Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by diefalkter View Post
Well, in my opinion it's a stretch to get anxious that Mobileread would get shut down just because people occasionally posted links to DRM removal tools here...
I'm guessing it's not about the site getting shut down, but rather to avoid any potential administrative hassles involving legal notices, even if they have no merit. Fighting legal battles, even just responding to letters, takes time and effort that a lot of web site owners don't care to invest.

I recall back in the days when DeCSS was new, there were legal questions surrounding the distinction between linking directly to a site hosting a tool, versus comments without a direct link. This sounds similar to the site policy "...while DRM removal may be discussed in the abstract, providing detailed how-to instructions, uploading of DRM-removal tools, or linking to sites where these tools or detailed instructions are provided is forbidden at MobileRead"
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #32
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I really can't blame many people for not reading many of the EULAs, terms of service, etc. that they are presented with. Check out the 56 pages of the iTunes agreement which, in my opinion, is a guaranteed cure for insomnia.

OTOH, you have some humourous clauses in some agreements -- check out Gamestation and their immortal soul clause or one website where part of the EULA was that you agreed on demand and at your expense to send your first born child to an address designated by the website unless you opted out by clicking a check box. Or the iTunes weaponization clause "including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons." which, if nothing else is lousy English.

Then there was the ASUS hardware warranty:

There is damage caused by natural disaster, intentional or unintentional misuse, acts of war, space invasions, abuse, neglect, improper maintenance, or use under abnormal conditions.

Makes you wonder how many of their customers had hardware damaged by alien attacks.

Regards,
David
The purpose of those provisions is to prove that the company's managers and even their lawyers have not bothered to read the EULA that they demand of their customers. A neat joke, that.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #33
novellibre
novellibre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I don't think they need to allow direct links and expose themselves more. The way things are now, the good people here can still help out anyone who needs it and I'n grateful for that.
novellibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #34
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Indeed, if someone were to search for "apprentice alf", they might learn a thing or two
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Obok 2.01 doesn't seem to work anymore.
Guess Kobo made some changes into the database.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #36
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
What is "Obok"? Just curious.

Last edited by 49Kat; 11-21-2013 at 01:27 PM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I had a similar issue that as resolved after I had Kobo Desktop resync some material from my account
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #38
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
What is "Obok"? Just curious.
you may want to google it together with apprentice alf.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #39
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none

Thanks guys for the "embedded" hints in this thread. I had ignored the apprentice tools because he is not clear enough about the inclusion of a tool quite useful on official kepubs. (That inclusion is just explained in the comments!!!)

So I suppose I will have to try it. Just because I love playing...

I have never used the apprentice's tools, because quite long ago I found another set (look for epubee) which, at least in my case, has always worked like a charm with my drm epubs and pdfs. And of course I've never updated my PC ADE to version 2.x (am I on 1.8.something?) as I only use that program to download my hated DRMed brand new adquired books... If something works, do not try to fix it.

So I finish with a great . Never go to bed without having learnt something new (Spanish idiom).
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #40
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I had a similar issue that as resolved after I had Kobo Desktop resync some material from my account
Thanks Peter, removing the account info from the Kobo Desktop and adding it again did the trick.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #41
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
so just to confirm, obok still does the job!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I ran into a similar issue when I switched VPN clients. A resync cleared up the issue for me as well.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #43
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
I have never used the apprentice's tools, because quite long ago I found another set (look for epubee) which, at least in my case, has always worked like a charm with my drm epubs and pdfs. And of course I've never updated my PC ADE to version 2.x (am I on 1.8.something?) as I only use that program to download my hated DRMed brand new adquired books... If something works, do not try to fix it.
Epubee... Those are the people who take Alf's (free) tools, put their own logo on it, and then charge you for doing so!!!

Okay, if you've already paid for their pro version, no harm done in continuing to use it, but in any event, the best way to always get the latest version of the deDRM would be to get it from the people who created it!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #44
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Epubee... Those are the people who take Alf's (free) tools, put their own logo on it, and then charge you for doing so!!!

Okay, if you've already paid for their pro version, no harm done in continuing to use it, but in any event, the best way to always get the latest version of the deDRM would be to get it from the people who created it!
I swear that when I downloaded it, (quite long ago, when I bought my Sony), it was free software. I didn't pay anything at all. But I don't actually know if things have changed since then.

I'd never post anything about a tool which costed a single cent.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
I swear that when I downloaded it, (quite long ago, when I bought my Sony), it was free software. I didn't pay anything at all. But I don't actually know if things have changed since then.

I'd never post anything about a tool which costed a single cent.
Last time I looked, the epubee web page did not show a cost for the basic version for Windows but there was a donation link. Still profiting from another person's work. For Mac users, they had a "Pro" version. I wasn't ready to spend $40 to find out where that had been "borrowed" from.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 11-24-2013 at 04:09 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote