Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
SonyFan
Words Are Truth!
SonyFan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
PRS-700 is Tops!

Hello,

Just thought I'd put in a good word for my PRS-700. I'm very pleased with it, and, as I tend to read in bed, the whole point of it having a built in light, is the most necessary part of the whole Reader. Here in England, we never got the PRS-700, so mine was imported via B + H, in New York - but we do have the 500, and 505 - Yes, the reading experience is slightly clearer on 505, (and presumably on 600), but it is perfectly legible, and usable on mine. I don't feel an improvement has been made on the latest Readers, by removing the light. I really love mine, and think Sony got it spot on with this (considering the technology that is currently available) -

As far as software goes, although the latest Sony software seems to be a big improvement, I must say that Calibre is an extraordinary piece of work, and perfectly simple in use.

And thanks to the MobileRead team - What backup!

Just my 2p.'s worth!!

A very satisfied, PRS-700 User,

Regards,
SonyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Hey SonyFan! I agree I really like my 700. And your correct, at least on the hardware side, I see the 600 as a step back. But for those who do not need a lighting solution, it looks to be a great reader. I would love to have the dictionary support, and freehand annotation ability, but perhaps we can hope for a firmware update for the 700. Well, we can dream anyway.

I am very interested in the Daily edition though (2121). I am hoping there will be a good option for lighting on that model! (yeah, I know, "get a lamp, Donnageddon!")
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I must chime in as well...
I had purchased the 505, but returned it in favor of the 700. I read quite a bit in dim/dark conditions, so the lighting is very important to me & I really abhor the idea of needing to have a supply of batteries, or recharging nicads. I really have no problem with the readability.
And as far as the dictionary & annotation...I'm not a student, nor do I read anything other than for pleasure. So those features don't really seem important to me either.
Finally, I'm a real 'Cheap Charlie', and although the idea of being able to wirelessly download books is appealing, there is just so much available free that the extra $ for the new reader doesn't seem worth it, considering I would probably never use that feature.

So, there's my biased opinion, and my unconditional !!!!

Last edited by PennyPie; 09-02-2009 at 03:49 PM.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Hey SonyFan! I agree I really like my 700. And your correct, at least on the hardware side, I see the 600 as a step back. But for those who do not need a lighting solution, it looks to be a great reader. I would love to have the dictionary support, and freehand annotation ability, but perhaps we can hope for a firmware update for the 700. Well, we can dream anyway.

I am very interested in the Daily edition though (2121). I am hoping there will be a good option for lighting on that model! (yeah, I know, "get a lamp, Donnageddon!")
While I am sure there are many PRS-700 fans out there, I wouldn't necessarily call the PRS-600 a downgrade (unless you are going by the number on the name of the device of course ) Unfortunately my experience with it bugged me BIGTIME in 2 ways...the readability of the screen, both fixed on the PRS-600. I guess the answer was the layer for the light was a dealbreaker for many. But don't get me wrong.....the PRS-700 got Sony pointed in the right direction, it is a solid device, they just needed to tweak a few things to get it better suited for those that had a hard time with it.

Definitely happy you guys are happy....the way I look at it, we are all in this together. The more success Sony has with ALL of these Readers, the better the devices, software, and content will be for us all
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
While I am sure there are many PRS-700 fans out there, I wouldn't necessarily call the PRS-600 a downgrade (unless you are going by the number on the name of the device of course )
Definitely happy you guys are happy....the way I look at it, we are all in this together. The more success Sony has with ALL of these Readers, the better the devices, software, and content will be for us all
I meant the 600 was a "step back" for hardware, only in that it does not include the side-lighting. But because people may differ on their needs, and wants, I would never consider it a "downgrade". And it does contain improvements on the software side.

"The more success Sony has with ALL of these Readers, the better the devices, software, and content will be for us all"
I agree completely!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
the 700 is so good its discontinued
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Only the good die young.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
I lurve my PRS700, its at RMA right now though For some reason a really long piece of hair got into the reader screen o.O?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Only the good die young.
LMAO!!! Good answer!

