Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
jdm001
Connoisseur
jdm001 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Dualbook
Question ReInstalling Ermine -- Wont start update.zip (just loads normally)

As I put in the title, Im ReInstalling Ermine but my PE wont start update.zip (just loads normally).

I have Ermine installed but ran into an issue with some type of unmounted SD card issue (as posted in my other thread), and since nobody else has run into it, im just going to make afresh start.

Im going with golden allmine, and, like a windows reinstall, i was trying to install over tge previous version. Is that my issue?

I have a 1/2 gig (500 mb) usb drive with the golden allmine update.zip, and the gapps zip file both in root directory. I also have a folder for Titanium Backup files (will that affect install?), and a folder called LOST.DIR an empty directory that seems to auto install on all mounted sd and usb cards/drives.

I boot while holding the tablet side menu top button, and rotate third buttons held. I hold for ten seconds, twenty, and i even try holding the whole boot process... every time its the same.

It gets to the third dot, the screen saver on the reader changes 2 or 3 times, it reboots (while im still holding both buttons) and finally boots normally. Whole process is about 90 seconds only for both boots.

Do I need to go to dingo first? I bought this PE with Ermine already installed, so its all a bit new to me.

Many Thanks!

JdM
jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm001 View Post
As I put in the title, Im ReInstalling Ermine but my PE wont start update.zip (just loads normally).

I have a 1/2 gig (500 mb) usb drive with the golden allmine update.zip, and the gapps zip file both in root directory. I also have a folder for Titanium Backup files (will that affect install?), and a folder called LOST.DIR an empty directory that seems to auto install on all mounted sd and usb cards/drives.
You are putting these files on a USB or SD card and inserting into the PE, correct?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
jdm001
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
You are putting these files on a USB or SD card and inserting into the PE, correct?
Yes, and an update: I tried using an 8gb microsd (no USB in) to same affect.

I tried a 1gb USB drive (in case the 500mb one I had was too small for some reason), same thing.

I gave up and reverted to Dingo and put that on the 1gb USB stick, worked perfect (I got the 20 min screen, paper clip, 2nd go around finish-up install to work without issue).

Upon loading, I did calibration on ereader and then unmourned the USB and powered off. I put it into my computer, formatted to FAT, and I put the non gapps version of ermine on the stick.

Same thing, it keeps rebooting and then going to factory Dingo version each time.

So I tried:

1gb USB drive
500mb USB drive
8gb microSD card

Two versions of Ermine

WTH is it not getting to the Update Software splash screen for me???

I'm using pocket edge, I used the link on the page that had the golden allmine and golden allmine+gapps versions for both EE and PE (I got the right version.

Again, any help greatly appreciated!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
lyemi123
lyemi123 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I am also currently experiencing the same issue. I had Allmine installed on my PE and was having issues with google apps so I wanted to try reinstalling starting from Dingo. The downgrade to Dingo worked fine but when I try to install any version of Ermine or Allmine the device just boots up normally. I had my PE on the latest version of Dingo before installing Ermine and Allmine the first time around if that makes any difference.

Last edited by lyemi123; 03-05-2012 at 08:59 PM.
lyemi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
jdm001
Connoisseur

I got it! The directions on that download site say "download the gapps file here" and it had a long filename.

After reading 11 pages of posts, i found it in case anyone else runs into it. You have to rename BOTH files.

So, you download the allmine file, extract that, and name it "update.zip"and put it on a FAT (not FAT32) formatted 1 gig drive. Then you rename the long gapps file and just shorten it to "gapps.zip"

Some tips I compiled:

Use a 1gb usb or sdb my 500mb didnt seem to work

Some people renamed the FIRST zip file without extracting and renaming the zip file INSIDE the first file.

Others not familiar with hidden file extensions sometimes accidentally named it "update.zip.zip" with the second .zip hidden due to windows.

Mine only updated when i had power plugged in, since i fixed the gapps file name, it might be a coincidence but it might help.

Last, someone said if you hold it on your lap, the buttons might not be depressed all the way. I put it flat on a table, and held both, THEN I hit power, and I held both until i got the updating screen.

Maybe you can try only renamng gapps file and see if the rest matters.

