Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #46
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
More of a luxury/wish-list item for me, though. It would be appreciated but certainly not expected.
Ditto. But hey, they do ask for feedback in this thread, although it should maybe have comer earlier
Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #47
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Man Eating Duck - nope, no more squirrels left in the tree on that one

Lets just say that finding agreement on how Find/Replace should work is a contentious topic . I know exactly the use case you mean - for instance you put together a "sentence joining" regex, hit the replace button, get taken to the next occurrence on some other tab in Sigil, and want to know whether that last one worked or not if you can find it again. That said, the other 99% of the time I am perfectly happy being taken to the next occurrence...

The only thing I can suggest for now is restrict yourself to the current file (via dropdown or ctrl+click on Replace button) so at least you are on the same tab. Then use undo/redo to get taken back to where that replace occurred and see the effect.

There is no universal standard on Find button layouts. Every single app does them a different way. And there is resistance to putting more buttons on the Sigil one (as they take up a lot of space and add visual complexity). Hence why we have things like ctrl+clicks, and regex options in the Search menu. There is a few ways that an option "could" be supported (without needing a button) but it needs some discussion as to the if/where/how.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #48
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The bulk renumber feature picked up a quirk.
the Number portion in the dialog is now being incremented. It used to remain as set (a Start value: eg Ch01)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #49
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Man Eating Duck - nope, no more squirrels left in the tree on that one

Lets just say that finding agreement on how Find/Replace should work is a contentious topic . I know exactly the use case you mean - for instance you put together a "sentence joining" regex, hit the replace button, get taken to the next occurrence on some other tab in Sigil, and want to know whether that last one worked or not if you can find it again. That said, the other 99% of the time I am perfectly happy being taken to the next occurrence...

The only thing I can suggest for now is restrict yourself to the current file (via dropdown or ctrl+click on Replace button) so at least you are on the same tab. Then use undo/redo to get taken back to where that replace occurred and see the effect.

There is no universal standard on Find button layouts. Every single app does them a different way. And there is resistance to putting more buttons on the Sigil one (as they take up a lot of space and add visual complexity). Hence why we have things like ctrl+clicks, and regex options in the Search menu. There is a few ways that an option "could" be supported (without needing a button) but it needs some discussion as to the if/where/how.
This makes sense, and of course the undo/redo trick is a workaround. It's no big deal for me.

On a side note I'll join the choir here and proclaim that the beta is a joy to use, thanks again
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I do enjoy that functionality in the S&R engines of text editors that have it: Replace current/Replace Current & Find Next/Replace All. It's handy to immediately see the results of the replace a few times before committing to either of the other options.

More of a luxury/wish-list item for me, though. It would be appreciated but certainly not expected.

Way too many OMG I forgot the...
A simple replace would be cool ( A tick box to enable the '/Next' function? )
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #51
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Haha, we are discussing some possibilities. We may have found another squirrel.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #52
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
After playing around with the new two betas for the last few days I have to say I really really love it.
Especially the Clip manager and the Saved Searches.

I just wonder if it were possible to add shortcuts to some of the self defined ones, that would be great.

Do I see it right that when I go to the Saved Searches and mark a few of them at ones and then click on "apply" that all of them will be carried out one after the other? If yes, in which order?

I would like to see one more tiny improvement, although it might be that it is a) too dangerous and b) just important to me, but I have some points where I have to repeat a search and replace a few times. I don't mean just "replace all", but that those replace_alls create new instances of the same search pattern. I would like to see an option like "repeat until none found". Not sure if anyone else would like it, and like I said, this might be dangerous if you do something like search for "a" and replace it with "a" and create an infinite loop that way. Maybe "repeat until none found but at most x times"...
Both clips and saved searches have shortcuts

For clips, right click in Code View and you will see your hierarchy of entries to pick from and insert. Or leave the Clip Manager open to insert as needed (which works in the Find&Replace boxes as well - as does Special characters and Clipboard History).

For saved searches, right click on the Find or Replace text boxes and you'll see all your searches that you can select from to load the F&R boxes.

