduced on other computer, it must be mine that has a problem with my hardware or a program or service that is bothering the USB and can't let it connect. What could cause that? I Got a lot of development software.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

If it isn't actually the hardware issue that Terminator had, then you might be one of the folks that needs to do a hard factory reset. Hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
Hold down the home button and keep it pressed while turning the device on. This should trigger a hard factory reset. This works for some folks--not sure if they could have connected using another machine, or not.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
But since the issue cannot be reproduced on other computer, it must be mine that has a problem with my hardware or a program or service that is bothering the USB and can't let it connect. What could cause that? I Got a lot of development software.
I saw a matching problem once, but after moving the Kobo to relieve strain on the plugs/making them more secure it disappeared. Seems to me to be a connection issue.
(I'm on Linux FYI, but it didn't seems like a SW issue to me.)
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Did you try a USB connection on the back of your computer, Nigol?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Did you try a USB connection on the back of your computer, Nigol?
Yes these are the only one that work, because the front connectors are fried because once I ripped out the from panel by tripping over a wire and had to disconnect them because the computer wouldn't boot because of power problem on the USB.

Just tried my GF new Kobo and after the update (the original firmware didn't ask to connect just connected directly) it does the exact same thing as mine, so it is a computer problem, will try to do a little cleanup, removing android usb drivers and etc. and might open my computer to get a look. But it is the computer that does the problem.

I have been having these kind of problem ever since I connected my GF mother 3G modem dongle to my computer to configure it, might be some drivers that do some problem. Or it might be an hardware problem. My iPhone sometimes crashes when charging.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
IsabeauG
NKTB
IsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo
Found answer to loose cable

I've posted elsewhere about my KT being a lemon, after having this problem of the loose cable (at the KT end of the cable). After several email interchanges with Kobo customer service, I sent my KT back to be repaired (Chapters/Indigo doesn't take back Kobo's; Chapters advises KT owners to send their ereaders back to the address given by Kobo customer service). The repair people connected my Kobo to a PC and a Mac, with no problems - and sent it back to me. I wasn't happy about it, but what are you going to do when the manufacturer says everything is A-OK?

Anyways, when I got it back, I decided to try a couple of things on my own. I purchased a new USB cable, which seems to have helped somewhat. On several occasions (prior to sending it back to Kobo), my computer kicked out my KT, saying that it had been disconnected improperly, rather than being ejected (I hava MacBook Pro). So, I tried this: keep the device on a flat surface and don't move it at all during the time it is connected to my computer. I haven't had a problem since. Maybe this will work for other people with this loose cable problem?
IsabeauG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
My cable was visibly loose. I could could see the the sleeve around move around.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Nigol
Groupie

Well I have finally fixed my problem or perhaps it fixed itself.

I was unable to connect any kobo device to my personal computer. I had a the suspicion that the problem was my power supply. Well I was meaning to change it for a while because it was the oldest part in my computer.

Well it gave out, so I had to change it. And now I don't have the problem anymore. So it was has I though, the Kobo must be very sensitive to voltage.