Let me know if it works for you.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Isn't it wonderful what reading all the instructions will let you do
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
jdm001
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Isn't it wonderful what reading all the instructions will let you do
Not really, i think the instructions need to be updated.... that's pretty hard to see that you need to change BOTH filenames. Here's what i'm referring to:

From Here: http://edge.ympsa.com/
The instructions: http://www.edge.ympsa.com/PE-GA-README.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by excerpt
Instructions:
1) Setup the installation files by doing the following:
1a)Rename the file PE-GA-update.zip to update.zip and place it into a MicroSD or USB stick. (Note: I have tested the MicroSD installation. It should work from USB, but I haven't tested it.)
1b)Download the gapps.zip file from this location: http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-hd...114-signed.zip and move it to the MicroSD or USB stick.

2) Insert medium into Pocket Edge while it is off.
Personally, I think 1b should add the following:

Download the gapps.zip file named gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip, RENAME IT gapps.zip, and place it onto a MicroSD or USB stick.

It goes as far as to say rename the PE-GA-update.zip to update.zip; but it never says the same. I think it's a bit confusing to be honest.

And, by no means, am I saying anyone wasn't helpful, or complaining about the person who hosted the large files on his site for everyone. Very grateful for the whole community; i'm just saying i think it would help other future users if that was added into the instructions.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Fixed thanks

To be honest I didn't really know anyone was using that website any more but now that I know it is being used it should at least be accurate, huh?

Last edited by MasterTec; 03-06-2012 at 12:11 PM.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
lyemi123

Quote:
I got it! The directions on that download site say "download the gapps file here" and it had a long filename.

After reading 11 pages of posts, i found it in case anyone else runs into it. You have to rename BOTH files.

So, you download the allmine file, extract that, and name it "update.zip"and put it on a FAT (not FAT32) formatted 1 gig drive. Then you rename the long gapps file and just shorten it to "gapps.zip"

Some tips I compiled:

Use a 1gb usb or sdb my 500mb didnt seem to work

Some people renamed the FIRST zip file without extracting and renaming the zip file INSIDE the first file.

Others not familiar with hidden file extensions sometimes accidentally named it "update.zip.zip" with the second .zip hidden due to windows.

Mine only updated when i had power plugged in, since i fixed the gapps file name, it might be a coincidence but it might help.

Last, someone said if you hold it on your lap, the buttons might not be depressed all the way. I put it flat on a table, and held both, THEN I hit power, and I held both until i got the updating screen.

Maybe you can try only renamng gapps file and see if the rest matters.

Let me know if it works for you.

I've done all the above and was still unable to update my device to allmine (even though I had been able to update it to allmine previously). I made sure to unzip and rename the necessary files as instructed and double checked to make sure nothing was ".zip.zip" (I have my PC set to show file extensions, so this is not a problem for me). Since I'm at school right now, I don't have any access to any other flash drives (unless I go out and buy some more this weekend) and the one that I do have is 1 g FAT formated (and reformating doesn't seem to make a difference, I've tried several times reformatting as FAT and FAT32). I would try my 2g micro sd card, but it's having an issue where it doesn't want to let me write files onto it at the moment. I've tried holding the buttons for over 5 minutes and the device just keeps restarting and never showing me the update screen.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
jdm001
Connoisseur

Mastertech-- Cool, and thanks again for hosting for us brave souls still buying Edges

Lyemi, so you have a fat or fat32 formatted usb drive with only these two exact files:

update.zip
gapps.zip

Nothing else in the names and no other files (except maybe an empty "lost.dir" directory that seems to get added by the edge system as the drive is mounted), is that exactly correct?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Not really, i think the instructions need to be updated.... that's pretty hard to see that you need to change BOTH filenames. Here's what i'm referring to:

From Here: http://edge.ympsa.com/
The instructions: http://www.edge.ympsa.com/PE-GA-README.html

Personally, I think 1b should add the following:

Download the gapps.zip file named gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip, RENAME IT gapps.zip, and place it onto a MicroSD or USB stick.

It goes as far as to say rename the PE-GA-update.zip to update.zip; but it never says the same. I think it's a bit confusing to be honest.

And, by no means, am I saying anyone wasn't helpful, or complaining about the person who hosted the large files on his site for everyone. Very grateful for the whole community; i'm just saying i think it would help other future users if that was added into the instructions.
Sorry, I didn't read the instructions that you did - I just read the instructions in the zip file and those on the site here which talk about the gapps.zip, so assumed that people would have enough nouse to rename both files.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
lyemi123

Finally got it to work today! I bought a new 8g USB and left it FAT32 formatted. It's like magic. It just seems the edge is really picky with certain USBs, because I used the same exact files and setup process. It seems that market is working this time around, which is great because it didn't work before (why I was reinstalling in the first place). Thanks for the help, though!