Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-19-2016, 02:29 AM   #1
Caliberread
Caliberread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Save book to Disc problem

Hi to all,

I've installed Calibre (v2.72, Windows 10, 64-bit) for the first time and want to import my ebook collection to it. In Settings, Import/Export, Saving Books to Disc, I only checked the following settings: 'Update metadata in saved copies', 'Show files in file browser after saving to disc' and 'Convert non-English characters to English equivalents'. All other checkmark-settings on this page are not checked and other settings were left as installed.
Still: after importing the books from one folder they are all copied in three parts: a seperate cover in jpg, the epub-file and the metadata.opf file. I only want to have the epub-file being imported in Calibre.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
Caliberread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By definition a book folder in calibre will usually have a cover.jpg file, always have a metadata.opf file, and usually have at least one 'format' file e.g. EPUB, PDF, MOBI etc.

Have you read this ==>> Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-19-2016 at 06:31 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And the "Saving Books to Disc" preferences are about exporting the books out of the library. If you want to affect the import process, look at the "Adding books" preferences.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
Caliberread
Caliberread began at the beginning.

Thanks

Both answers clarifies things. For the record: I don't want to change the folder structure of Calibre. I just didn't understand the splitting in 3 files (cover, opf and epub). There is a lot to learn for a newbie. Thanks you both.

Last edited by Caliberread; 11-26-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Caliberread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliberread View Post
Both answers clarifies things. For the record: I don't want to change the folder structure of Calibre. I just didn't understand the splitting in 3 files (cover, opf and epub). There is a lot to learn for a newbie. Thanks you both.
Just in case it was not obvious, then the cover.jpg and metadata.opf files are typically duplicates of what is in the book format file (as long as the format in question supports this).

The cover.jpg is stored separately for use both by the Calibre GUI and for formats that do not support embedded covers.

The metadata.opf is a duplicate of the information stored in the `Calibre database for the book. It can be used if the database ever gets corrupted to automatically rebuild its contents.

The other point is that if you ever change the cover or metadata after loading the book into Calibre the information embedded in eBook format files is not updated until you take one of a number of specific actions (convert/export (save to disk)/polish) on the book.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import books, save cover seperately, save to disc options, seperate opf file