BTW, I love all of my readers and also believe that the 600 is a downgrade hardware wise. I do almost all of my reading w/ the reading light which removes any glare and makes the contrast crisp. If you don't use the reading light, it's not the best reader for you but if you do a lot of reading in dim lighting, it's a great solution. The only thing about the lights that I have noticed is it's better to read in landscape mode because of how the lighting is set up on the screen. Thankfully, I prefer reading in landscape mode on both of my readers and prob. as well on the 600 when it arrives.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
As is the 505 and Kindle 1.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
LMAO!!! Good answer!

BTW, I love all of my readers and also believe that the 600 is a downgrade hardware wise. I do almost all of my reading w/ the reading light which removes any glare and makes the contrast crisp. If you don't use the reading light, it's not the best reader for you but if you do a lot of reading in dim lighting, it's a great solution. The only thing about the lights that I have noticed is it's better to read in landscape mode because of how the lighting is set up on the screen. Thankfully, I prefer reading in landscape mode on both of my readers and prob. as well on the 600 when it arrives.

I find that the little flexible LED light works great, it lights the entire screen up well, and the nice thing about it is if I don't need it I could put it away....another nice thing is it isn't an entire layer on my screen that washes out the text I jest
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I find that the little flexible LED light works great, it lights the entire screen up well, and the nice thing about it is if I don't need it I could put it away....another nice thing is it isn't an entire layer on my screen that washes out the text I jest
Aaaaaah.... you so funny! Just for that I'm gonna have to make you jealous and tell you that my 600 shipped out today so I'll have both, or all 3 readers!! The crisp one, the fancy one and the one many might say is "just right."
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
azkwb
azkwb began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 & PRS-300 Rose
the built in light is important to me too

here's another plea to sony to keep the built in light on future models (in case anything ever happens to our (hubby and I share) 700 or if I want my own, I need a good lighting solution.
The new cover with a light for the 600 just looks like a flimsy solution to me. In some ways I understand their need for changing it, but I love the lighting on the 700, it's completely unobtrusive and I don't mind charging daily or reading in bed with it plugged in while the light is on. I know the other models are crisper, my mom has the 550 and always uses a good reading light in bed but I find myself in low light situations often and the ease of reading with the built in light whenever is fantastic. I will check out the new cover with light attached if I see one in a store, and I may change my mind about it if it impresses me in person, but from the pictures it looks like something that could easilly snap off or get bent (we're talking about reading in bed here) and I don't like worrying about attached lights falling off or not staying in place, etc. and besides that who wants to be changing, charging or buying a bunch of AAA batteries.
Even another wedge with lights would be a better solution IMO because it is rechargable and doesn't stick up in the air and fold down. I could just see one of our two cats jumping on or rubbing on the light. Right now they want to lay on the 700 while hubby is reading so they will get attention at the same time but the worst that happens is they change the page.
I'm all for a sharper screen although I find the screen of the 700 fine with a little adjustment here in there in the direction I sit or angle but I would think lights could be built into a cover on the side without needing an extra layer of whatever it is they loses resolution.
Come on Sony guys, you can do better with a lighted cover solution!
azkwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
DaHarder
DaHarder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and Sony PRS-700
Both me and the spouse have PRS-700s, though there are also a few other readers sitting around, including a PRS-500 and PRS-505, but...

I tend to always reach for my PRS-700 when heading out, or traveling.

It's by far my favorite, as I love the touch-screen and faster performance it affords.

Now Bring On The Daily Reader!
DaHarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
LMAO!!! Good answer!

SolRaven, I have to agree with you. I have the same ones you have and a jetbook. Each of them has there own qualities. And, though I may prefer one over the rest, I could not part with any of them and apprciate the qualities each offers.

Last edited by Journier; 09-03-2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Made correction
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote