Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #15856
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Panther by Nelson Demille. It was good although not near as compelling as his earlier books. He has replaced his talent for setting very suspenseful scenes with John Corey's bland and annoying sarcasm. The book was 500 plus pages long but cut out the boring sarcasm and it would have been a lot faster read.

And he makes a geographic error early on placing Dover Air Force Base in Maryland when it, in fact, is in Delaware. Which is probably why it is called Dover and not Baltimore Air Force Base.

Anyway, good read with a great ending.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #15857
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Just finished The Panther by Nelson Demille. It was good although not near as compelling as his earlier books. He has replaced his talent for setting very suspenseful scenes with John Corey's bland and annoying sarcasm. The book was 500 plus pages long but cut out the boring sarcasm and it would have been a lot faster read.

And he makes a geographic error early on placing Dover Air Force Base in Maryland when it, in fact, is in Delaware. Which is probably why it is called Dover and not Baltimore Air Force Base.

Anyway, good read with a great ending.
I was born at Dover AFB. I always thought I was born in Deleware.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #15858
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm about 10% into Ready Player One and really enjoying it. It's odd how distant and "historical" the 80's seem nowadays.
I've read Ready Player One. I found it very good. I loved all the eighties references.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #15859
blackcat
Connoisseur
blackcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD, Ipad 4
Just finished The Mote in god's eye - not as good as I thought it was going to be, not much of a story.....

Just started The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke
blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #15860
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read Ready Player One. I found it very good. I loved all the eighties references.
I got a BIG kick out of the reference to Dungeons Of Daggorath. I spent many an hour on that game.

Also, I finished the book, and while the author didn't end up where I was expecting, I did enjoy it.

Spoiler:
I really thought Wade might destroy OASIS at the very end in an attempt to save humanity. The world dieing of neglect while everyone is jacked into the far preferable simulated reality is a strong theme in the book.

Last edited by carld; 03-10-2013 at 06:04 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #15861
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading
Starborne by Robert Silverberg. This month's Phoenix Pick freebie.
Hmm... Not so good. I wasn't fond of the literary style of the story-telling, and we had at least three impossible things. A rather weak ending, too.

Next up: The Harriers, Book One: War and Honor. A series created by Gordon R Dickinson, with stories by various authors. Originally published in 1991, I bought it in the March 2013 Baen Monthly bundle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #15862
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "Sporting Chance", the 2nd book in the "Heris Serrano" series by Elizabeth Moon. This follows directly on from the first book, "Hunting Party", and continues my project to read or re-read my old Baen Webscriptions purchases. A rollicking good story. Heris's employer, Lady Cecilia, has been put into a coma by her enemies, and Heris must try to find a cure for her illness, while at the same time trying to carry out a secret mission for the King which makes her and her ship outlaws in the eyes of the world. A complex and enjoyable plot - I'm looking forward to the next instalment, which is "Winning Colours".

Another detective story next, although I've not yet decided which one.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-10-2013 at 08:58 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #15863
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I was born at Dover AFB. I always thought I was born in Deleware.
Apache
Got your start in G.I. diapers huh Apache.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #15864
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Next up: Paaz by Myrthe van der Meer
This was again a good read. It's about a girl who ends up at the Paaz, a phychiatric hospital. Her struggle with phychiatrists, medication, the other patients and life in general provide for humorous and emotional moments.
Next up: Spying in high heels by Gemma Halliday.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #15865
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Arms of Nemesis by Steven Saylor. This story takes place 8 years after his first title during Spartacus' slave war. I enjoyed the well-researched Ancient Roman references and details; Marcus Crassus, painting, cuisine, resort villas, galley slaves, funeral customs and general Roman laws. The mystery part was weak but better than his previous book. Word skill and dialogue were improved also. Rate C- [3 stars].

Next will be The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz.

Last edited by Fbone; 03-10-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #15866
Katekane
Katekane began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Radar
I'm reading The Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan and Cry,my beloved country - Alan Paton
Katekane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #15867
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carey Rockwell & Chris Wooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Restless In The Grave was really good and I also read the 2nd novel in Tom Corbett Omnibus, Danger in Deep Space by Carey Rockwell which was a quite nostalgic and very enjoyable read.

Now on to the 7th Mercy Thompson novel, Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs. I'm also reading the 13th Nancy Drew Mystery, The Mystery of the Ivory Charm.
Frost Burned was quite good and was a really enjoyable read, as was The Mystery of the Ivory Charm.

Now onto the 3rd selection in the Tom Corbett Omnibus, On the Trail of the Space Pirates by Carey Rockwell and the 2nd of the Steampunk series, Tales of the Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding, The Black Lung Captain.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-11-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #15868
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am currently reading a freebie from Amazon and Stackpole Books.
On the Canal:The Marines of L-3-5 on Guadicanal 1942.
It is a first person account and is a good read. Unfortunately it has so many OCR errors that should have been fixed.
An Example, 21 errors on page 48.
fir its = for us
it = a
it = a
japanCSC = japanese
it = a
ofl" = off
blinker = bunker
hint = him
I Ic = He
111) = up
(:anal = Canal
]late = hate
it = a
front = from
it = a
ill = in
Ave = we
fin-sure = for sure
ill = in
its = us
it = a
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #15869
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's shocking. I'd ask for my money back!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #15870
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Amazon should PAY YOU to read this, and I would suggest that you charge high rates. You should also make an example of the author and the publisher (whoever else is complicit) in this. Make it a public embarrassment.

Inexcusable.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote