Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
smil332
smil332 began at the beginning.

Never thought such a large community of futuristic readers existed.

Hello,

I am Sam. Semi-Retired. I travel in extended spurts.

Over the years I've downloaded several ebooks and made do with reading them on my laptop during travel.

I've always been vaguely aware that there was a better, less cumbersome method to satisfy my reading pleasure. I'm glad I've stumbled over this forum.

It seems to be the perfect place to get suggestions/reviews to assist with a future mobile reader purchase.

I have dabbled and been satisfied with audio books and the services of www.audiofrombooks.com. Good selection, service etc.

But, that does not help me with my ebooks. I still need a convenient reader.

I will be searching and reviewing this forum for ideas.

However, if anyone feels particularly moved by the apparatus they use, please drop a post to this thread. Enthusiasm usually indicates a good product.

Thanks,
Sam
smil332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome Sam! Glad you found us.

The new e-ink devices are causing a big stir and lots of excitement because the displays are so nice. They are a little pricy ($350 for the Sony Reader I have), and you won't get backlighting, but you will get a really awesome and crisp screen that looks almost like print, and is easy on the eyes.

PDA's are another great option. I think the higher 320x320 screen resolution of most Palm devices makes a huge difference, but there are a lot of happy Windows Mobile pda and smartphone users that are happy reading on their device, and you could always get a Dell x51v with VGA display. I love using my Treo because it has a backlight and it's always with me. It's also easier on my eyes than paper books, probably because of the control of font sizes.

Some of the older style LCD readers are also available and still popular. They are less expensive and easy to use. I haven't used those myself, so can't really speak for them.

You can also find a lot more info on various devices in the forums and the wiki -- https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Main_Page. Good luck in your hunt!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I've done moderate amounts of reading on my old PDA, then again on my Smartphone--neither of which were adequate for replacing good old paper books, but did an OK job while traveling, etc.

I can see my new Sony Reader taking the role as my primary means of consuming books, with paper being reserved for those special titles (although, ideally, I'd like an ebook copy for those titles as well). There is room for improvement, but is vastly superior to the aforementioned alternatives.

On that note, I'll extend my welcome to Sam as well (although, I am also rather new). I'm sure you will find tons of information here, I know I have!
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You say you are retired, if you have declining eyes like mine, eink is the only way!
The two clear choices are the Sony, if you live in the States, and the Iliad if you have a big European wallet!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
smil332
smil332 began at the beginning.

Appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Thanks from me to you for your input! Bob Russell, L1Wulf and yvanleterrible.

Yes, A big consideration will be easy visibility-readability.

I'll roll through these posts some more - take action later.

Appreciate you all.
smil332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Welcome aboard Sam!

Oh, not to forget that SHARP zaurus is also a good option ... especially since it has a pretty strong community of users and developers for support!

There is also the Nokia 770 which has its own merits especially since its a product that is currently supported and developed by Nokia.

These two products have TFT LCDs instead of eink, but besides readability issues in direct sunlight, they are just fine, though eink readers win hands down in the battery life department!
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote