Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
dzx
dzx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Updating Screensavers K3

A little help please.....

A ways back, I did the screensaver hack (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...nd_3.x_Kindles) - worked fine. Thanks to those who developed and posted it.

Now, I'm looking to add/change a few of the images and for some reason it's not working. I've tried to follow the instructions in step 6, but honestly I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Anywho, if I try to use the "Update You Kindle" step, it's grayed out and not available.

So, can anyone maybe guide me through IN VERY SIMPLE LANGUAGE what the correct steps are to add new images (the jailbreak and hack are already in place and they did work initially ). I'm NOT a tech-guy, just a reader who likes my own pictures on there rather than the dead authors.

Thanks in advance, d.
dzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
1. Did you jailbreaked your Kindle before apply Screen Saver Hack? If you didn't sure, try to apply again.
2. Did you choose correct an update file (*.bin)? They are 3 kind of K3: k3g, k3w and k3gb.
2.1 If you sure on that, then try to reboot your Kindle before copy the 'update' to your Kindle, and try to update again.
3. You need to reboot every time you update your screen saver images, to tell Screen Saver to re-scan screen saver image folder.

Last edited by tekkasit; 11-12-2010 at 10:56 PM.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
dzx
dzx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
1. Did you jailbreaked your Kindle before apply Screen Saver Hack? If you didn't sure, try to apply again.
2. Did you choose correct an update file (*.bin)? They are 3 kind of K3: k3g, k3w and k3gb.
2.1 If you sure on that, then try to reboot your Kindle before copy the 'update' to your Kindle, and try to update again.
3. You need to reboot every time you update your screen saver images, to tell Screen Saver to re-scan screen saver image folder.

1. yes
2. yes
2.1 hmmmm. If by "reboot" you mean "restart", then no I did not do this. I simply shut it off and then back on again. Lemme try it.
3. yep, that did the trick. In fact I did not have to do the "Update Your Kindle" step - the new images were there after I did the restart.

thanks!, d.
dzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Whenever you change the screensavers you need to do a restart for them to take effect.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Kimble
Kimble began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle. Boox Leaf2
There is a part of the hack instructions that deal with updates.

You make the screensaver pic changes on the kindle, then put a blank file named 'reboot' into the linkss folder on the kindle. When you unplug the usb cable it will do an auto-reboot after ten seconds. The changes can be seen after the reboot.

It's worth having the empty reboot file sitting in the PC linkss folder for when you want to make changes.
Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Kimble:

If you have that REBOOT file in the linkss folder, will the Kindle reboot each and every time you unplug the usb cable or just when you've made some change to the screensaver folder by adding new files? I am not sure I want a reboot every time I disconnect the usb. But, I do have to remember to reboot if I've changed or added new screensaver files.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Kimble:

If you have that REBOOT file in the linkss folder, will the Kindle reboot each and every time you unplug the usb cable or just when you've made some change to the screensaver folder by adding new files? I am not sure I want a reboot every time I disconnect the usb. But, I do have to remember to reboot if I've changed or added new screensaver files.
No, it doesn't reboot every time you eject the Kindle. The "reboot" file only causes the Kindle to reboot when a new screensaver is added. (At least, that has been my experience.)

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Thanks for that. I will have to try it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, it's a one-shot reboot (whether you made changes or not, though, it just cares about the usb unplug event, it won't check if things have been touched) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #10
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Because it look like:
1. You didn't apply jailbreak or jailbreak was failed,
2. You didn't put correct SS hack update on the root directory.

I think you should try it again, but this time just reboot once, copy SS Hack update file on your Kindle and try to 'update' again.

Good luck.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
Kimble
Kimble began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle. Boox Leaf2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
No, it doesn't reboot every time you eject the Kindle. The "reboot" file only causes the Kindle to reboot when a new screensaver is added. (At least, that has been my experience.)

Holly
And when it reboots it also deletes the reboot file. So when you make further changes you need to copy the reboot file into the kindle again.
Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote