Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
iomari
Zealot
iomari doesn't litteriomari doesn't litter

Device: galaxy tab
binary vs source

I've been happily running the source(developer) version for well over a year now but I haven't updated since version 0.9.9. Now I want to upgrade but from what I understand my version of Linux is too old for the newest versions of calibre. I'm current still using suse 11.4 and I can not upgrade at this time.

Can I use the binary cailibre without any dependency conflicts? And if so, how do I remove the developer install on my system? Better yet, is there a way to run them side by side? I need a quick fix until I am able to upgrade my Linux.

thanks
iomari
iomari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes you can use the binary install, just install it, it should overwrite the source install and vice versa.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
iomari
Zealot

I downloaded the 9.36 tar.bz2 file, extracted it to /opt then ran calibre_postinstall.
When I ran it, it still shows the old version. I checked the executable and it points to the new version. I'm confused.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want to use the binary use the install script, otherwise you are on your own.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
iomari
Zealot

I did but:

-> sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main()"
Enter the installation directory for calibre [/opt]:
Will download and install calibre-0.9.36-i686.tar.bz2
Downloading calibre-0.9.36-i686.tar.bz2
100% [================================================== ================================================== =================================================]
Downloaded 177 bytes
Checking downloaded file integrity...
The downloaded files' hash does not match. Try the download again later
Advert
Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomari View Post
Downloaded 177 bytes
Hmm..? Should be in excess of 40Meg. No wonder it's failing.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try it again in a little while.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
iomari
Zealot

ok, I've completed the install but it's still coming up showing version 9.9
Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

ls -l `which calibre`
cat `which calibre`
Old 06-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
iomari
Zealot

-> which calibre
/usr/bin/calibre

-> ls -l `which calibre`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jun 22 04:23 /usr/bin/calibre -> /mnt/installs/opt/calibre/calibre
Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Assuming that /mnt/installs/opt/calibre/calibre is where you installed the binary, then you should be running the binary, if you aren't, you're doing something wrong, unfortunately, I dont have mind reading abilities, so I cannot help you further
Old 06-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #12
iomari
Zealot

I've got it working. I had to manually delete /usr/lib/calibre.

Is there a way to change he separator character when using "calibredb catalog" on csv files other than a comma? I had manually changed it in the code when I was using the developer compile, but now I'm using binary so I don't have access to the source.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can run from source when using a binarty build, see the setting up a development environment section of the user manual.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
iomari
Zealot

Thanks, I have developer and binary both working but there's one more thing you can do to help me. A few months back I changed the default "calibredb catalog" csv separator from comma to "||" due to the fact that there are too many commas in the comments field making it difficult to parse.

Now that I have upgraded the binary and reinstalled the old developer, I can't seem to remember which file I edited to change the comma to "||". Can you please remind me which source file defines the comma as the separator for catalog csv export?

Alternatively, is there already a feature in 0.9.36 that can do this that I am unaware of?

thanks for all your help.

iomari
Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm afraid I dont maintain the catalog code, you will need to do some grepping. Altough since the csv catalog has all fields quoted, I dont see why you would be unable to parse because of commas.