For both of them you can also use the keyboard shortcut to open them, type the first few letters of your entry and then hit return to use it - great if you don't want to hunt for something (you can always give unique starting letters and descriptive text for a name, e.g. "a1 Example Span", "a2 Note div")

And for groups - yep, you can put entries in groups to make them easier to manage. You can select the group name as kiwidude said or multi-select entries and run Replace All and they'll be run one after the other in order.

For a Replace All until done - we'll consider, but it might not make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The bulk renumber feature picked up a quirk.
the Number portion in the dialog is now being incremented. It used to remain as set (a Start value: eg Ch01)
Not a quirk - an intended feature. If you rename some files and then want to rename more, it picks up where you left off. For new books you can just reset it to the starting number. Easier to remember 1 then to look up the highest number.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #53
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@elchamaco - see this post by meme for an alternative.
Thx for the link, i look it but i think is not very usefull that way. It's fastest to change views from Edit to preview than edit the file out.

Well i guess i'll be using sigil 0.4.2, 0.5.3 crashed very frequently.

Perhaps in the future the preview+edit will come back.

Thx.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchamaco View Post
Thx for the link, i look it but i think is not very usefull that way. It's fastest to change views from Edit to preview than edit the file out.

Well i guess i'll be using sigil 0.4.2, 0.5.3 crashed very frequently.

Perhaps in the future the preview+edit will come back.
I think that ship has sailed. Everybody's gotta do what they gotta do, but... spilt milk and all that.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #55
kiwidude

@elchamaco - I admit to being biased, I never used Split View by choice and always hated it. I hated the reduced screen real estate for editing. I hated that it never worked properly, that too often it would for instance jump the cursor right to the bottom of the document. What point is there in a synchronised view if it doesn't actually synchronise correctly? Clicking into the other split to get it to synchronise would cause the underlying content to be saved, which reformatted it, so you lost your exact place in both views jumping around, significantly so if it was a large paragraph you were editing. And you had all the well formed stuff interfering from losing focus as well. It was clunky and awful imo. It wasn't me that removed it btw, but I fully support the decision that was made to do so.

So what exactly is the attraction to Split View for you? Is it to see the effect of changes to Book View as you typed them in Code View? Or was it the other way around, of seeing what was generated in Code View by making changes in Book View? Which of those was the "critical I must have it" thing that attracted you to Split View? We have a few ideas we are kicking around that may one day appear in a future release, I am just curious whether they would gel with what feature of Sigil you *actually* used Split View for.

In 0.5.9xx you can double click on the tab heading or hit F2 to quickly flick between CV/BV, and caret positioning will consistently work to show the matching place in the document.

I agree Sigil 0.5.3 has some serious issues, but Sigil 0.4.2 has some equally serious ones - it's propensity to lose content when merging being the most critical I suffered from (hard to spot unless you double check your merged document afterwards every time). That one alone became a showstopper for me - nothing worse than finding chapter nine is the next one available after chapter one when you go to read that book 3 months later.

As others have posted, the enhancements and stability in 0.5.905 or later allow editing to be done in a fraction of the time it used to take without the same problems of losing content, but of course you are free to use whichever version you choose
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #56
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
One thing I have noticed and it has probably been there all along is in the book view display. If the size is 100% or below the font face is normal. Above, it is bold.

Is there a reason for this? It has made me scratch my head a few times, since I have been reducing the font size slightly for footnotes or quotes to set them off.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #57
kiwidude

@mrmikel - that is just how webkit scales the fonts. It isn't genuinely bold, if you make text bold you will see it does appear darker alongsite it (at least it does for me). Probably depends on your font choice as well. Certainly not anything we can control.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #58
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Webkit, you can't live with it and you can't live without it.

BTW, finding clip feature very useful and addressing one of my needs for repetitively pasting things like </p> when I change the code. No need for a macro to do that and not going to run out of macro keys either when I have the clip feature.

Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #59
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Try Ctrl+. (Insert->Closing Tag) to close an opened tag in Code View.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #60
mrmikel
Color me gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Try Ctrl+. (Insert->Closing Tag) to close an opened tag in Code View.
Between clip and close tag, it saves me a minute each time and I have a lot of them to do. It lets me style my captions in no time at all.

Thanks for pointing it out!
Closed Thread